Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 12:32:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
se84ufo2 wood base bottom (Read 11922 times)
jags79
Verified Member

se84ufo2 wood base bottom
04/19/19 at 23:18:45

Is the bottom of the wood base on a ufo2 made of wood also?

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Re: se84ufo2 wood base bottom
Reply #1 - 05/03/19 at 22:17:25

Yes!  :)

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/19 at 02:14:09

My brand new SE84-225 does not have a wood bottom but I don’t mind. Holy f*#+k it makes the Traps sound great. Rodriguez & Gabriella blew my mind. More on that later.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/19 at 05:32:50

Listening to the Se84ufo225 and traps makes me realize the limitations of my KG4’s, even when powered by my Torii. I rolled the original 6N11’s  to make sure it wasn’t the amperex’s wearing out. It’s probably time to have some spare voltage regulators too. Anyway, I’m sure having fun with the new SE84!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/16/19 at 18:25:42

I wish Steve would have an option for an AIR DRIED MAPLE base.  I'm assuming that all of the wood bases are kiln dried.  I have my stuff mounted on 4 inches of air dried maple and boy it makes a difference.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/16/19 at 18:51:07

contact Zygi! he may can help.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/16/19 at 20:13:13

How is air dried and kiln dried different other than the time it takes to dry?

Or are you pulling our "leg"?  Wouldn't "green" give a better base to sit on since it'd be denser?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/16/19 at 23:21:22

Yes Zygi is a good idea.  Thanks.  His woodworking skills are many by the looks of the speakers he builds.

As far as why AIR DRIED MAPLE:  "Maple's sonic superiority over all other woods is old news to every violin and piano maker since Stradivarius and Steinway.  The high heat of kiln dried maple though weakens the wood's fibers and deadens the sound.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/17/19 at 00:10:29

I see.  Although for an amp base or platform I would think adding to the sound would amount to the addition of noise unlike an instrument where the vibration is the music.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 06/17/19 at 01:09:50

Red sounds better.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #10 - 06/17/19 at 01:58:02

Jags.

The bottom of the bases are HDF as opposed to wood, plywood or MDF

The wood itself is Kiln dried, yes. Finding a source for air dried that would be consistent in %, enough for my use would probably be next to impossible.

I'm not so sure you are correct on the strength of AD vs KD lumber. Hardwoods are never dried at high temps. Usually no higher than 140° for hardwoods, and when cooled they retain their strength. Softwoods use high temp schedules and are used mostly for southern yellow pine.

Both have there issues, I choose KD, if done properly.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 06/17/19 at 02:27:01

Archie,
I am not sure IF an AD maple base would improve the sound.  I do believe that the 4" AD maple platforms that I use do. My amp and source are on the brass triplepoint footers that drain the internal vibes into the maple.  

Zygi,
Thanks for your input.  Now I know that the bottom of the bases are MDF.  They all look very nice without a doubt.  As far as where to get AD Maple I know that Mapleshade gets theirs from Amish craftsmen outside of Maryland.  They air dry the rough cut wood for 4 years before they make equipment racks and platforms out of it.  I've got a couple platforms and I love them.  I think it'd be neat to see a wonderful Zen amp with a base including the bottom made out of it.

IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 06/17/19 at 02:28:07

I meant HDF

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/17/19 at 15:46:39

I'm not arguing that your bases "sound" good but if I'm seeing the right thing, I'm pretty sure that those footers work in both directions and also allow vibration from the platforms to go into the amp.  Spikes are a vibration coupling device.  I'm still looking for a good definition of vibration "draining."  I think it's one of those audiophile terms that doesn't really mean anything.  There is a lot of discussion on this Forum about vibration isolation and vibration dampening.  I personally prefer the former as much as possible.  

That big block of maple may act as a vibration filter and the vibrations it passes may either do little harm or actually enhance to some good effect.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 06/17/19 at 16:13:30

Archie,
The maple platform is essentially a sink for the drained vibrational energy.  Like a heat sink only for internal vibes.  The weights, footers and platform work incredibly to that very end.  Punch, detail, vibrant warmth, and naaatural dynamics.  Oh yeah!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 06/17/19 at 17:11:41

Anything that isn't red has the potential to absorb vibrations from the aura of ancient beings that are in everyone's listening room.
If your base isn't red you are listening to JUNK!  

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/17/19 at 23:58:09

If it's a vibration "sink" then it's damping.  But wood isn't particularly well damped so vibration can go from the wood into the amp.  I have a very solid wood support under my amps and vibration went from the speakers into my house structure and right up into my amps.  I use isolation platforms to break that link.  As I said, I'm not questioning your sound but if you've never tried true isolation, it might be worth an experiment.  When I first put isolation under my speakers I thought I'd lost bass but I really only lost noise/interference.  I have chest thumping bass now that isn't coupled to my floors as a soundboard with a random tuning.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 06/18/19 at 15:21:08

Archie,
The vibrations don't go back into the amp because of the well thought out design and alloy of the footer.  And of course the high pressure point contact versus low pressure area contact helps.  The platform is isolated from external vibes via isoblocks.  The brass weights on top i've found are really critical.  They absolutely reveal bass clarity,HARMONIC RICHNESS, and dynamic nuance.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/18/19 at 16:55:35

I'm not sure what an iso-block is but if it breaks the path of the vibration then you may have already what I was suggesting.  As for what you said about high pressure point contact, that isn't correct.  Spike type supports are absolutely a coupling connection and not an isolating connection and they transmit vibration in both directions.  There is a nice demonstration of this in this link:  https://www.sonicdesign.se/sdfeet.html

I have demonstrated something similar myself but I don't have the vibration measurements to prove it.  Adding/removing mass will shift resonant frequencies so tuning of the "feedback" is possible but given the full range of HIFI sound, I follow the concept of elimination/avoidance rather than tuning.  

I know this started with my question about AD vs KD wood qualities but that is a moot point if vibrations are cut off or damped out.  I still maintain that the gold standard would be if we could suspend our equipment in a vacuum.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/18/19 at 17:05:00

Hmmm... I simply use my mind to levitate all my equipment, sans the speakers, to assure the best vibration control. It's a Jedi mind trick🤯.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 06/19/19 at 00:09:13

Problem solved.  Either put your amp in a vacuum or levitation.  I like that.    Anyway I started this thread by asking the question what is the bottom of the ufo2 made of.  Now I know it is HDF.  High Density Fiber.  I'll bet it is very rigid and stiff and that is a good thing.  I'd still like to see my Air Dried Maple though.  And maybe it would have a sonic advantage.  You never know.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/19/19 at 01:29:38

The Forum wouldn't be any fun if wild tangents weren't allowed!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 06/19/19 at 15:59:33

Amen Archie! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print