Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:20:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this worth even trying on these speakers? (Read 6042 times)
mikec
Verified Member

Is this worth even trying on these speakers?
03/31/19 at 04:54:44

Maybe someone has experience using Decware on wildly incompatible speakers and can offer up some comments. I have two sets of speakers that I listen to. The main ones, Audience The One speakers, are in a desktop system. These contain a single 3" driver, so no crossover. They are fast as hell, but at 84 db sensitivity, are not anywhere near what Decware recommends. I listen at really low volumes though where peaks, when listening "loudly",  are generally around 75db. Would an SE84UFO be able to run these AND sound good doing it? I am sure I could get the volume, but wondering if the musicality that SETs are known for would come thru. I also have a 1957 Ampex console. The electronics are gone, but the speakers still work. They are somewhere around 93db, are pretty muddy in the bass, but they have this really nice ability let go of the notes, probably due to the high sensitivity. The only downfall I can see in pairing them with the SE84UFO would be that they most likely are 16 ohms (although I do not know that for a fact). From what I have read, the amp likes to see much lower impedances. Would this work? Is it even worth trying or should I stick to the SS/hybrid amps I am using? The SE34I.5 seems like a better match (possibly), but it looks larger (and hotter) than what I was looking for.

IP Logged
Colin B
Verified Member

Re: Is this worth even trying on these speakers?
Reply #1 - 04/05/19 at 21:40:41

It depends on how quiet is too quiet. The SE84 will be able to hit a ~85-90 dB peak with a normal line level signal so as long as you're ok without having much headroom you should be fine.

IP Logged
mikec
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/06/19 at 13:27:31

Are you talking 85-90 with the 84db speakers or the 94db speakers?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/19 at 00:40:34

You could try the amp with these speakers and if it doesn’t work return it. Personally I would get a pair of Trapezium desktop speakers and go from there.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mikec
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/19 at 13:39:56

Yeah, I was actually looking at those  ::)  They are not too much bigger than my speakers, but they are bit busy looking in comparison to mine and I was not sure if having the two drivers would annoy me soundwise.

Desktop_small.jpg
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/19 at 16:05:20

I was using a pair of Von Schweikert VR1’s desktop near field. My Trapeziums arrived and I did an A/B comparison. Instantly I noted that the Vons sounded muffled and muted in comparison to the Traps. I placed The Vons for sale and never looked back.

I doubt your speakers are giving you any bass. The Traps use the desktop to create a credible bass response.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mikec
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/07/19 at 23:37:50

I use a sub with mine, so no problems in that area. I did like the comments about the Traps not really needing a sub. Made me think they would have a pleasant tonal balance. Do they get your foot tapping with the right music though?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/08/19 at 00:53:59

The traps were very involving. Easy to listen to.

55   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #8 - 04/08/19 at 02:35:43

Back when I had an SE84CS, I ran many different low sens. speakers in the near field, but all were single driver, no xover.
Try it you might be surprised.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
mikec
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/08/19 at 02:52:12

Well, that gives me some hope. The whole reason I am looking into this is that, even though my Croft Integrated does well at very low volumes with tonality and PRaT, I am wondering if going all tube (and single ended at that) would be even better. I also have this simplistic idea that using a multibit NOS DAC going into a single ended triode and then to a single driver speaker is like the simplest system that could be had.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print