Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 04:38:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii as pre-amp for Torii MkIV? (Read 4050 times)
marcvs66
Verified Member

Mini Torii as pre-amp for Torii MkIV?
03/20/19 at 14:59:25

I'm pretty new to the world of high-fidelity and tube-amplification and all that... so, what I'm saying is: I don't really know what I'm doing/I'm lacking the technical background to fully understand tube-technology...

So, last night I started to wonder if adding a pre-amp to my Torii MkV would actually make it sound even better - when I realized - I might be able to use my Mini Torii 2 as a pre-map... maybe...

I wired it into my set-up and to my surprise, it actually worked pretty well and for some reason, I seem to prefer the sound of the Mini Torii/MkIV combination over going straight into the MkIV. I can't really put my finger on what exactly changes in the sound... a little more authoritative, a little more 'control'... and what doesn't seem to make sense at all: a little more transparent-sounding?

The Mini Torii does add a bit more noise into my system - but not to the degree where it is really noticeable.

I do really like the added ability to control my left and right channels w/ the separate volume-knobs on the Mini. My room-situation is less than perfect and it really helps balancing everything out to the point where I get really nice distribution of sound in my usual seating-position.

Question: is this a bad idea? Too many tubes in play? Am I off my rocker? Am I hearing perceived improvements that aren't really there? Am I doing harm?

In theory, I would favor a set-up that has as few components in the chain as possible. Adding the Mini Torii for potentially 'no good reason' seems counter-intuitive... but it really seems to sound slightly better w/ the Mini in the chain?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mini Torii as pre-amp for Torii MkIV?
Reply #1 - 03/20/19 at 15:28:42

Marc,

It took me a long time to come around to the idea that sometimes keeping it "Simple" isn't the best route.

A GOOD preamp or GREAT preamp is what is needed, but if you have one there is more to play with and experience and get great sound. The Decware preamp components are GREAT preamps. Always worthwhile to try one with the Decware amps, as you've discovered.

Just ignore what your head says about less components etc. Let your ears and heart tell you what sounds best!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
marcvs66
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/21/19 at 14:29:04

Thanks for your comments, Lon - much appreciated.

I spent another 2-3 hours last night w/ the Mini-Torii-as-pre-amp set-up - and I'm still of the opinion, that my MkIV sounds better WITH the Mini than without. I was able to dial everything in to my liking - in between the Mini and the MkIV, there are plenty of settings to be tweaked. We will see, if I still like the sound when I listen again tonight.

I am wondering though, if a CSP3 would be a better option as a pre-amp, than using my 'old' Mini Torii? There's a lot of glass in between those two amps (and the ZP3) - would the simpler design of the CSP3 introduce less noise into my system?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/21/19 at 14:34:15

I don't really know if there will be less noise with the Mini-Torii (no personal experience with that model), it's likely there will be. There will be more flexibility still with the CSP3 with the input and output gain, and the CSP3 is considerably transparent and so tonal balance and dynamics can be played with and dialed in. If you can, get the Type 2 caps and the Anniversary mods. They're worth it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
marcvs66
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/28/19 at 14:58:00

Lon - thanks for your advise/opinion. I did some additional reading and ended up taking the plunge on a used CSP3 (basic beeswax caps but no Anninversary mods.). I should get it on Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that the CSP3 will be an improvement over using the Mini Torii as a pre-amp - I shall see and I'll give a quick report, once I had a chance to assess.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/28/19 at 15:10:42

Cool Marc! I think you'll be quite happy and I await your impressions. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print