05/17/24 at 08:22:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB pair of 3uF caps (Read 3068 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

WTB pair of 3uF caps
03/09/19 at 19:37:12

Hello my friends!  I'm on the hunt for a pair of 3uF caps for a pair of speakers I'm getting ready to assemble.  I'd love to give them the nicest caps I can afford but don't have exorbitant cashflow at my disposal.  Anywho, anyone got a pair of crossover caps siting around lonely?
Thanks for your consideration!

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: WTB pair of 3uF caps
Reply #1 - 03/09/19 at 21:13:00

Hi Dan,

These caps were recommended to me by Zygi for my Monoliths.  I ended up selling the speakers before I used them.

For sale are a pair of new Mundorf MCap Supreme 3.9 uF caps.

I purchased them about 5 months ago, but ended up selling the speakers that I intended to use them in.

I paid $63 for the pair. I’ll let em go for $40 for the pair.

PM me with an email address for photo.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222/Zbit
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/09/19 at 23:45:28

Hi Geno,

That is an awesome generous offering, but I don't know if the fit is right.  

The original cap value was 2.7uF in these speakers.  A person I was talking with said that common thought today was to go with 3uF for these tweets.  I fear if the +/- was on the higher side with the Mundorf's too much frequency would be getting to them.  Do you have any way of measuring the caps you have?

Thank you so much for offering,

Dan

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 03/10/19 at 02:21:56

I’m sorry Dan.  I don’t have a way to measure them. But it does appear that at 3.9, these would not work for you.

Good luck with your search,

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222/Zbit
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/11/19 at 23:41:48

Hey Dan,

I am thinking higher quality 3 uF caps may not be very common, narrowing the field of choices. Lots of companies seem to sell 2.7 and 3.3.

On the other hand, this may present a better option. If you were to get some pretty good 2.7s and bypass them with a 0.22 or 0.33 of a better quality, that would get you close value-wise. Though some mix better than others, bypasses in my experience will bring up the bigger cap quality, the "right" combo potentially being quite a bit better than a single 3uF cap.

What seems to happen with a smaller bypass, especially of good quality, is their character is conveyed in a narrower area of frequencies as defined by the value, potentiating doing those higher frequencies better. It can bring out fine detail, space and articulation more completely and faster, supporting and improving the big cap. Interestingly, a good combo sounds like it effects the whole frequency range, presumably, more refined finer information, more articulately conveyed, causing the mids and bass to feel clearer too when it really works. This is how it seems to me anyway.

On my HR-1s, where I like more than 3.3uF, but less than 3.9, I currently use a Jupiter VT 3.3 with a Miflex Copper/oil 0.22 bypassing it. Wired parallel they come to 3.52. More transparent, but still warm, complex and musical, the Miflex really woke up the slightly dark/thicker VT. Together quite beautiful. The ways the  more open and clear Miflex integrate with the also very resolving, but more subdued VT, it is really good with this particular ribbon tweeter and speaker design. After lots of experiments, I stopped trying after these two settled in.

Especially with different speaker drivers and setups, it can get tricky to get the ultimate without experimenting, but that goes for single caps too, all having a distinct signature.

I have not heard them, but I think soniccraft carries has some 2.7 uF and 3uF sonicaps. Jeff there, also now carries Miflex. The big Miflex are pretty costly, but the smaller values, I think are a great deal for the sound, and not just in speakers. In my amp modifications, using them for coupling caps and bypasses, though I prefer a blend of caps, I have overall liked Miflex copper/oils over other  nice caps I have tried, including Jupiter coppers. And I really like Jupiter coppers, exceptionally resolving and beautiful. With serious listening, as I recall, aspects of their "organic" flavoring ended up feeling a little affected and a little thickish to me. In comparison, the Miflex seemed to have more emphasis on space, while also being quite resolving and harmonically rich....complex and smooth enough to tend to avoid hardness. Could be just me, but they felt more like "no cap" in many places I tried them.

It could be worth contacting Jeff at soniccraft. I have found he knows the sound of what he carries, and cares about quality in what he buys. He also has been selling for DIY and in conversation with a lot of DIY folks for a long time. Also doing modification work, he seems to have a relatively broad knowledge of what things sound like. He may be able to point you to a cap in your budget range, or a cap and bypass that might mix well with the drivers you are working with. I am wondering about a relatively inexpensive 2.7 of his sonicaps bypassed by a Miflex Copper/oil? Or maybe for more money, perhaps a Mundorf ZN for the 2.7 with Miflex for a bypass.....Or some other similar combo might take your to a good place.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/13/19 at 15:45:34

Will,  
Thanks so much for your insight and experience into "custom blending"  I was really hoping for a single cap that was well regarded and could make a simple install.  But now maybe paralleling might not be such a bad idea after all.  in the meantime I did get Solen as a place holder as well as just to get these things up and running.  Hopefully this may come as soon as this week end.  At any rate, Thanks again.  Hope you have a nice day.  ;)
Dan

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/19 at 16:53:24

Hey Dan,

Glad things are moving along, and I hope the speakers sound great!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print