Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:29:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is there ever a point where it sounds too real? (Read 19553 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Is there ever a point where it sounds too real?
02/23/19 at 01:06:11

Is there ever a point where it sounds too real...

yes.

When it sounds too real, it sets off a fight or flight response because you know it's not real, and your eyes can't see anything in your room other than speakers so what happens is a gross conflict of senses.  Your ears are telling you it's real, you eyes are telling you it's not real.  Since this is a physical conflict between light and sound, the only way to deal with it is to surrender to it and leave your body while you listen.

I bring this up tonight because I am listening to a TORII MKIV before I ship it out on Tuesday and this one has the full Anniversary mods done to it!  I am astounded at how tight the bass is and the percussion this amp has.  Rim shots or anything done on wood blocks, for example, sound completely real to the point of insanity.

Not the the MKIV has ever been shy on power, but the 25th Anniversary Upgrades make the amplifier sound as though the power has easily doubled.

The only information on 25th Anniversary mods are scattered throughout this forum (use search function at the top of the page to find it) but for those with TORII MKIV or any version of the TORII, the mods are as follows:  Beeswax bypass mod $700 and Glass Resistor Mod $280.

The glass resistors are special 1% precision metal film resistors that are encased in a glass tube sealed at the ends with metal and an inert atmosphere.  There are no "audiophile" resistors being sold that are this good.

Anyway, if you own a TORII and are not familiar with the Anniversary Mods or on the fence about doing it, I'll give you an idea just how big a difference it actually makes;  Had I heard a TORII MK4 with these mods, the more powerful ZMA amplifier would have never happened, guaranteed.

I just switched to the heavy duty tests to really flex the amp and juice up the caps... dubstep.... the insane bass and the way this amplifier is handling it just has me shaking my head over and over and over.  

You know, I'm just going to admit it - I (of all people) had no idea how good these amps actually are.  For 23 years I've throttled them back to make them somewhat forgiving and affordable.  Now I hear what I could have been listening to all this time ; ).

The experience called "listening" no longer captures it.  It's way more than listening, the satisfaction from hearing this sound it is more like a drug, or like eating chocolate or your favorite food.  It is very physical.  Especially when using the DNA2 loudspeakers, and did I mention OMG how tight the bass is and how low it drops???  Holy crap it's good stuff.

Happy listening

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Is there ever a point where it sounds too real?
Reply #1 - 02/23/19 at 01:42:32

The "Happy Listening" many of us have we owe a lot to you Steve, and we appreciate your explorations into the audio ether and we reap the benefits hungrily.

Great to hear that every model that has the mods installed is a winner. I'm listening to my modded CSP3 and my modded Taboo Mk IV working together right now in my newly set up living room audio-video system and just marveling at how good they sound. And Tuesday or so I'll have a modded CSP2+ to check out. I realize how lucky and blessed I am.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/19 at 17:04:41

Over the past year I've often wished I had jumped back into audio sooner after my long absence from serious listening and tinkering. I would have learned more along the way etc & etc, but right now I am so glad I took the plunge when I did.
With my brand new upgraded ZTPRE (thanks again Steve), my new modded ZROCK2, my ToriiMKIV all upgraded and modded, my DNA2's breaking in nicely I think I may have really lucked out with timing. I've gotten to jump back in over the last 9 months and reap all the benefits of Steve's several decades of building better and better gear.
 I've often wrestled with "should I have started right off with a ZMA, did I miss the boat on that one?" well, over the past week, since getting my amp back and ZTPRE into the system, I don't feel the need. Sure when the first watt doesn't suck, how could another 15 not be fabulous?? I'm sure it would, but even in my really very large, volumous room (rooms) I really feel satisfied that my  TORII's 25 watts is plenty for the job at hand. Even with the significant room treatments, which seem to suck sound right out of the air, I can play the system sufficiently loud enough, cleanly, to blow myself away. That's a lot said for the modded, upgraded MKIV and all the gain added items in the chain. I'm loving it! I'd highly recommend all upgrades and anniversary mods, a home run there, many times over.
HAPPY LISTENING is an understatement. Smiley
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/26/19 at 00:44:43

I'm getting so tempted to send in my Jupiter capped Torii Mk III for the Anniversary upgrade. Can't take reading about all this Anniversary upgrade goodness much longer.

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/19 at 02:27:38

Not trying to influence you in any way...
Those upgrades will make it seem like you also got a speaker upgrade for free   Smiley

Best,
Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 03/30/19 at 05:28:27

Still listening to the 25th Anniversary Mods on the TORII MK4 amplifier...

First off, let me say I have a whole new respect for the TORII MK4!  I have never heard it sound this good!  It's fundamental design is exploited by these mods. The mods add great speed, detail, imaging, control and even headroom to the amplifier. If you needed a single adjective to describe all that, I would nominate "animated".

So why do these mods exploit the TORII design, and why is that a good thing, and what the hell does it mean anyway?

Let's get into the TORII design for a second.

What makes it different is that it is a pentode with no feedback so without careful design, the amplifiers current output will increase with loudspeaker impedance. And it does,... the careful design being how far I let it bend the stick.  You know, nothing like stored energy

Since loudspeakers have large peaks around the bass region and an ever increasing rise in impedance as we get into the treble region, the Zen TORII MK4 becomes super energetic in the bass and in the highs. This happens because there is a direct relationship between the complex impedance of the loudspeaker and the amplifier's output current. Put another way the amplifier and the loudspeaker have intercourse.

This is unusual, as most amplifiers have feedback or in the case of triodes, are linear no matter what the impedance of the loudspeaker is.  In fact in today's world it is common to see amplifiers with extra high damping factors "so they can't feel the loudspeaker" gaining greater consistency from speaker to speaker.  Speakers on the other hand are typically made with complex crossovers  that show the amplifier a benign impedance curve that is much flatter than normal. It's like the amplifier has a rubber on, and the speaker has a rubber on, so we can be absolutely certain there will be no real connection between the two.

So the TORII is intensionally the exact opposite and these mods gave it far greater control while at the same time making it twice as animated. Truly difficult to stop listening to! It sounds very alive which is one of the hallmark qualities of the SE84UFO25 that has so completely wrecked 50 people including myself and counting.  

Without getting into comparisons between this amp and the ZMA, the point of this post was to document the observation that this amp responds better than any other amp to the 25th Anniversary mods, because of it's nature. The TORII MK4 is like a small block chevy with some real torque and great RPMs.  The ZMA is like a big block with even more torque and having owned both over my 40 year addiction to muscle cars, I still can't frick'in decide which is better and many are in the same camp. Which is better might well be determined by the weight of the car you put it in and the chassis.  The weight of the car is speaker efficiency, and the chassis is room acoustics.

Back to the music... I have Qobuz playing 24bit recordings from my modified TEAC DAC feeding the ZTPRE which is feeding a ZBIT that is feeding the TORII MK4. Using the DNA2 speakers since that became a reference during the 6 months of intensive listening to the SE84UFO25. The tubes which I only intended to play with for a few nights are inexpensive Russian 807's that cost around 10.00 ea on eBay.  Driving them with gold pin Siemens 6922's.  Clearly these output tubes are the best bang for the buck I have ever found for Decware amplifiers.  You need an adapter to run them, but those can also be purchased on eBay for around the same price.

What I hear with these 807's is insane midrange liquidity with absolute clarity and realistic presence.  The bass is soft and firm at the same time.  In fact after listening to it for a week I realized it is more realistic bass.  Never gets fluttered or out of control, or overbearing or too heavy. It's like the tube can feel the speaker through the amplifier (which it can btw) and make adjustments on the fly.  It's just 100% perfect bass all the time no mater what you through at it.

Rectifiers are the same Psvane 5U4 that we ship with SE84UFO25.

Oh, and btw, now having had Qobuz for several weeks now, I have figured out why I was so impressed with TIDAL's MQA high res stuff.  It was simply better sounding than the 320bps standard stream so it sounded magical...  the real 24 bit material on Qobuz is about the same amount of difference, making TIDAL history in my life. Wink

In closing, listening to this amplifier tonight is giving me a serious dose of proud papa syndrome!  Yea, I would hang my name on this ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 03/30/19 at 06:13:24

OMG!

PACIFIC AM, from the Album TOY, by Yello (Borris Blank).  A 24bit, 48khz recording streamed from Qobuz being played on the TORII MK4 with Anniversary mods...  I decided to turn the volume WAY up and see what happens...  This is usually a great way to wreck a good thing. Not tonight! Another seriously HOLY CRAP moment!  

I wish I could find a way to describe the leading edges of the notes, especially the power notes, on this amplifier. Solid state is so slow compared to this!. Yes, I know that statement will get a lot of engineer's panties in a bunch, but I could really care less because I can prove it. The CRUNCH factor is on a scale of 1 to 10 at least a 17. It's just got so much SMACK and ATTACK and SIZE while it remains juicy warm the whole time. No shit, I think this might be better than sex folks...

Having way to much fun myself, now...

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/30/19 at 10:25:44

How much would it cost to upgrade a Torii III? I already have the Jupiter caps.

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/30/19 at 11:51:15

Steve will need to answer, or Sarah, as the price list presented on the forum only shows the poly bypass mod for the Torii Mk III:

amods2.jpg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/30/19 at 13:45:54

Steve,
Thanks for your update, it’s always nice to hear that I’m not just “Thinking” my system is sounding awesome from all the additions and upgrades and Anniversary Mods!
I’m also running Qobuz and Tidal (til my year subscription  is up) through Roon, it really is something to have such a huge library at your finger tips sounding soo amazing. What a great vehicle for instant discovery of “New Music” and the ability to pull something like “Toy by Yello” out of the ether and have it right now, I like it.
My system feed is pretty similar to what you have going right now, sonicTransport  to Mytek Brooklyn DAC to ZTPRE to ZBIT to ZROCK2 to Torii MKIV to DNA2’s (with a REL S3 SHO slid in there Smiley)
It would be extremely hard for me to not think I’m not getting close...to whatever it is I’m chasing!
Thanks for the great description of the MKIV, it saves from having to come up with my own, I have it printed out for future reference.
Good Weekend to All,
Best,
Scott
Guess I’m headed to eBay for some 807’s, like it will ever end Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 03/30/19 at 17:34:26

If the TORII MK3 is already upgraded with Beeswax caps, then it is treated like a TORII MK4 with respect to the mods.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 04/13/19 at 04:15:49

Having another mind bending night with the TORII MK4 with Anniversary Mods.I've played the $10 Russian 807's 12 hours a day for weeks now and have worn them out a bit as evidence by the once tight airy bass now becoming bloated. So back to a fresh set of Tungsol KT66 and it's a double whammy because not only is the bass rock tight, but the power is also doubled. 807 has reduced power in the TORII MK4 but still usually always enough.

So tonight I wanted to treat myself so I pulled out the big guns...  a M&K RealTime Records Live two-track direct to disc 45RPM LP of Ed Graham "Hot Stix"

First of all I have to say that overwhelming take-away of this experience was the EXQUISITE timing and dynamics and space. Really on every benchmark I have never heard anything better. This not only becomes completely real right in front of your face, but also demonstrates what one in a million drummers with 'the gift' can really do. This recording played back on both the HR-1 and the DNA2 which is what was easily within reach, is literally perfect. I've never been able to say that about any recording before. The amazing thing is how well the TORII MK4 let me experience it. Effortlessly and 100% believable. Smoothest raw textures you'll ever hear.

Let's put it this way, I have already listened to both sides twice, and will probably do a final cleaning and then get serious about listening to it several more times. This kind of sound quality makes digital sound comparatively stupid. even DSD, sorry.

Also as someone who has played the drums I have to say that I pay a lot of attention to the drummer in any recording if the recording will allow it, and a drum solo is pretty much all telling.  This man, Ed Graham, I have never heard a drummer this good, ever.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/15/19 at 00:36:33

I packed up my Torii today and it’s off to the Mother Ship for the anniversary upgrades! The ZP3 will be right behind it! Can’t wait!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/15/19 at 00:48:05

Bike,
You are going to be very happy with your decision, it is like getting a completely new amp.
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 04/15/19 at 01:20:24

I agree with Scott. The wait is hard but the results are stellar!

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/10/19 at 23:35:37

Could we see a really cool pic of Torii MKIV 25th upgrade insides??

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/11/19 at 03:09:16

I think I have one or two, I took some closeups when Steve was trying to help me with a problem. I’ll do a look in the morning and post if I find them.
Scott

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/11/19 at 15:10:16

I found a bunch, here is one for you.
A whole bunch of expensive caps and goodness!
Smiley
Scott

IMG_0108.jpg

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/11/19 at 19:04:04

wow! Just look at all those jupiter caps!

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/12/19 at 01:24:59

Way cool! Thanks Scott! I didn’t have type II caps so I upgraded to those along with the 25 upgrades. I should get it back on Wednesday!

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/12/19 at 20:14:55

No problem, enjoy...
It’s one of those keeps on giving gifts from Steve, that is so much of what DecWare is. A new journey.
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/16/19 at 18:53:50

I hooked up the MKIV-25 last night and listened for a few hours. I had the caps replaced with type II beeswax along with the bypass upgrades. Initially it seemed pretty much like it did before. During the night, after a Jimmie Dale Gilmore recording, I played some Johnny A. The Johnny A made me take a step back, blink my eyes. It kinda jumped right out at me. Should be more fun to come! My ZP3 returns this next Tuesday and then I'll check out some vinyl. Cheers!!

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/22/19 at 17:17:48

I received my ZP3-25 back last night and hooked it up to the MKIV-25! Absolutely wonderful sound on my KG-4's. The holographic airy and dynamic sound has returned! Thanks Decware for the affordable hi-fidelity experience!!

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/17/20 at 04:01:49

I currently have the model SE84UFO but I’m thinking about going for the model SE84UFO25. The ToriII MKIV looks attractive too. The ToriII Mono I like as well. I’m leaning towards the ToriII Mono. Can someone please advise me if they will be good for the Lii Audio Fast 10 drivers? Also this amp is over $5k and I would assume at this price it’s has the 25 anniversary mods?
What do you folks think of this amp and has anyone owned this amp? If so please share your thoughts.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #24 - 04/17/20 at 04:54:13

Hi Alex,

The TORII Mono's do come with the latest mods, yes. And the the listed price is for each amp/channel. That said, those amplifiers would not have as good a low level performance as all of our other amps including yours.  They like to be turned up a bit to get in the zone, and with an efficient speaker that means you're going to be listening pretty loud.  The ZMA is a better choice if low level performance is important to you, otherwise the sound of both is great.  If you want a bit more bloom in the bass and the ability to adjust the treble to anywhere you like, then the TORII MK4 is the amp.  As great as all of these are, if you don't need more power, the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode is still king.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/17/20 at 11:38:11

Steve, thank you very much for your advice; I’ll be deciding between the  anniversary amp and the MK IV. With that being said, I have the ZROCK II which I’m my opinion controls the treble and bass in my system. Would this not be counter productive to the MK IV if that model controls the treble and bass as well? If this is the case then the SE84UFO25 would be better being that I can utilize that amp with the ZROCK.
Please share your thoughts.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 04/17/20 at 13:16:27

Alex, I use the ZROCK2 in two systems, one with a CSP2+ and Taboo Mk IV, both outfitted with the 25th Anniversary mods, the other with a ZTPRE, CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods, and pair of SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary Mods. The Monoblocks have the treble cut control but I have not used it since the ZROCK2 settled into the system. I had a Torii Mk III with bass and treble controls before these, and I can honestly say that I enjoy the Monoblocks and ZROCK2 so much more. If you can arrange the right speaker/amp match either one of these types of designs, one with the bass and treble control, one without, will offer you adjustable involving sound. The amp and speaker matching is important in selecting one or the other.

Adding the ZROCK2 to an amplfier that also has tonal controls is beneficial as well. Even more fine adjustment over tonal possibiities and also another gain-stage to hitch a ride on. You know how killer a ZROCK2 is in a system. If your speakers are very happy with your UFO, then I think you'll be gob-smacked at how much more the Anniversary amp will bring to the table.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/17/20 at 15:43:07

Thank you for the advice Lon. So being that your are also a respected member of this forum, you have thrown another monkey wrench in the mix which I will consider: The SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary Mods. It seems like these come in pairs so I would buy 2 (1 for each speaker). Is this correct? Are you saying you use the ZROCK II with this amp/amps? If so do you use two ZROCKS (1 on each amp)? or do you use one ZROCK on both amps? If so how did you bridge the ZROCK to feed both amps?
SO I have to decide between the following: Torii MKIV with the 25th anni mods, the SE84UFO25, and the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary Mods.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 04/17/20 at 18:27:23

You are correct Alex, the Monoblocks are not stereo amps but one amp for each stereo channel. So only one set of binding posts for a speaker on each amp, and though there are two inputs on the amps they are still just going to take one RCA interconnect cable each, so you'll have a left amp and a right amp.

The ZROCK2 (yes, I use one with the Monoblocks) has an output for each channel of the stereo pair, so one RCA interconnect will go to the left Monoblock, and one to right Monoblock--no bridging necessary, one ZROCK2 is designed to run a stereo amp or two Monoblock amps.

I think Steve might say that if you don't need the extra bit of power the Monoblocks give the stereo amp may be the better sounding by a thin hair line sonically. Or not--the seclusion of each channel and the bit of extra power do make a difference I'm sure. One amp versus two does save a bit on power cables, tubes, isolation stuff, etc.

Anyway I would have no fear that your ZROCK2 will sit idle no matter your choice.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/18/20 at 00:21:13

Thank you for your advice Lon.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/19/20 at 21:12:00

Folks I have a few questions about the SE84UFO25: On the order page I saw the following:
1.      Volume control Stepped attenuators - $150 or Smooth action volume controls (Free) or No volume control option. What is the purpose of the attenuators? How might this affect the music please.
2.      Signal Caps: VCAPs - $150 or Copper Foil Beeswax caps. (free). How does this affect the music?
I was under the impression that if one orders the 25th anniversary amp, I would have the best of the mods.

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 04/19/20 at 21:38:04

Well, there is info on both of these options on the forum though I admit searching for them might be hard to manage.

As for the stepped attenuators. . . it's possible that the "resistor" method may make a slightly more "accurate" sound, especially consistent throughout the volume range. I enjoy having them because I have Monoblocks and I like to know exactly at what point of attenuation I am on both channels. And I do think when I have been able to compare them to the standard volume control that there may be a tiny bit of clarity using the attenuators compared to the standard. That may be system dependent, and it's not a large difference. Stepped resistor attenuators are more expensive than the "smooth" ones. . . so that's why you pay a bit more for the option.

As for the V-Cap and beeswax capacitor differences. . . . I've never heard the V-Caps. They are a more expensive option because I guess Teflon is a lot more expensive than beeswax. And Teflon also takes a longer time to break in, so I have never really wanted to live through the long break-in, and the V-Caps have a reputation of being "ruthlessly revealing" and earlier on in my audio journey "ruthless revealing" seem to mean listener fatigue for me, so I steered clear. If you search the forums you can find some first hand reporting on the V-Caps in the amps and preamps and can get an idea of what that difference entails.

You are getting awesome mods with the 25th Anniversary amp. . . . These options are more to match your system and taste needs.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/20/20 at 01:12:29

Awesome. Thank you very much Lon. You are giving me some well valued advice and things to think about.
I really appreciate you input.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 04/20/20 at 01:52:54

FWIW,

Chris VenHaus (VH Audio) who manufactures the TFTF VCAPS has introduced a series of three new capacitors.  The original TFTF caps are now discontinued and existing stock is being sold at a 40% discount.

I have not used any of the new capacitors and they appear to be priced higher than many other brands. Here is a link for additional information of the new VCAP offerings: https://www.v-cap.com/products.php.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print