Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 12:12:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB Speakers: high efficiency speakers DM945 (Read 6869 times)
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

WTB Speakers: high efficiency speakers DM945
02/17/19 at 11:52:49

I am looking to buy a pair of high efficiency speakers for my mini torrii. I am thinking dm944/945, but if you have something else you'd recommend, I'm listening.

Thanks, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: WTB Speakers: high efficiency speakers DM945
Reply #1 - 02/17/19 at 12:14:23

Jon, I haven't heard the Decware speakers you've listed but I do have HR-1s but they are probably more expensive than you want.  The speakers I listen to most and will never part with are Zu Audio Soul's...they pair wonderfully with Decware Amps.  I have run them with 2 WPC 2008 Mono Blocks, a Rachel, and a Torii MK IV.  I have no doubt they'd pair well with the Mini Torii you bought.  They are efficient at 99dB and 8 ohm.  Here's a listing on audiogon I saw recently.  I would offer 12 or 13 hundred looking to pay $1500.  I'll leave links to the ad and Zu Audio's "Soul" page.  Do a search on the Decware Forums and you'll find descriptions by me and others.  Hope this helps.  Mark.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9bdi2-zu-audio-soul-mkii-monitors

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul

These are what mine look like...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/19 at 12:55:10

Mark,  Thank you for the recommendation. I will check these out. As you can see from the Decware speakers I mentioned, I'd like to say under $1,000 if possible, but for the right speakers I'd be willing to pay more. I guess I should say I listen mostly to vinyl but also some digital, all types of music from classic rock, blues, jazz, and classical. Probably my favorite through is classic rock. Thanks again, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/17/19 at 14:03:19

Jon,

You might also want to check out Omega speaker system offerings. Single driver speakers that pair well with Decware amps. Should be able to find a used pair for under $1k here or on Audio Circle classifieds.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/19 at 17:04:02

Mark,

Nice looking Zu Souls.  I am wondering if you have heard other Zu speakers.  I have the Omen DW MkII's.  I am considering something from the Soul line. Potentially the same speakers you have.  I would love to know if you have heard any other Zu offerings and if so, how they sound in relation to your Souls!

John

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/17/19 at 17:35:37

John, no I haven't.  If I were to buy another pair it'd be the Soul Supreme or Soul Superfly which are 16 ohm.  Until I bought the Rachel with the UFO Transformer, I only had the Transformers best with 4 to 8 ohm speakers.  I really don't need them and would only do it for a ridiculously low price.

There are several here with the Supremes or the Superflys...do  a search, they love them.  

In regards to Omega Loudspeakers. They too pair well with Decware Amps and they have many fans here.  I own two pair both with Alinco drivers.  I prefer the Zu's.  I found the Omega's to have a highend more pronounced than I like and they needed a bit more power than my 2 WPC Monoblock had.  I do need to try them again though, many things have changed in my systems since I last used them.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/17/19 at 17:43:56

Jon,

Soul supremes are absolutely fantastic speakers. They pair really great with mk IV.

I would recommend starting with “dirty weekends” from ZU and move up from there.

DE are about 1k and soul supremes are 5x that.

You may also want to add undertone sub to the setup for ultimate low end.

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/17/19 at 18:04:56

I had some ZU DW in walnut for a bit, they didn’t work out for me because of my room, but it’s a hell-of-good speaker for the money. Good company to deal with, Sean Casey really helped me with room treatments plus they have an unbeatable return if they don’t work out for you.
Good luck in your search...
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/17/19 at 18:26:24

Jon, I don't think you'll need a sub.  I don't use one in the system with my Zu Soul's but in my primary system I had to try one.  I was unwilling to pay up for the Zu Undertone at $2850 ...even used they're too much but I'm sure they're great.  I opted for an older model of Omega's sub.  I think it retails for about $895 now and much less used.  It is very flexible and also is able to go into the mid bass territory. It blends easily in my system.

The Dirty Weekend is a good suggestion right at $1000 retail but they are not in regular production and do use some lower grade items to bring the cost down.  I include a link to the DW page below.  They say the next run will be in April or May.  Towards the bottom of the page they have a chart that compares the Omen MK II to the Dirty Weekend so you can see exactly what you're not getting.  I personally would buy used and get a higher model that someone has broken in for you.

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/deepomega-8-subwoofer?variant=32198253068...

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/17/19 at 21:39:16

I have the Omen Dirty Weekends II and they work wonderfully with the SE84UFO amp. You can get the base speaker in Hickory for $999. They only build them twice a year in batches and will likely begin taking new orders in March or April. I highly recommend the combination.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/18/19 at 00:51:26

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. It does sound like the Zu’s are getting a lot of positive praise here. I will give them night consideration. Unless I find an absolute steal, I’m going to be patient and it’s this decision. I’d like to find something I know I’ll be happy with.

Thanks again, Jon.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/18/19 at 01:37:54

Sorry for some of the autocorrect errors in that last post. I was typing on my phone. Thanks again, Jon.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Delta 77

Reply #12 - 02/18/19 at 22:21:53

Forgive me if I sound like a Tekton fan boy..
I have a set of Double Impact SE’s on order..!!
Should be a step up from my Seas Pendragon’s..
But While in waiting, I’ve been having buyers remorse, thinking that maybe “The Perfect Set” speakers would have been a better contender for lower level listening.. Not to mention Easier to fit in smaller rooms, and also Easier to place closer to the rear walls (front ports), than the D.I. SE’s ..
There is a review that’s coming out on “The Perfect Set” soon...

If I hadn’t bought a ZMA last year and DI’s on order..

I would be Highly debating pairing “The Perfect Set” with a 25th Anniversary Amp, or a pair of 25th Modded mono amps..

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
DECWARE-CSP3-25th(HP amp)
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #13 - 02/19/19 at 22:05:36

I have a pair of 945's that I would sell - original owner - great condition.  I will send you a PM.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
thehighend
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 02/23/19 at 20:25:10

I would echo the opinion that you try Omega speakers.  I unfortunately need to part with a new pair of Omegas that I purchased recently, but my initial impressions are that Omega speakers are truly something special.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/24/19 at 23:52:21

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I have found a pair of 945s. Maybe later I will look to try some other speakers, but for now I have a pretty limited budget. These seem like they will be great speakers to compare to in the future. Take care all, Jon.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print