Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:32:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Silly question: mono output in lieu of switch? (Read 2724 times)
out-of-step
Verified Member

Silly question: mono output in lieu of switch?
01/24/19 at 03:59:10

A standard CSP2 has a stereo output and a mono output but a mono switch is evidently a rare optional mod. Is there any issue with connecting both outputs of the CSP2 to the inputs of one SE84C+? Using a Y cable for the mono out > stereo ins of course. That way one could switch between mono or stereo by switching between the CSP's two outputs with the SE84C+'s input switch.

Since I listen to a lot of older mono material, summing to mono can be useful to reject grunge when playing mono vinyl w/stereo cart or if one is lucky 'fixing' some kinds of nonsense like fake stereo that unfortunately afflict some reissues.

X
Decware CSP2+ + ZMF Atticus or Sennheiser HD-600 - SEC84C+ + Trapeziums - Pioneer 79DVi or Schiit Bifrost Multibit - WTT + Soundsmith Othello + Schiit Mani - DAG - DHC1s - BJC 10 white - IS500 isolator - Feline Gain Limiter
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Silly question: mono output in lieu of switch?
Reply #1 - 03/06/19 at 00:21:39

Hey, didn't see this question til today. I think there would be no problem at all to do this. Though I'm no expert. I know the mono output is there meant for a subwoofer, but I don't believe there is any frequency manipulation going on at all, it should be just the two channels summed.

I did have a CSP2+ and a ZP3 that I had Steve add a mono switch to and that was a neat solution. But I don't see why your proposal wouldn't work.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print