Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 07:50:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first Decware amp listening experience (Read 5231 times)
rodcad
Verified Member

My first Decware amp listening experience
01/19/19 at 21:32:03

Hi all,
So I had a guy whom I met on the Klipsch forum come over today and we put in some new Crites crossovers in the Cornwalls. The speakers are 33 years old so this really freshened them up nicely.

Mike also brought over an older Decware Zkit1 Zen amp that he built and we hooked up my DAC with Decware cables and the laptop with a DH Labs USB cable. Did not use the Decware power cords yet.

HOLY CRAP! I am blown away by how good this all sounds. 2 watts is enough! I was really happy to hear this firsthand with my current gear. This is totally the sound I have been looking for. I'm stoked to know I'm not going to have to spend $20k to get great sound. The months away UFO3's will be plenty good enough. I don't think I'll need a Zrock or a pre-amp. I will probably get the Decware line conditioner, a few more power cords along with the monoblocks and call it a day.

It's crazy that the 2 watt Zkit1 which Mike has all of barely $300 in completely kicks my $2000 70 watt Hegel integrated away. It won't blow down the walls but it's more than loud enough for my decent sized room.

What's even more awesome is Mike LEFT the Zkit1 here for me to play with as he's not using it! Yay me! Lol

Incoming UFO3's or UFO25, (2)Zkit1's, PS Audio Digital Link III, LR laptop, Cornwall's.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My first Decware amp listening experience
Reply #1 - 01/19/19 at 22:12:14

That's amazing rod cad! You'll be very happy with the Monoblocks--more power than the Zenkit and more refined sound as well. And you have that amp to play with for a while. BOOM. You're good for the wait!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 01/20/19 at 04:02:46

2 watts does great with your high efficiency Klipsch. I had a pair of Forte’s when I first got my SE84UFO and it was more than loud enough.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/20/19 at 13:38:44

Anniversary Monoblocks ?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/20/19 at 13:47:36

From the build list it appears they are non-Anniversary.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/20/19 at 14:48:23

I’d openly, strongly advise the original poster to modify his order to include the anniversary modifications.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
rodcad
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/20/19 at 15:37:59

I would love the 25th's obviously, will probably come down to how my cash flow is when they come up for building. I've changed my mind seemingly a dozen times already, lol. Sarah will probably be happy when my order is done. Maybe it will speed them up?  One can only wish Smiley

I've written down the features and costs of the UFO3's, the UFO3-25's and the UFO25. I'm hoping to not go down the rabbit hole cost wise like I've done with bicycles in the past. I don't want to get an amp then realize shit, now I need a $5000 DAC, and on and on and on. I'm really going for a super nice, yet modest system.

Incoming UFO3's or UFO25, (2)Zkit1's, PS Audio Digital Link III, LR laptop, Cornwall's.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/20/19 at 16:03:14

Point taken. . . . The mods do increase the price and I can see the danger in the idea of more detail meaning more imperfections involved.

I do have a very expensive source. But I also have less expensive sources in a tuner (not a cheap tuner, but far less expensive than my transport and DAC combo!) and a universal player (Oppo UDP-205, not inexpensive but again a quarter of the price I paid for my transport and DAC combo). And I have to say that they sound really good via my system and its 25th Anniversary Modified SE84UFO3 amps. Now I have a ZTPRE and a ZROCK2 going as well, and they certainly contribute, but I just want to say that I don't think the Mods would make the Monoblocks "less musical." They increase the musicality.

IP Logged
rodcad
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/20/19 at 16:16:46

Good to know Lon, thank you.

What i find interesting with this little kit amp so far (besides sounding sweet) is the difference it reveals in recordings. I played one song I wanted to hear for all of ten seconds and thought oh hell no. Sounded horrible. The songs Mike recommended sounded amazing, all stuff I have never heard of. I'm a classic rock guy at heart, but also love jazz and the blues. I love to swing dance and also like big band era music, Sinatra, etc.

I've looked over the "what's spinning" thread many, many times and will slowly go through what you all are listening to and check them out.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 01/20/19 at 16:32:43

Yes, the amps really do show you what you have on a recording. And they also help you connect to the music, so I wouldn't be surprised  if you find enjoyment from music that you hadn't connected with before. My years with Decware led me into listening to early recordings in jazz because I could hear into the sound of the recordings from the 'twenties, 'thirties and 'forties more than ever before, and into classical music, which I hadn't really "connected" with before.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/20/19 at 20:02:37

I must agree with Lon and also add my encouragement to push the envelope and add the 25th Anniversary mods to your build. You may miss the dollars a bit now but you will definitely enjoy the result far into the future! Hapyy exploring and listening.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print