Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 09:12:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For Sale: BorderPatrol DAC SE USB (Read 6914 times)
TimB
Verified Member

For Sale: BorderPatrol DAC SE USB
01/07/19 at 22:19:03

I've got a BorderPatrol DAC SE USB for sale in mint condition, used for about 6 months or so and I'm the original owner.  Asking $1150 plus shipping.

I'll try to post a couple pics either tonight or tomorrow.

PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,
Tim

IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Re: For Sale: BorderPatrol DAC SE USB
Reply #1 - 01/09/19 at 03:23:27

Front

IMG_1698.jpeg
  IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/09/19 at 03:26:05

Rear

IMG_1700.jpeg
  IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/12/19 at 03:56:14

Sold

IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/14/19 at 03:48:27

Hey Tim,

I’m new to this forum but was really excited since you had the exact same speakers (Zu Omen and Underone) as I had and I was curious about how the Border Patrol DAC sounded. You are the only non-reviewer I know of to
have had time with it.

Do you mind if I ask why you sold it?  Did it not sound as good as you had hoped with the Rachel?  Find a better DAC?

Thanks for any info you can share.

SE84UFO25/Border Patrol DAC/Zu Omens/Zu Undertone Sub
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/16/19 at 00:49:08

Hi Tim,

I am also interested in same feedback as Chester as I have similar setup. Soul supremes with undertone and am seriously considering BP DAC.

I currently have Schiit Modi MB as DAC.

Thanks
RF

IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/16/19 at 04:07:02

Sure, I'll give you my impressions and motivations.  First off the BorderPatrol does sound amazing.  Very smooth, easy to listen to.  Really, it was a great match with the Rachel in my opinion.

So why did I sell it?  Well, I bought a Modi Multibit for my family room system and was surprised by the clarity.  So, I started reading up on the Yggdrasil and if it might be worth trying in my main system.

At their cores, I think the Yggy and the BP are close cousins.  The BP has a NOS (non-oversampling) DAC chip that's R-2R (ladder), so it plays the samples it receives.  The Yggy also uses an R-2R chip, and while it does do oversampling, it's one of the only (I think the only) ones that preserves the original samples while performing the upsampling.  Most upsampling DACs, for lack of better terms toss out the original samples when they do the math to create the upsampled stream.  The argument for doing upsampling is to allow the filter to roll off more gently which causes fewer artifacts in the audible spectrum.

If I had to sum it, I'd say the BP is rock solid and sounds liquid smooth.  The Yggy is similar, but it's an edge case, it's not like anything else out there, but the sound is pretty amazing, very dynamic and detailed.  $1,000 more amazing than the BP? For me, yeah, I think so.  I listen to *everything*, from acoustic singer-songwriter played softly for an intimate feel to massive works for Pipe Organ and Orchestra played at concert hall levels.

If the Rachel was my only amp and I did all my listening through it, I would have stayed with the BP no question.

Hope that's not too much rambling.  I'm no DAC expert, so I may have some of the theory wrong here, but this is at least how I understand it.

IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/16/19 at 05:16:12

Hey Tim,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply (and checking back through old posts). I’m still probably 2 months out on my Torri Jr. and will try out the BP once it’s in. Glad you found the sound you were looking for.

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/17/19 at 07:00:36

Hi Tim,

Thanks for reply.

So I have modi Multibit... in your opinion how much better is BP compared to modi MB?

Is it really worth the updgrade from modi Mb to BP?

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/18/19 at 01:47:20

"How much" better is hard to quantify.  It really depends on how much of a stretch that extra $1,000 is with your budget, and what your audio goals are.  I believe the BP is "better" than the Modi MB if you're going for ease of listening and smoothness.  It's also a cool piece to own - it's gotten a lot of press in Stereophile - there have been two reviews and two follow-ups over four consecutive months. It really has got people divided.

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 01/19/19 at 02:38:38

Tim/Chester/RF,

Looks like we all swim in the same seas.  I have the Omen's and the Torii Mk III.  I have been debating between the BP dac, one of the schiit dacs and a used Chord Qutest.  If I don't find a deal on a Qutest I am guessing I will end up with the BP dac.  

But my question for you guys is,  How do you like that Undertone.  Is it a pain to set up?  How much does it add?  I have been contemplating picking one up.  I've never really wanted to deal with a sub, but you only live once I guess.  

Also,  always wanted to hear the Rachel.  I am in a small room and the low power amps actually suite the Zu's better than the Torii in my room.

Thanks for the conversation guys!..

IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/19/19 at 06:26:31

In my experience, a lot of the time my Omens seem bass-y enough. For casual listening, I don’t usually even turn the Undertone on.  However, when I really want to experience things (take it to “eleven”) or for movies and such, the Undertone really fills out that bottom in a beautiful way - from just adding some depth and detail to shaking my small living room.   And, to be perfectly honest, I didn’t want to be always wondering what I might be missing without the sub. Short answer is you could live without it, but I really enjoy what it does.  I am currently running it with a Peachtree Decco65 and it sounds really good.  Set up is easy, but I haven’t spent a lot of time messing with the dials on the back. The Zu folks recommended that I just hook it up to the speaker outputs from my amp and go into the binding posts in the back of the sub. Should be pretty easy. Really looking forward to hearing what the TORII Jr. does to my system and I think I’m going with the Border Patrol once the TORII gets here (alas, not for a few months)

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 01/20/19 at 00:17:41

Thanks Tim.

TheTakeOut/Chester

In my opinion undertone is absolutely must... I never turn it off. It adds significant improvement at low end.

Use binding speakers to connect from Amp.  All you really need is signal...  use cat5 cable it has 6 small wires... pick 3 for red and 3 for black... just combine 3 each and send signal from amp to the sub. Setup is really easy... ask Gerrit at ZU to send you quick setup instructions for the Sub... I usually keep it at level 3/4.  

Regarding DAC:
Only two in my list are chord Qutest and BP SE...  hopefully I can find one used in good condition.

Happy listening.

RF

IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 01/21/19 at 17:27:50

The Undertone is nearly a must.  As the other have it, too, mine is connected via the speaker outs on my amp into the high-level in on the Undertone.  It is nothing shy of amazing.  I love pipe organ music and it delivers!  Not only can it make you feel like you're in the church with the organ with all the stops out (I used a solid-state amp for that... actually, my new PS Audio M700 monoblocks come this week! Can't wait!), it can also add the most delicate touch a string bass that gives it something you didn't know was missing until you've heard it (This is what I use the Rachel for).

Like right now, I'm listening to the Yo-Yo Ma / Chris Thile / Edgar Meyer Bach Trios LP and it's sublime.

Later this week, I'll shake the pictures off the walls with Jean Guillou and those M700's, but  I won't have even touched any settings on the Undertone.  It just does as the music tells it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print