Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 13:59:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hum from the ZROCK, what to do? (Read 6451 times)
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Hum from the ZROCK, what to do?
12/31/18 at 22:08:21

Hi,
my ZROCK2 25th has a slight hum coming from the device itself. When I press a little on the top of the device it goes back to a very minimal level.
Anyone else experienced that?

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Hum from the ZROCK, what to do?
Reply #1 - 01/01/19 at 18:10:57

Something is probably shook loose in there.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/12/19 at 17:17:00

In case you guys experience the same, here my fix: everything was nice and tight in there, but the transformer seemed to have touched the bottom plate and caused the hum, so I put a bit of heat resistent rubber between the transformer and the bottom plate, now it is whisper quite Smiley

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/13/19 at 13:52:56

Saved yourself from having to ship it back to the factory.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/13/19 at 17:38:37

Indeed!

Steve, if you are reading this thread, maybe something to consider doing as a default in new builds.

- Stefan
---------------------
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/02/19 at 18:12:48

Steven,
I have to modify my original post below, my hum was coming through my speakers, not from the unit itself, although with some pressure on the top it mostly went away, I pulled the bottom and put in 1 thin layer of foam (old Craftsman tool chest liner) and it now has significantly reduced the hum, I'm writing the small remaining noise to the Sony until further notice.  :)

Just got my ZROCK2 25th back and have the same hum, I figured it was because of my running it into my SonyHAP1s while my MKIV is being modded. I'm going to try your fix as we speak. Exactly the same thing, when I press on the top it goes away! Glad you got it sorted, I hate shipping stuff out unless absolutely necessary. I'l follow up.

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
TK78
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/09/19 at 15:18:45

I just sent my unit back because of a hum coming from the speakers.  It was a pretty loud hum.  Got considerably worse after a few days.  It was a new unit.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/09/19 at 15:57:50

That's.a shame. Every time I've had a hum from a Decware unit it's turned out to be a hum from elsewhere, though very difficult at times to locate. More often than not it's the location of the unit in regards to power cables, even though I use shielded cabling. Hope it's a fast turnaround with a cure.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
TK78
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/09/19 at 16:16:51

Yeah, I agree.  I tried it on a buddies system and got same results.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 09/09/19 at 17:43:53

Well, you should get a quick turnaround. Hoping for a quick return.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
cave
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/10/19 at 05:50:45

One thing I will say about the ZROCK2, at least in my system, it is quiet as a mouse and adds 0 noise.

Inside there is considerable grounding, and it's pretty solid ground connections IMO.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print