Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 06:22:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need phono preamp suggestions... (Read 4726 times)
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Need phono preamp suggestions...
11/18/18 at 16:01:20

I am about 20% vinyl and 80% digital for the most part.

I have an older CJ MV60 connected to older Klipsch Forte II.  On the digital side I have a Sony-something with a digital out to a Schiit Bifrost.  I think it sounds really good.  At least for me.

On the vinyl side I have a Pro-ject Carbon with an Ortofon blue MM cartridge.  I have the turntable connected to a Schiit mani.  The sound is good but a bit on the shrill side, ocassionally.  I'd expect the digital side to be shrill but it isn't.  The digital side is rather warm and pleasing to the ears.  it is the vinyl side that is shrill.

Okay, here are my options based on budget.
1, add a ZBOX between the Mani and the CJ.
2. add a ZROCK2 between the Mani and CJ.
3. save up and get a ZP3 and get rid of the Mani or as I do, pass it forward to someone else in the family.

As it is, I'm not sure if options 2 or 3 will work but I think they would.  Option 3 may take a year for me to afford.

So, can anyone offer up any ideas?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Need phono preamp suggestions...
Reply #1 - 11/18/18 at 16:12:36

Get a ZP3 and you’re set for life...
But you will need a better TT and cart to get the best out of it.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/18/18 at 16:15:28

In that the Mani doesn't have any adjustment for capacitive loading,  try switching out your phono cables if you have any other option on hand.   The cable cap. will definitely have an effect on the shrillness in a MM cart. and that capacitance will be a little different between cables.   I would even try using standard line level (not phono specific) cables as their cap. value will be a lot different than a phono cable.   This alone could be a very inexpensive fix to your immediate problem.  Worth a try at the least.

I would also keep my eyes on the Classified section and see if a ZP3 pops up.  They do every now and then and you could possibly get one for a few $$ off.   I'm currently listening to a ZP3 on loan from a friend and it is a VERY smooth, relaxing and just pleasant sounding phono stage.  I also have a PSAudio NPC that I've had for a while and in comparison I can listen to the ZP3 on end and just completely relax.   The NPC is great but the fact that it is SS is def. noticeable in comparison.   Just looses that enveloping, wrap around you sort of vibe you get with the ZP3.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/18/18 at 16:29:57

As others have mentioned, I'd go with the ZP3. It's a life time phono stage and will allow you not wonder about a phono stage as an upgrade. I've found one of the benefits of the waiting list is you can call Decware and put a deposit down which gives time to save up money while you wait.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/18/18 at 17:23:16

Thanks everybody.

I thought the ZP3 would be everybody's answer.
Ok, here is a gotcha; Geno said I'll need a better TT and cart.  Now, I'm going down the rabbit hole.  How much better a TT/ cart?  So, with the idea that I don't want to upgrade the TT/cart, what's the best solution?  Is the ZP3 still it?

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/18/18 at 17:59:47

I have to disagree in that the ZP3 will allow you to hear all that your existing gear is capable of..  Because it is not the weakest link you will not have to worry about upgrading it as you upgrade your other stuff,..   turntable, cart,.. etc....  It will prob over time make you start thinking about it though. Start with the ZP3, let that settle in and go from there.  The cart and table are both solid and I don't think the ZP3 would be wasted on them at all.   just my .02..    Geno is correct in that better equip. won't be lost on the ZP3!  I just don't think you'll have to have better equipment to enjoy it off the bat.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/18/18 at 18:32:54

I started my Decware odyssey by thinking I needed a ZP3 and Steve surprised me by informing me that my amp was my weakest link at the time.  See my list at the bottom of my post and you'll see where I ended (HA!) up!   Cheesy

What I suggest you do first is put really good isolation under your existing TT.  You can DIY very inexpensively.  Until you've done that (maybe you have and didn't mention it) you aren't even close to tapping the potential of your current TT and cart.  Vibration is music and vibration is noise/distortion.  The trick is to keep the first while eliminating the latter.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/18/18 at 21:07:06

My TT sits on a Auralex platform made for TT.  The whole thing is on a solid oak end table that somehow is the perfect fit.  The end table is thick and heavy so I think it is pretty good.  I use blue jean cables for all the connections.  Honestly, the sound isn't bad.  Lots of bass, acoustic guitars sound great, and lots of space.  it is just a bit too sterile for me.  A bit of warmth would really make it come together.  That's why I thought something like a ZBOX or a ZROCK2 would warm it up a bit.  However, the ZP3 has now entered my head.  I'm not a big vinyl head so I don't really want to go all-out on that direction.  Mainly, I listen to acoustic kind of stuff on vinyl because I think it just sounds better.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 11/19/18 at 03:23:02

Welcome to the forum. Save up for a year, get a ZP3 on order and be done with it. Happy listening and keep us posted on your system. Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print