Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:34:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to set phono pre loading when using a ZMC (Read 3699 times)
strhd07
Verified Member

How to set phono pre loading when using a ZMC
10/26/18 at 14:28:26

Please excuse if this has been covered before and point me to where it's been discussed.

I have a Decware ZMC1 step-up transformer, which is passive but is adjustable by a knob on the front. If I'm going to use it with my Pro-ject phono pre (which also has continuously adjustable loading on it), what should I set the loading on the Project pre at if I'm going to hook it up to the Decware and fiddle with the Decware loading? Decware says to turn the knob up until you reach maximum volume and refine up or down from there to taste, but what setting should I have on the phono pre before I start adjusting the Decware SU?

Should I just flip the phono pre switch to "fixed" instead of "variable," which Pro-ject recommends for MM carts, but what setting should I use as the fixed setting if I'm going to hook the Decware up to it? Decware says the ZMC is meant for preamps with only an MM stage, but is there any advantage to using the ZMC with the MC stage on my phono pre and using the variable settings function on that?

Thanks for any help with this.

Mark

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: How to set phono pre loading when using a ZMC
Reply #1 - 10/26/18 at 21:18:30

Not familiar with the Pro-Ject phono stage, but I do have a ZMC1 into our ZP3. If you can set the phono preamp to a fixed input setting and use the ZMC1 as you mentioned in your post, I think it will work perfectly. I use the ZMC1 that way with my cartridges and am VERY please with the sound of our vinyl rig. Use your ears, you'll be fine. Let us know how it works out. What cartridge are you using? Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
strhd07
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/18 at 22:32:44

Thanks, Chris. I'll use the fixed input. I have a Zu Denon DL103. The Pro-Ject RS pre manual offers two examples of settings using fixed input at 47k ohms, one with a MM cart (40 dB gain and 200 pF capacitance--dunno what that is) and one with a high-output MC (50 dB gain and 420 pF). It offers switches to adjust capacitance at 10R,100pF,100pf, and 220pF. Don't really follow that (why two settings at 100pF depending on whether it's MM or HO MC), but I'll start with the setting for the MM.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 10/27/18 at 15:48:31

Good! Just read the Zu page on your cartridge and setting up the phono stage as a MM at 47K and use the ZMC1 will work out fine. I love the last line in that paragraph'' When running a step-up some find running the outputs into the MM with minimum capacitive loading to be the best way to realize the potential of a step-up transformer. But again, you really should experiment and trust your ears and the gray matter they’re interconnected with''. As I have learned with my years of Decware, trust your ear/brain combo. Your body will tell you when it's all working right. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print