05/17/24 at 09:45:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Ultra (Read 6788 times)
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Zen Ultra
10/21/18 at 14:13:53

Posting for sale my Zen Ultra Preamplifier. Less than 1 year old and functioning perfectly. Asking 2600.00.  Thanks All, Mike

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Zen Ultra
Reply #1 - 10/21/18 at 15:57:59

Hi Mike....Could you offer up more details on the Ultra?  Did you configure any options within the shopping car like the exotic wood base,  does it have the step attenuators , which types of knobs did you choose ?  Is the  price firm, negotiable, or OBO?  

Also...was it housed in a smoke free and pet free environment, do you accept PayPal, will you cover the shipping, did it come with a Pelican hard case, are the stock tubes included?  

These are definitely some questions that those who are serious would like to know more about.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/21/18 at 16:51:36

Hi Dominick,
 Thanks so much for the interest. My Zen is perfect in every way, that said, it is pretty much baseline with no upgrades. Walnut case and knobs. Pet and smoke free home with original tubes. Price is pretty firm and I think very fair. I love this preamp but as a staunch two channel guy I feel it is not being used to full potential. I once flirted with subwoofers but realized that they are not really for me. As a two channel pre it is magnificent and I can only guess at how amazing it would be with full capabilities in bloom. I will cover shipping to CONUS.  Best Regards, Mike

IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/21/18 at 16:53:03

I prefer payment by certified check but will entertain other options. Cheers!

IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/21/18 at 20:39:26

No stepped attenuators, no Pel. Case. Will be shipped in box as packed by Steve. Includes tube straightener. Please contact with any questions. All the Best, Mike

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/21/18 at 22:47:46

The Ultra is an amazing component.  There simply is nothing like it anywhere.  I know I have stated it before, but I'll say it again...  it is my favorite piece of gear and the last piece of gear I would part with.  Yes, I do own a ZMA and many other fine pieces but the uniqueness of the Ultra and all if it flexibilities and capabilities make it unparalleled in concept/design.

Jadis JA-30 MKII//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205//EMM Labs DS-EQ1//DS Audio DS-003//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Pipedreams Reference 21 Speakers
  IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/21/18 at 23:41:44

I completely agree Jeff and have total respect for those few Zen owners among us. It will not break my heart to keep this incredibly musical component. Just think that it would get a better chance to stretch if in the hands of another who could fully exploit the possibilities of this primo component. Who knows, I may change my mind and just keep it! Smiley

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 10/22/18 at 05:49:14

Mike,

I was on the Ultra forum and saw that you were experiencing a hum/noise issue.   You indicated that you were sending it back to Steve to have it sorted out....what was the outcome?  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/22/18 at 06:42:20

Hi Dominick,
Yes, the Zen was returned to Steve and the problem was an issue with tube pin contact. Several tube sockets were repaired and all tubes/ functions brought back to spec. He suggested the tube pin straightener as a ward against similar problems in the future. Happy ending!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #9 - 10/22/18 at 08:21:03

Definitely good news....thanks!!  I’d like to give Steve a call with a few questions, and to find out what it would cost to do the warranty transfer on the unit.  I’ll get back to you. Thanks!!

IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/22/18 at 08:49:26

No problem. Keep me posted. Again, Best Regards!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 10/24/18 at 19:32:11

Hey Mike… Unfortunately I have decided to go a slightly different path for the time being.   Good luck with the sale and maybe if things don’t work out, you can keep the Ultra and just enjoy it.

DOM

IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 10/24/18 at 19:36:01

No worries Dom. Best of luck with your quest!

IP Logged
Fstnblbs
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/29/18 at 13:56:13

No longer for sale. thanx all!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print