04/19/24 at 14:46:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Microphone Amp? (Read 2025 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Microphone Amp?
09/22/18 at 21:26:24

With the glowing reports posted here in the Decware forum regarding the UltraAnalogue company and their recording methods and equipment, I have got to wondering if a Decware brand microphone amp for the recording industry, or for those who do independent recording at home, might be a worthwhile project for the Decware company.

Brian

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Microphone Amp?
Reply #1 - 09/28/18 at 01:39:42

A tube-based stereo microphone preamp might be a good idea...  

There's a lot of entries, though... And from people who've been doing this a long time... Nowadays, mic pre's are used mostly for color and tonality rather that just gain stages... Especially the tube models, which boast various type of transformers that add some kind of wanted effect to an individual singer or instrumentalist...

Also, I think the stated need for them is somewhat hyped... Especially in computer-based recording, where so many plug-in effects can be utilized very cheaply instead of buying relatively expensive hardware...

Some mics, like ribbons need a microphone preamplifier to bring the gain up to useable level... Although there are now active ribbons that don't need a preamp...

Anyway, good idea...   (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Microphone Amp?
Reply #2 - 09/28/18 at 03:10:46

Yes, when I was reading about them I found that many Mic Amps are used for artificial color. That is why I thought a Decware amp might be a good item. An amp from Steve would presumably be free of transistorized effects, and would give only a pleasant natural tone.  I thought it might be a nice alternative.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print