Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 14:49:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy classical recommendation (Read 4021 times)
classical
Verified Member

New guy classical recommendation
09/09/18 at 23:55:25

Hello everyone! I'm shamelessly looking for advice. I'm not completely new; I bought a basic zen about 20 years ago, and some efficient speakers that someone (I forget) had designed for it. And I still love this basic system, so I know how good Decware is. BUT I have a new house with an awesome room--32 feet long, by 14 wide, 8 foot ceilings, 3 huge picture windows along the long side where I can watch the hummingbirds and butterflies and deer, and some "open plan" spaces opposite the windows. I'm retired, so hearing's not perfect--too old to be an audiophile--but I'd love to be able to immerse in music while enjoying my view, and my room is challenging for my setup (too long and narrow, many hard surfaces--and I'd like to be able to see the view without peering around speakers). So I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a new system for my "golden years."

I listen only to classical music, and not particularly loud. Bass doesn't matter to me, but accuracy does. I want to hear the detail. My favorite things are probably piano, medieval choral, and orchestral. And I guess I value the "immersive" experience of music. Looking at all the new stuff on Decware's site, I was thinking that maybe the ERRx speakers might be what I am looking for to make the most of my room, and  I was attracted to the Zen integrated to go with them (maybe because it still looks like my old zen). I currently use a Rega Planet (did I say I was old?) with a bifrost dac. If there are any classical buffs out there who have discovered a good combo for classical music, I'd be deeply grateful for any advice.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Re: New guy classical recommendation
Reply #1 - 09/10/18 at 00:22:03

Hello, Classical

I am also an owner of an older Zen triode (though maybe 15 years old rather than 20 years), and reading and researching to possibly update my system.  I know that many others on this site can give much better advice than I can.  But I just wanted to share with you that I am also thinking the Zen Integrated with the ERRx speakers might be a good combo, particularly where the room setup may present challenges.  

Enjoy your new house - it sounds like your room is a great space to spend time in!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 09/14/18 at 05:54:01

I have the ERR speakers and currently have them paired with a SS amp, so I am  not the best judge.  [Eventually I want to pair them with the Torii MKIV.

Anyway....I can tell you that the ERRx will fill a nicely sized room beautifully, and the speakers do “disappear”.  I am trying to get to Decfest this year so I can hear the ERRx with the tube amp.    

Pairing the speakers with the proper amp will depend not only on your room size but a lot of other factors. I’ll let others chime in who have more experience with the Decware tube amps.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
classical
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/14/18 at 13:28:00

Many thanks for your encouragement! Reading various posts, I find there are MANY variables to consider: not only the room, but also the kind of music, intimate or "big stage," loud or low, bass or not, and so forth. Mind you, I don't see a lot of reference to classical as a music preference on the Decware forum, so maybe classicists are just not as attracted to tubes as, for instance, jazz listeners are.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/14/18 at 13:49:27

I listen to a fair share of classical.

I'd say in the Decware line if you want to run the whole gamut from orchestra climaxes to trios and duos and solo numbers I'd recommend the 25th Anniversary amps (Monoblock SE84UFO3 versions if you can swing them) and the upcoming DNA2 speakers. I have the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks paired with a pair of Decware HR-1 speakers and really love the sound. But there is a limit to their loudness which falls within my listening parameters but may not be someone else's cup of tea. Reading the reports from Steve and Joe and Randy et al about the upcoming DNA2 I think they will eliminate that hurdle and really give the detail and ambiance that I love when listening to classical. Throw in a ZROCK2 and you can really tailor the sound to your room and give real body and heft to the sound when needed.

Alternately you could go the Torii Mk IV route with the HR-1 speakers. These speakers won my heart seven years ago or so and haven't given it back. They are both omni-directional and directional, they envelope the listener in a sound field that has detail and dynamics. The Torii Mk IV will have plenty of clean power to bring them into all they can be. They don't have the delicate magic I find in my 25th Anniversary amps but do have a muscle and fluid grace of their own that is beguiling.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
classical
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 09/15/18 at 04:40:26

Many thanks! Loudness is not an issue for me; accuracy and detail are what I'm more looking for. I had been wondering about the HR1 vs the ERRx, but now I'd better read up on the DNA2 as well. So many decisions!

IP Logged
pineman
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/19/18 at 05:28:23

Nice to see another classical music listener here.  I have had ERRx with ZMA for a few years now and the combination is outstanding for chamber music, solo piano, orchestral, and acoustic jazz.  The ERRx are like a magic trick the way they throw reflections to create a sense of spatial realism.  My room is 26 x 12 x 9 with a 12 x 12 adjoining room, and the system sounds great from almost any location. I have a WO32 with an overpowered SS amp, which comes in handy for the occasional classic rock material, but for 95% of what I listen to, the sub is unnecessary.  I have not heard the HR-1 or the DNA, but I can tell you that the ERRx adapts well to less-than-perfect rooms and requires nothing in the way of room treatments.  I believe there are other speakers which produce a better soundstage in ideal environments, but for the imperfect world where I live the ERRx provide impressive imaging and amazing detail.  As others have noted, they also excel in near field applications. If I had a dedicated room with a fixed listening position, I would look hard at other speakers. But for my situation the ERRx are a great solution.  Good luck and enjoy the journey.

VPI Classic w/ Ortofon 2M Black, ZP3; PS Audio DSD & PST; ZMA, Zenstyx; Bösendorfer VC-7
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print