Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 06:19:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recording DSD vs Original CD (Read 2653 times)
chumily
Verified Member

Recording DSD vs Original CD
08/28/18 at 00:01:27

This weekend I had my first attempt at recording using the ZDSD.  I am using a Sony blu-ray player as a transport and it only has digital outs.  I learned through experimentation and later confirmed from TEAC that ZDSD only records DSD through analogue inputs.  Given my player doesn't have this functionality, I am thinking through the following options:

1) Buy a CD transport with analogue outs to enable recording CD's to DSD
2) Purchase a ripping software and CD drive for my laptop and use the ZDSD's SD card slot for playback
3) Some other option I should explore

Does anyone have experience with the sound quality of CD's recorded to DSD via the ZDSD compared to ripping and SD card playback?

I'd like to try both, but time and budget require me to pick one to get started.

IP Logged
StanleyG
Verified Member

Re: Recording DSD vs Original CD
Reply #1 - 08/28/18 at 05:59:20

Glad to read this as I had been planning to attempt exactly that process of taking digital out from a cd transport and recording to DSD on a Tascam DA-3000 (sadly mine is not Decware modded).  I could not tell from the manual so an experiment was on the long list of things I haven't had time for.  One less thing to try.

My main interest lately has been to record vinyl to DSD and that process is successful (though time consuming).  It is by definition analog to digital and the resulting DSD sounds exactly like the analog source...  A further experiment is going to compare using different cartridges and turntables.  My guess is that DSD from the analog outs from whatever cd player you use as a source will sound exactly as good (or bad) as that player on its own.

I think some people use the ZDSD as their main DAC so PCM (ripped from cd) from SD cards should sound as good as that.  Maybe better given fast cards and fewer wires.  I am curious to read other's thoughts and experiences.

Klipsch Heresy III's
Decware SE84UFO25
Decware ZBIT
Esoteric K-05X
Sonore utraRendu
(soon-to-be optical ethernet)
Roon Nucleus Server
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/28/18 at 16:10:34

Hello: I, too have a Tascam DA 3000, and I'm still trying to figure out how it would serve me as a component of my HI FI system...

I use it now to make high quality live recordings of acoustic music...

The problem with that, is if you want to operate in DSD modes, there are no current DAWs [digital audio workstations] that will handle that type of file...

Somewhere I read that Sony may have one, but I have not seen it to date...

There is a Tascam Hi Res editor, which I have downloaded, but I think it only manipulates data in the DSD realm...

Anyway, I get Hi Res song files now from my computer with a Seagate 1TB storage cap.   That is, if I want to store a song... The rest I stream off of Pandora, which I pay for to get 24/ 192 music streamed through a Schiit DAC, then on to my Zen amp...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
StanleyG
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/29/18 at 07:21:23

To the OP's third undefined option about other methods:  I have many downloads from discs ripped by a service which depending on the size of the collection might be cheaper (and certainly take up less space) than investing in a high-end cd player though not cheaper than a basic cd drive and ripping your own.

Some of those rips I converted to DSD via inexpensive software (EasyDSD for Mac).   I think the converted DSD files sound a bit better than the original PCM versions played either locally or streamed.  Might be my imagination and I stopped doing it as my current DAC does DSD conversion (if not already) on the fly.  If you just want to play them on the ZDSD from SD cards without conversion, WAV format should work fine.

Looks like the free Tascam Hi Rez software will convert both ways but also looks like a chore (or a fun adventure).

I don't actually use the DA-3000 for listening lately, but as a hifi component, my vision was to have on a nearby shelf a bowl or small tray of CompactFlash (or SD) cards holding individual albums or small groups of or what the kids call 'playlists'.  Pop one in, press 'play', bliss out.

I prefer to listen to DSD exclusively and I really like the idea of handy external memory cards as a medium but the commercial files are spendy and slim pickings to download and making my own has proved daunting.  I have more time now so will see what the future holds.

Klipsch Heresy III's
Decware SE84UFO25
Decware ZBIT
Esoteric K-05X
Sonore utraRendu
(soon-to-be optical ethernet)
Roon Nucleus Server
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print