Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Guy! (Read 8006 times)
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

New Guy!
08/08/18 at 18:49:27

Yep, that's me, new guy here.

I just purchased the Torii Mark II that was for sale. I am coming from a Line Magnetic 518ia integrated. This should be a good shootout since the LM is an excellent amp. I have no idea what to expect having never heard a decware product, but I have followed Steve's work for years now. I've just never had speakers sensitive enough to give a decaware amp a spin.

I tried to contact Steve through the website on Monday with a few questions about my new purchase. No reply thus far. I know he's a busy guy. But even though I am buying a used amp, I'm certainly a potential customer for new products in the future

Anyway, just wanted to join the forum and say hello!

Shakey

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: FNG
Reply #1 - 08/08/18 at 18:52:05

Welcome Shakey! I am sure you'll have a great time when the Mk II arrives. I have a Mk II and it's a really nice amp. Pretty sure many of us will be interested in your comparison to the Line Magnetic amp so please share them.

If you want to share your questions to Steve here perhaps some of us can help and maybe you'll have answers before he gets to your message. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Re: FNG
Reply #2 - 08/08/18 at 19:01:52

Thanks Lon.

I was wondering if my amp had the Hazen mod. I didn't know if it was all Mark IIs, or just some of them. (SN 040)

I was also curious about the inputs. Mine has two inputs and since the amp is dual mono, I assume both left are on the left and vice versa?

There is a switch up front behind the attenuator that I think switches between inputs. I was wondering if both inputs are attenuated by the pot, or if one of them is fixed? I have two sources and would like to have them plugged in simultaneously, switching as a preamp would.

Lastly, how good is this thing w/o a preamp? I know it depends on the source output and capability, but what are most people doing? Preamp or no?

Thanks,

Shakey

IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Re: New Guy!
Reply #3 - 08/09/18 at 17:27:47

105 views and ONE reply.

The Welcoming Committee must be on vacation this week?....... Undecided

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 08/09/18 at 17:58:26

Hi Shakey,

I think that by the time #40 came along the Hazen Grid Mod was standard. . . but I'm not sure. That's maybe a question for Steve himself.

Yes, both the inputs on the left are for the left channel of the source, and both the inputs on the right are for the right channel of the source. The switch is the input selector switch and both of the positions are attenuated by the volume knob. (My Mk II is one of the very first sold, to Bob Zeigler who builds the speakers, and it has a middle position on the switch which is NO source, freaks me out sometimes when I don't remember to flick it twice and no sound comes out! Mine also did not have the Hazen Grid Mod originally but it was added by Steve when I bought it from Bob.)

I'm not sure how many here on the board are using the Mk II so I'm not sure how many are using with a preamp or not. It works quite well without one, still a great preamp adds some nice qualities. I used mine most of the time with a CSP2+ pre am which added a bit of heft and allowed me to play with the gain and alter the sound somewhat.

I haven't used mine for some time. The last time I used it a lot was when I was being a caregiver for my parents and had it in a system at my parents' house, which ended three years ago. It really sounded great with a California Audio cd changer I gave him, a CSP2+ and ERR speakers. We had some really good listening sessions!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/09/18 at 18:05:39

Lon,

Thanks for all the info. It seems to me that there aren't that many Mark II amps floating around. That or not many people mention them any more. Did the III and IV really just obsolete this amp to the point of not being relevant today?

I would really like to know if this one has the hazen grid mod. Alas, I can't get Steve or Sarah to answer my emails.

Shakey

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/09/18 at 18:15:27

Steve is open to phone calls, in fact sometimes I think it's easier to reach him by phone.

My guess is that it does have the Hazen Grid Mod. What date does the amp have on the sticker? I looked on the forum and Steve introduced the Mod at the end of May or beginning of June in '09, and I'm pretty sure any Torii built after that would have the Mod.

Likely your guess is good that there are few here posting on the forum using the Mk II. The Mk III and Mk IV ARE different. I have had two Mk III and have not heard the Mk IV. The differences between the Mk II and Mk III are not huge. The Mk III has treble and "bass" controls and the Mk II did not have either at first, and never had the "bass" controls. To my ears the Mk II has a bit more "romance" than the Mk III, has a bit more of a classic tube sound, a bit less of the modern clarity and openness of the Mk III. But just a bit.

I tried selling my Mk II this year and only got a few nibbles, no bites. I may try selling it again as someone should use it, it has spent way too much time in a closet this decade. These are very enjoyable amps, and though the Decware sound has evolved since these are musical, revealing and dependable amps!

IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/09/18 at 18:42:02

Turns out this one was manufactured in 08/09, so I am good there.

I'm not opposed to a more tubey sound when driving klipschorns. They have enough resolution w/o needing any extra help there.  ;D

I just hope this turns out to be a keeper. I don't want to turn around and lose my shirt..... Sad

Shakey

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/09/18 at 19:45:04

Welcome Shakey,

I haven't been out here much.  I cruise the forums much more after the kids go back to school.

I don't know much about the MkII, but I have an MKIII and really enjoy it.  I will be interested in your shootout.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/09/18 at 20:15:11

Thanks for the reply palomino. It will be here Saturday and I'm looking forward to it.

Shakey

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/10/18 at 01:17:44

Hi Shakey,

Welcome to the forum, I think you’ll find a tremendous amount of info and knowledge here you will truly 😊

best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/10/18 at 12:47:29

Thanks Scott.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #12 - 08/11/18 at 00:45:07

Welcome Shakey! Enjoy that MkII....I have no doubts that you will.
What speakers will you be driving with the MK?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 08/11/18 at 04:28:57

Hi Shakey,

I think I may have answered your email today, but if not it's still in this weeks pile of over 150 so it may be Sunday before I get to it.

Nevertheless, the MKII was and is a fabulous amplifier.  It should be fitted with either EL34B Russian or NOS output tubes and NOS 6922 input tubes.  If it has 6N1P in it, they will sound warm and sweet but can in some cases limit the amplifiers power output to between 5 and 10 watts.  Alternately it can be fitted with KT66, KT77, 6L6, and 7027 output tubes.

The original TORII MK II predated the Hazen Grid Mod, but could have been update with it along the way.  If not, it is certainly easy enough to do if you plan to run primarily EL34's.

The amp is built with WIMA FKP1 coupling caps which are real Decware sleepers... but can be upgraded to Cryo-treated beeswax caps by Jupiter or even VCAPS if you so choose.

It is important that both treble controls on the rear of the amplifier be adjusted the same amount.  The amps were fitted with two pair of inputs so you could switch between two sources.

The owner's manual can be found here: https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK2%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 08/11/18 at 11:24:27

Thanks Steve. The amp was built in 08/09, so from what Lon said it should already have the hazen grid mod, correct?

Shakey

IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 08/11/18 at 11:31:59

Acetone,

I have klipschorns with volti Audio crossovers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print