Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:33:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello. Glad I landed here. (Read 3471 times)
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Hello. Glad I landed here.
07/27/18 at 19:49:23

Hello everyone. Eric from Huntington, NY here. I'm a lifelong music lover who's spent 30 plus years chasing guitar tone. Every path on that insane journey would end with just a telecaster, a few hand wired effects and a good tube amp so when I decided to take the plunge into hifi, after using home theater receivers for 2-channel as well as HT, I was already "biased." Wink The language lots of you use to describe the Decware "house sound" convinced me that one of Steve's amps would be a good match for me so when a Zen Torii MklV appeared on the classifieds in June, I bit. Many thanks to forum member, Rivieraranch, for facilitating a pleasant and efficient transaction despite some fedex hiccups.

So the Tori... After speaking with Steve and dropping in a matched quad of Tung Sol KT66's and NOS amperex 7308's I'm pretty sure I've found the amp for me. The KT 66's tighten up the bass and in my very live listening space, yes I've got considerable absorbtion in place and am planning on adding diffusion as well, the 7308's tame the high end making it very sweet and airy, hearing the decay on a cymbal hit is magic. Now I'm ready to purchase a preamp that would mate well with the tori.

Here's a list of my equipment so far.
Marantz sr7011 HT receiver
Music Hall mmf 7.3 turntable with a Sumiko evo lll cartridge
Macbook as a Roon core into a JDS labs ODAC streaming Tidal
Monitor audio silver 8's and  matching center speaker
SVS ultra surrounds
Zu audio Omen Def Mkll's for two channel
A pair of SVS SB-2000 subs
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp/preamp
Schiit mani phonostage
Hifiman HE4xx
Grado sr225i
HT speakers are wired with monoprice ofc 12awg
The Zu and MA towers are connected to the Tori and receiver with audioquest type 4

Currently I'm using the Vali two as a preamp into the Tori to add a bit of weight to the sound. it's been fun to experience with different gain levels, something I'm very familiar with as a guitar player, but I'm sure a better, dedicated higher end preamp would be a significant step up. All interconnects are Decware Zen silvers and I think it is reasonable to assume that my order for upgrades should be preamp, phonostage, DAC, then cables. I'm hoping to benefit from your collective experience and knowledge. My listening tastes are diverse. I'd call it an even distribution of acoustic singer songwriter and bluegrass, classic and progressive rock, classical, mostly piano and string quartets and jazz/world music. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Happy and grateful to have found Decware and this excellent forum.
Cheers

Torii mk lV, CSP3, Z Rock 2, Z Box, Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, RME ADI 2, Denafrips Venus II, Music Hall mmf 7.3, AVA Vision Q phonostage, Sumiko Bluepoint Evo, Panasonic DP-UP 9000, 947 Monoliths, Zu Omen DW mk2, Omega Super 3 HO monitors, Zen silver RCA
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Hello. Glad I landed here.
Reply #1 - 07/27/18 at 20:27:52

I have two systems, one with a Torii MK IV...I have CSP3s in both.  You could go for the 25th upgrade if you have the money.  Some have gone to the new pre, I have no experience with it but others will tell you how good it is.  I'm satisfied with the CSP3s with Jupiter bees wax caps.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/28/18 at 01:40:47

Hi MyBlueSky,

Welcome. I'm new here as well, liking my new MKIV and working on my system also. As I'm sure you'll find if you haven't already, is an unlimited wealth of knowledge and experience along with quite an amazing community of people.
Enjoy!

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Reply #3 - 07/28/18 at 02:07:27

Scott,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I agree with you on the forum membership.  I’ve learned a lot lurking here for a few months.

Mark,
Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards the CSP3 but am unsure about the anniversary mod. I don’t know if my Zu’s would warrant the upgrade. How would you say the Jupiter beeswax caps contribute to the sound in your system? Is it solely a tonal improvement or did it influence soundstage or image?

Best to all,
Eric

Torii mk lV, CSP3, Z Rock 2, Z Box, Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, RME ADI 2, Denafrips Venus II, Music Hall mmf 7.3, AVA Vision Q phonostage, Sumiko Bluepoint Evo, Panasonic DP-UP 9000, 947 Monoliths, Zu Omen DW mk2, Omega Super 3 HO monitors, Zen silver RCA
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/28/18 at 11:02:56

On the Bees Wax Caps...I haven't heard a Decware Amp or Pre Amp without them so I'm not much help but it was on the recommendation of a fellow member that I asked for them on my ZP3 before they were a listed option as well as in my first CSP3.  Both ZROCK IIs were bought with the type II jupiter caps. The rest of my gear has the regular Jupiters. Mark

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Reply #5 - 07/30/18 at 02:31:35

I’ve decided to order the csp3 with the anniversary mod and the beeswax caps. Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print