Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

HR-1 Placement
07/11/18 at 14:32:45

I just this month did some experimenting with placement of the HR-1s in my listening room that have borne fruit, sweet and tasty fruit at that.

I have a very odd room . . . and I have the system set up on one side of it only. The omni-directional/directional build of the HR-1s have made this possible, and the various ways I can adjust the balance in my system makes these speakers work in ways others haven't or probably can't. For aesthetic reasons (translation: spousal tolerance) I have them nearer the front wall than I would like and I traded off a certain amount of depth to the soundstage and built the tonal balance around that. Still when I added a ZROCK2 I was able to dial in the tonal balance even better and was very happy.

Then I realized that the only aspect I hadn't really addressed in past experimentation was "tilt back" and I remember that in a previous listening room that really aided the bass response. So I played around with this.

I ended up with a setup where the speakers are tilted back about 3/4" and are raised about one inch higher overall than they had been. And I was very pleased that the sound overall was more cohesive top to bottom and there was more depth to the soundstage between the speakers. And I was able to use less of the ZROCK2's gain/EQ range than before, as much as 30 percent less. All this took my digital listening another little nudge closer to "analog" sound. Dynamics are not changed and the wonderful open character of the 25th anniversary preamp and mono blocks is retained if not a bit enhanced.

Why didn't I do this a few years ago? I don't know. I'm glad I did it now.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: HR-1 Placement
Reply #1 - 07/11/18 at 15:37:53

I'm going to have to try this -- if I ever get some free time this summer.  I can see where the tilt would change how the omni waves react with the environment and how it might also help "lift the bass.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/11/18 at 16:28:29

Worth a try!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/06/19 at 03:18:38

How did you tilt them back? More isolation risers on the front?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/06/19 at 10:50:49

Yes. Currently I have the speaker sitting on four earlier version Iso-Pods from VooDoo Cable. I use an additional "Fat Dot" from Herbie's Audio Lab on each of the two front Iso-Pod. That is all the tilt I find I need after a bit of experimentation. A subtle but worthwhile improvement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print