Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 21:57:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Suggestion to pair with Rachel (Read 5057 times)
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Speaker Suggestion to pair with Rachel
06/12/18 at 18:39:30

Hello All.  I am in the market for a Rachel.  I am looking for speaker suggestions. I have a medium size room, 12x20 with 8ft ceilings.  Mostly listen to guitar,drum & bass music.  I.E. Hendrix, Black Crowes, Otis Redding, Aretha, Willie Nelson etc.  Nothing too crazy.  No rap or super crazy black metal.  

Budget would be 500-1500.  Considered the DM945.  Preference is a full size speaker.  I.E. Klipsch Cornwall.  Having said that, I have never listened to Klipsch speakers.  I am definitely going to consider used Cornwalls, but my gut says I want something modern and a bit more resolving.  But for all I know maybe the Cornwalls with upgraded crossovers are extremely resolving???

I would love to know what you are pairing with your Rachel.  Preference is full range.  Preference for no sub.  

It looks like the Omega HE from this site would be a fit, but right now they seem out of my budget.

Please share any thoughts!!

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker Suggestion to pair with Rachel
Reply #1 - 06/19/18 at 17:09:00

Zu Omen,  Dirty Weekend,...   Zu is running that special right now actually.  Only happens about 2-3 times a year I believe,..   Would be right in your price range.   Efficient speakers that work very well w/Decware amps,..   Actually had a Rachel .3  pushing my Zu's for a while..   excellent sound!!

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/19/18 at 17:44:57

I second the Zu Omen Dirty Weekends. I'm driving a pair of Zu Druid MkIV/08s with my SE34i.2+ and the Omens are the closest to the original Druids. The sonics are consistently outstanding.

David

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/18 at 17:39:21

If you can somehow come up w/ an additional $500 for your budget, the DNA horns are relatively small but go very low - all the way down to 20Hz - no sub needed whatsoever.

Also, on this forum Swordman was offering some lightly used ones for about $1700 just recently.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/22/18 at 17:20:13

I agree ZU DWs are fantastic. Give the it a try.

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/20/18 at 21:15:41

Another vote for the DWs. They occasionally have used pairs on their site, and if you decide to go new you can also choose what finishes you want. They sound great, are for sure efficient enough to handle small-watt amps with aplomb.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/20/18 at 21:54:10

I have owned a Rachael for only a short while.  I have it where my Monoblocks were...with a CSP3 and a ZROCK II and haven't tried it without them.  I am using Zu Audio "Souls" which retail for about $2600 now but I've seen them preowned on the Zu Audio site for $1600 in the past and they are probably very close to what the Dirty Weekends sound like...maybe a little more refined since the wiring Harness is upgraded to Zu Event.  In this setup the Bass needs no Subwoofer IMO.  I have raved about the Zu Audio "Souls" in the past here.  They pair very well with Decware Amps all the way down to the 2 WPC. I highly recommend giving them a try.  I love mine.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/21/18 at 17:01:21

If you're close to Mabelvale, AR, these would be great at $900 asked.  Pick up only.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis916e3-zu-audio-omen-def-full-range

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print