Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:36:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on CD Playback Units (Read 7665 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Question on CD Playback Units
06/09/18 at 14:36:25

After a bunch more reading, research and some additional input and planning with Steve, I'm going to change my direction a bit and eliminate my Sony HAP-1, which has been a great unit so far and go the Tascam DA3000 route with a ZBIT input directly to the TORII MKIV. My question (of the uncountable thousands of them!) would be, is the cd player in my 2008 MACBOOK Unibody as good as a newer outboard playback unit and if not what is the best to look at. I have access locally to a DJ's (friend) CD collection which is extensive, in the thousands of albums. Any advice greatly appreciated to help the under informed, many thanks in advance. The knowledge base here continues to absolutely amaze me, Decades and Decades and hundreds of thousands of dollars of current and past equipment right here for asking...mind boggling to me.

Best,
Scott

My GIF panels are on a FedX truck bound for NC this Tuesday, soon to follow my ZU Dirty Weekends and Torii MKIV, wow gonna be a pretty exciting upcoming few weeks!

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Question on CD Playback Units
Reply #1 - 06/10/18 at 16:43:44

Tascam DA3000 route with a ZBIT input directly to the TORII MKIV.
Best way to go. Adjusting the gain of the ZBIT with the input gain of your Torii.....very nice.

I've been tempted to get a ZBIT and I would need a KS1130 or 1136...but I don't want to spring for it. I will live with my output tranny's Steve put in....they are pretty damn good.

I use a well searched out cheap Transport that competes with the $$.
(I have two others on the shelf/new/boxed).

Lately, I am enjoying the adjustment of my ZDSD's input volume and output level.....manipulating Redbook CD's for the way better!

Truly, the magic happens with tube rolling and the best cabling...proofs in the pudding... . Of course you need the DA3000 Steve chose & modified to ZDSD or add the ZBIT for the best + ZMA or a Torii MKIV = that's a given/we know.   Cool
.....waiting for Kimber Carbon/release.

~ All NOS Platinum graded Tubes from Upscale Audio (except 6N23P's):

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it) ~ as INVERTER TUBES
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.

Output Power/New Production:

Matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's, Reflector Cryogenic 6P3S-E's or Gold Lion Cryogenic KT88's.

Pending purchase:  Tung-Sol 5881 (for this stone of tone freak that I am), T-Sol 7581A (more headroom I love) & Tung-Sol 7027A's (for even more slam). I will spend the summer with these tubes and hear how it goes!

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & my Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)
~Adjustments made to Input volume: -.5, -1.0 or -1.5 max
~Adjustments made to Ref Level: -20, -18 or -16 max

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's, Reflector Cryogenic 6P3S-E's or Gold Lion Cryogenic KT88's

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber (new jacket) 8TC ~ to remind me~how good the KS6063 are

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 43Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3
Auralex Subdude (a must)
(NOTE ~ Only needed when the recording calls for...Open Baffle Bass has been the best integration I have witnessed when needed and called on)

Audio Research LS-2B MkII Line Stage, in use on occasion with additional Kimber KS1030 IC ~ ZMA at all of 25~30% turn up on input gain ~ Very nice voltage output/from RCA LS-2 to ZMA

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

ZMA, updated with robust Western Electric Bias/Balance Meter's and new Resistor's ~ Feb/17

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD & ARC/when in use ~ Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)
System configured on Floor ~ Townshend Audio CD Seismic Sink deployed & other Isolation devices.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/10/18 at 16:48:42

If you are excited, Scott, imagine how we all feel!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/10/18 at 20:35:15

Stone,
  Thanks for the reply & update, read it twice, knowing I am sure I'm not getting something here, what are you using to record your CD's from or am I not totally crazy & you didn't tell me? I do have an older Sharp BD-HP20U, would that be a better option than the player but in my MacBook? Your thoughts...
  Got an early surprise the GIF Base Traps were on my porch last night from FedX when I got home, this is gonna be fun.

Best,
Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/10/18 at 20:40:52

RiverRanch,
 Good hearing from you, been catching up on many of your earlier posts, wow, lots to absorb, lots to learn, lots of fun.
  I know for certain this promises to be a very good ride, I can feel it now that somehow the room will shape up and be something good, it's as Steve pointed out...Challenging.
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 06/10/18 at 22:42:06

Quote:
Stone,
 Thanks for the reply & update, read it twice, knowing I am sure I'm not getting something here, what are you using to record your CD's from or am I not totally crazy & you didn't tell me?

Scott, now I am a little confused.  I thought you were asking about a CD transport, but in the post above, you mentioned “record.” Was that a typo?  I may be missing something here so wanted to clarify for my own understanding.  

If you are in fact interested in advice on a CD transport and on a budget, and you want bang for your buck, it is really hard to beat new model Oppo.  I know they are no longer producing units, but will continue to service them.  They are huge in the cell phone manufacturing industry outside the U.S., so not likely we will see Oppe go away, despite their decision to no longer manufacture DVD players.  I have the new UDP-205 and it does an incredible job with optical disk playback, 2-channel and muliti-channel.  You may be able to pick one up on the used market for a discount.  

Running a ZBIT out of the balanced outputs sends the Oppo into the stratosphere sound quality-wise relative to its price point.  Is it the best out there.  No, but you are also not dumping $6000 to $20,000 on the purchase.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/18 at 00:51:20

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response, trust me the confusion is totally on my end! LOL,
I'll try explain, probably, but hopefully not confusing the issue.

My plan is after speaking with Steve last week is:

*Sell the Sony HAP-1 Server originally purchased with my Woo WA-6 Headphone Amp and Sennheiser HD660s phones.

*Purchase a Tascam DA 3000 to be installed in rack next to listening position.

*Add a ZBit to reside next to my Torii MKIV in the center of coffee table which will be flanked by ZU Dirty Weekends, hopefully arriving next week or so.

*Keep the WA6 & Sennheiser HD660s on equipment rack.

*Add appropriate XLR, DHC-1,DSR, DSG, ZSTYX

My intended question should have been:
What is my best bet on a CD player to feed the Tascam?
I have access to a very large CD library from a local friend DJ here and want to copy them onto SDHC Cards.
Seems simple enough now...

I had originally thought I was going to get into vinyl right away, but am going to for-go that for now and get the entire room tuned and settle on speakers etc before that comes to fruition. Way too much to take on at once,  as I already have jumped off a fairly large cliff thus far.

Anyway, hope that makes sense, please feel free to correct me, advise me or recommend because as you can tell, I am in need... Smiley

Gotta get more info on DNA 2's (II's?) they sound very interesting especially for my room and incoming equipment.

Thanks,
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 06/11/18 at 01:22:34

Scott, I use the SDHC 8GB cards to Record.

With the purchase of the ZDSD, Steve sent a nice 20th Anniversary Case that can hold 6 SDHC Cards. In it contained a 8GB Card with some great DSD Music he recorded on it.

Ask Steve if he will send you some DSD on SDHC with your ZBIT to plug in to your DA3000. The Redbook recordings I've made sound pretty damn good. However, this DAC for me, via spinning disc in transport, is all about its Redbook to Steve's output tranny stage to ZMA ....as you will enjoy to and from your ZBIT.

I would recommend an oppo too, as transport via XLR to DA3000 to ZBIT via XLR....what I should do too......
Yes, you will enjoy making Redbook SDHC's of your friends Redbook collection CD's.
Page 31 of the DA3000 manual has your Media capacity chart and rates. 16GB Cards are of course available too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 06/11/18 at 02:06:01

....and what Steve will send you will be from his master tape(s) to SDHC too. Pretty sweet.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 06/11/18 at 02:49:16

Ok, Scott, I get it.  You are trying to record the CDs from your friend’s collection.  I thought you were merely interested in playing them.  Well, as Stone wisely stated, the Tascam to SD card will work perfectly.  I have a ZDSD as well and it is an amazing piece of hardware.  SD cards are into the 256GB range, or more?  Been awhile since I was in the market.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 06/11/18 at 02:53:12

Yes, so CD Redbook recorded to SDHC in Redbook.

ADDA from master tape ~ or ~ vinyl, .... in DSD rates to choose from...to SDHC.

Yes, pick your GB card(s).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/11/18 at 03:25:08

Stone & Jeff,

Thanks for the input and replies, sorry I didn’t even do even a half ass job of stating what I meant in the post! LOL, ahh well, it won’t be long before I don’t have to have a printout of DecWares Catalog and Google every time I read one your guys past posts and reviews so I know what the heck you’re talking about. Having a great time though, so that’s  what counts.
  Wall treatments from GIK this week, maybe ZU’s and my name is comin up quick on the list for my MKIV. Tascam DA-3000 is out til July for shipment, going to hope somebody backs out on their ZBIT order in the next few weeks, because the list is now huge compared to when I ordered the MKIV.
  I think my poor old hound dog, a 12 y.o. RedBone Coonhound from a shelter thinks I’m gonna put him on E-Bay to fund this, but he might bring about 3 feet of ZSTYX, so he is safe... for now.

Best to All,
Thanks again,
Scott

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/14/18 at 01:43:12

Hey Scott. It sounds like you may want to do two things with CDs or CD data? One, copy CDs to SD cards to play direct in the Tascam. And two, play CDs directly through the DAC???

Also, I suspect you will want to copy files from your Sony server?

For copying CDs, you could use your Macbook. I would go error corrected and uncompressed when converting CD to a drive, either to an SD card direct, or to an external drive if you want to have all your digital files in one place, and for backup. There is a good Mac app called XLD for converting CDs to error corrected files.

If you store your music on a music-only drive, you can copy CD files from it to your SD cards for direct play in the DAC, also giving you two copies. You could presumably put the files you have on your Sony on this drive too.

Also considering upgrading your DAC or Server in future, a drive for all your music would be easy to use for other setups.

I use a souped up Mac Mini as a music server (ridiculously good). It is pretty established to avoid computer processing not needed for music for best sound. So best to minimize computer work, reducing file dissection and reassembly sound degradations, noise, etc before the computer sends the data to the DAC. Having the music on the same drive as the OS and player software does not support this.

In this vein of avoiding subtle data degradation, using USB to connect my DAC to the computer, I don't want to use the same USB buss for DAC and an external music drive. And since the best Minis for music are older models with Firewire for fairly fast and clean transfer, I use a good sounding Firewire drive for my music (they are not equal). Point being, if you use an external drive, it may be good to get one that has some options for connections so that you can segregate it from your DAC buss with future changes. Not a huge deal with drives so cheap these days, but a consideration. You may even be able to play directly from a hard drive into the Tascam???

For playing and listening to CDs direct to your DAC, you would want a good sounding CD transport hooked up to the Tascam that does not degrade your sound.

Not having the Tascam, I can't speak from experience, but I suspect for "recording" discs to SD cards using the DAC as "recorder," you may well be able to hook your Macbook to the DAC to do this. I bet for directly playing CDs though, a dedicated quality CD transport would sound better. Also, don't know how the DACs internal recorder is...how it does it, but the CD files may be better using XLD to copy them to disc on your computer. Whichever is best, worth checking out.

The work of converting files makes doing it in the best sounding ways, and keeping backups well worth it to me. I keep a backup of my minimized computer OS and software, and a backup of my music drive. There is a nice Mac program for this called Super Duper.

Hope this helps.

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/14/18 at 15:44:14

Will,

Thank you for taking the time to respond with great info. I have decided to go with the Tascam DA3000, Tascam CD500Bal, RME 2 Channel DA Coverter, Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock for my MAC. Additionally I have a ZBIT, & cables on order along with my MKIV that is on the bench. Can’t wait.

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print