03/28/24 at 21:36:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steve's Headphone amp (Read 5338 times)
Echo15
Verified Member

Steve's Headphone amp
06/09/18 at 02:13:27

I commute about 100 miles round trip every day on motorcycle so car audio does nothing for me. I have IEMs (Shure, PS Audio), and while these aren't considered hard to drive the wind noise, even in my helmet, means I do not get a pristine listening experience. I have had a few headphone amps over the last few years, but either they don't have much audio nirvana built in or they were, to put it mildly, unreliable.
I have been impatiently waiting for steve's amp for weeks, and it finally arrived yesterday. Well, it was worth it. Burn in still going on, but even after one day, it is opening up.

I don't feel concern over reliability... It is built like a tank. And, sound quality is just going to get better.

Other than my turntable (Acoustic Signature Final Tool), my entire system is Decware.

It has been several years since anyone posted on this thread, so I thought I'd get it going..

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Steve's Headphone amp
Reply #1 - 06/09/18 at 02:25:51

I’ve always had problem riding with music playing for some reason.
It makes my riding sloppy, it must be from deviding my attention. It is always silicone earplugs and a real quiet Shoei for me.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/09/18 at 02:29:26

No music for me either on the road. I love where my brain goes on long-distance trips. Nothing like it the way my thoughts and feelings go and intertwine and how in tune to the road and machine I get.

But I bet that the ZH1 is an excellent amp. I have the Taboo Mk III and Mk IV and two CSP2+ and they are excellent headphone amps. . . made an in-home headphone listener out of me after I stopped listening to them a few decades.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Echo15
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/18 at 18:48:15

Agree with the earplugs when riding. I don't seem to have a distraction problem with music when riding.
Anyway, further impressions: Damn but this thing is neutral! I really can't pick out any way to give a comment on its "sound." It is the old "straight wire with gain."  It doesn't add or subtract at all. And, that is a huge recommendation.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 09/17/18 at 00:19:11

The worst truck that I ever owned didn't even have a radio. It sucked me dry financially too. When I did get a decent ride, one of the first songs that I heard was from DSOTM. I passed my exit, on purpose and listened until I was ready to go home.
And yes, way back, I did hook up headphones inside one of my rides. Hard to beat really.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print