Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:05:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving - New Audio Setup (Read 6370 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Moving - New Audio Setup
06/07/18 at 12:42:34

I’m moving to a place with the following construction. Concrete floor under laminate planks. Drywall on interior walls with metal wall studs.

I plan to mount the turntable to the wall via a spruce shelf to avoid vibration from the speakers thumping the laminate and transferring from the floor to an audio stand to the table. Should I mount the TT shelf to the studs or to the drywall?

What should I place under the speakers to optimize their performance on top of a laminate floor?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Moving - New Audio Setup
Reply #1 - 06/07/18 at 15:35:22

I think you're in trouble with that wall construction.  Those metal studs won't damp much.  Probably the drywall is a better option but you won't have much mounting strength.  It'd be bad for the whole thing to pull off of the wall.

If it were me, I'd try a floor mount and isolation platform(s) under the speakers and equipment.  You don't say how the flooring is installed.  If it's glued down you may be okay.  If it's floating you might need to add a bunch of weight to the stand to push the flooring firmly against the concrete.  

Your various mounting options might just be trading low, mid or high frequency issues.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/07/18 at 17:03:31

Floating floor. Worst nightmare realized.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/07/18 at 18:19:23

Whatever you do, do not put something so heavy on a floating floor to prevent it from moving.  That will certainly become your worst nightmare.  secondly a floating floor must have an expansion and contraction gap at the walls and around door jambs.  If it doeasn’t, another nightmare will ensue.

If the above two factors are not given consideration the floating floor will expand and contract with nowhere to got.  Buckling planks will take on whole new meaning.

You can still use a floor stand that is isolated just not overly heavy or you can mount to the dry wall.  There are HD drywall anchors that are now available that are more than suitable and will do a good job.

In my renovation I used steel studs but covered with 5/8” fire block dry wall.  All walls are insulated with Roxul Safe and Sound.  The floor is on concrete and its a floating floor.  But it is a premium grade Cork floor, sadly no longer available.  The planks are cork top layer, cork underlay with a true HDF core.  There is also a 2mm 3 in 1 cushion between the concrete and the floor.  On top there will be a large handknotted Super Agra Rug.

Now will come the room treatment.  

I realize that you will not be able to do all of this.  Perhaps this will give you some guidelines in dealing with your space.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/18 at 18:30:03

One other factor to take into account... under no circumstances does one glue down a floating floor.  Some Engineered/Layered construction would floors can be because they are inherently stable.  But these are rare, expensive and even then manufactures usually will have a disclaimer if glued down.  Depending on where you live, you should have a good humidifier in cold climates and a good air conditioner.  Keep the relative  humidity between 35% - 50% winter and summer.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/07/18 at 20:28:57

Thanks Joman for the advice.

55   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 06/08/18 at 01:40:23

Hehe, cut a hole in the laminate and mount your stand directly on the concrete slab.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/08/18 at 12:46:43

Actually, that’s not as crazy as it sounds as long as you have spare boards, or can get spare boards.  Individual boards are not that hard to replace especially if the board ends have a “drop & lock” type system.

Cut holes now, small diameter, just large enough to accommodate a spike or cone.  When or if you vacate the space...replace the boards.  In the context of the mind set of audiophiles this would be perfectly rational.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/08/18 at 14:03:06

Not at all, considering that in a former setup on laminate floor speaker stand spikes pierced the plank and went down to the concrete.

55   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 06/10/18 at 05:48:16

Steve said exactly what I was going to say.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/10/18 at 15:15:52

We're taking about HR1's here.

55   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/11/18 at 01:27:33

Gotta love it, I'm not alone out there...
Seems like it's going to be...Challenging

Will be looking forward to following this.

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print