Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 08:23:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For Sale: Mint Thomas Mayer 6AH4 preamp/linestage (Read 2371 times)
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

For Sale: Mint Thomas Mayer 6AH4 preamp/linestage
06/01/18 at 07:11:26

With much regret I'll be selling my newly minted Thomas Mayer 6AH4 preamp/linestage.

For those who are not familiar with Thomas Mayer, he is one of the greatest and most respected designers and manufacturer of world class amps, preamps and phonostage in the world.

With all due respect to any noval tube preamp design, the 6AH4 octal preamp is the best preamp I've ever heard. There are no weaknesses that I can think of. Noise level is as low as the quietest solid state design. The tonal accuracy and timbre is simply breathtaking. Micro and macro details are at the highest level. Soundstage and imaging are as good as it gets in a preamp.

So how did Thomas achieve all this? Thomas is very famous for his all transformer approach to both the power supply and the signal path. In other words there are NO resistor or signal capacitors on any of his high end products. Even the caps for the power supply use only the finest US made polypropylene OIL caps.

1) Full choke input power supply using world class Lundahl chokes and Weiss power transformer.

2) Full Lundahl decoupling chokes for each of the 6AH4 tubes.

3) Dual pair of Slagle AVC ( autoformer volume control) in 24 steps - probably the greatest form of volume control on the planet in a preamp/linestage.

4) 4 pair of inputs total ( 1 XLR using the famous Lundahl input transformer). 2 pairs of outputs ( 1 XLR via Lundahl line out transformer).

5) Full transformer coupled preamp/linestage. This will easily drive any power amplifier using even the longest interconnects.

6) Low gain design ( about 3 - 6 db total).  

7) There are only 3 tubes on this preamp: 2 6AH4 tubes and 1 6BY5 rectifier in a full wave hybrid bridge rectifier scheme.

Why am I selling this very highly regarded preamp? Because I have decided to order Thomas's top of the line 10Y preamp but this is at double the cost and out of the price range of most people. I believe the 6AH4 preamp gives the owner about 95% of the performance of Thomas's top of the line 10Y at about half the cost and is his best preamp/linestage for the money.  

Here is the actual link to my preamp before shipping from Germany:
http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-6ah4-line-stage.html

I will be including 10 pairs of fully matched and tested 6AH4 NOS tubes as well as 11 NOS 6BY5 rectifiers.
Considering how long preamp and rectifier tubes last, any prospected buyer will NEVER have to worry about any tubes for the life of this preamp.

I paid 8k for this preamplifer including the cost of tubes and shipping from Germany and custom duties.

PayPal is preferred but I'm open to any other form of payment.

I'm asking for $5000 with free shipping to anywhere in the CONUS.

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks for looking and good luck.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Re: For Sale: Mint Thomas Mayer 6AH4 preamp/linestage
Reply #1 - 06/07/18 at 00:12:53

SOLD. Thanks for looking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print