Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:41:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Circuit Breakers--Who Makes Quality Units? (Read 2609 times)
Matthew
Seasoned Member

Circuit Breakers--Who Makes Quality Units?
04/26/18 at 07:22:01

too long;didn't read - Who makes a very good quality single-pole circuit breaker for home use?

My apartment is on a single, 20A circuit breaker.  I couldn't tell you off-hand, which style it is, as far as how it plugs into the panel.  And I know that running an entire apartment off a single breaker is asking a lot of a breaker, but it's the way the unit is wired as this is an old, Victorian house which has been partitioned off into two large units on the bottom (one of which I am in) and 4 smaller units on top.

However, I feel that my breaker may be up in years, and have the tendency to blow too easily.  It tends to blow if more than two large-draw items are on at the same time.  The refrigerator is a new, but relatively cheap unit.  And we can mange to have the fridge running and the portable air-conditioner, but if anything else happens to be in use, especially the microwave, which is the last receptacle in the circuit, it will break.  After about four years of tenancy, I noticed it could blow if the fridge is running, every light in the house is on, the oven hood vent is running, and the microwave is on.  Or it can be a combination of the rice cooker, oven hood vent and fridge.  It could possibly depend on the draw elsewhere in the house.  Even though we appear to be the only ones on our circuit, it is still affected by the draw from other tenants' air-conditioners so our service to the house is probably a bit insufficient for 6 tenants.

Plus, the wiring is very old--the cloth covered wire of yesteryear.  It should really, be completely rewired, but the man who owns it does keep the rent very cheap for the area we live in so I can't complain much if at all.  I had to replace every outlet in the house when I moved in because plugs would just fall out of the wall due to no retention.

chickenkofta   IP Logged
nazim
Verified Member

Re: Circuit Breakers--Who Makes Quality Units?
Reply #1 - 05/04/18 at 16:02:59

At one point, Walmart promoted that Element TVs were assembled in the US. Initially Detroit and South Carolina. Most of the work was actually done in China, and the parts shipped to the US for final assembly. ShowBox VidMate Mobdro

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Circuit Breakers--Who Makes Quality Units?
Reply #2 - 05/04/18 at 18:08:54

Matthew,

In the end, it should add up to how much current is being asked for by the total load in your apartment. If the combination of appliances and bulbs, etc add up to 20 amps, even at peak, then there is a likelihood of the circuit breaker tripping. Having said that, you are correct when you note that the breaker is old and may be weakening from age. Lastly, you may find it a challenge to buy the breaker which will fit into an old panel, since designs have changed over the decades. Square D is a good brand that I would recommend. It is also advisable to check the tightness of the connection right at the breaker itself, as these can loosen over time.
......It was a good idea that you had about changing out all the outlets.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print