Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 02:02:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Potato Masher...chatham 5R4WGA (Read 3315 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Potato Masher...chatham 5R4WGA
04/25/18 at 11:48:24

An ebay seller who screwed up an order I had with him sent one of these and three worthless 12AU7s.  Has anyone used one of these rectifiers in their Decware Amps?  Impressions...comments? Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Potato Masher...chatham 5R4WGA
Reply #1 - 04/28/18 at 20:59:18

Hey Mark,

A nice tube. Just depends if you like it with rest in your setup. I have not used them in quite a while, but liked them!

Compared to RCA 5U4G-STs, it has a more solid, big, and less shimmery "signature," while having increased sense of spacial information. And like other 5R4s I have tried, it pretty fast, solid, dynamic, spacious, and neutral. The Chatham is big, a bit warmish, and mellow, but revealing, sort of like a bigger brother of Euro GZ32s, but with less fine-fine detail, though still good at fine detail. A good tube. Why not try it?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/28/18 at 21:18:38

Good to hear.  I'll try it sometime but at the moment I've got Mullard GZ-32's everywhere except the second system CSP3 where I have a 50's Ediswan GZ-32.and I don't want to change them for a while.  Thanks for the reply.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/28/18 at 23:14:18

Nice. The ones I have are marked Chatham 5R4WGY...not sure the vintage, but guess they are a little different like various Mullard made GZ32s are different, but with a similar flavor. It would be interesting to play some reference tunes replacing a GZ32 in your CSP3 with a Chatham..all else the same.

I used all Philips made GZ32s for years and really like the tube. For quite a while though, I have been using an engraved base Philco Type 80 Globe in the CSP3 and some early B4 (British 4 pin) versions of Telefunken AZ1s in the Torii. Both of these require special adapters, and in my setup, sound really right. But then, with a little mixing and matching, I love a lot of tubes!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/29/18 at 03:48:46

When I saw "Potato Masher" in the title, I thought  we were about to talk about something JBL.

Disappointed

I would love to talk about some JBL things with you guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print