Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

The UFO Transformers
04/15/18 at 16:20:19

This week I moved the Taboo Mk III amplifier out of my main system where I have been using it as a headphone amplifier for a number of weeks and placed the Taboo Mk IV into service as the headphone amp. I had been using the Mk IV as my speaker amplifier and that duty has now been taken over by the might SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks.

The Taboo Mk III is an excellent amplifier. Mine has a stepped attenuator and Jupiter beeswax caps. The Mk IV has the Type 2 caps from Jupiter and two "standard" potentiometers, and  the one other difference is that it has the Decware "UFO transformers." There is a difference between the two amplifiers when using headphones, and I am sure a bit of the difference is the different caps. But to be honest I think the biggest difference is caused by the different transformers. The UFO transformers have a profound effect on the sound.

Steve writes of these: "UFO stands for Ultra Fidelity Output transformers. These proprietary Decware transformers push what's possible in a boutique output transformer design with a high degree of precision and the very best steel yielding a bandwidth 5 times wider than human hearing so that the response in the audio band becomes ruler flat."

In comparison, one can hear this "ruler flat" sound from the UFO transformers. They create an openness that is unusual in audio playback. A deep clarity creates few barriers to the signal and you can hear the clear, unfettered sound, which exhibits itself with a bump of dynamic contrast as well. In comparison the Mk III sounds a bit slower and confined, which honestly with some material is a boon. These transformers, available in a number of amplifiers, seem in my experience the breakthrough in fidelity that Steve states they are. I have them now also in the SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks, and that clear and dynamic sound is at the core of their signature sound as well.

The UFO transformers are in my opinion now another feature of Decware products that makes them stand out for value and quality.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Re: The UFO Transformers
Reply #1 - 04/15/18 at 21:59:16

Lon…great write up.  

I think it’s finally time for me to send my CKC in for a UFO upgrade.  I have really been enjoying the CKC→ERRx combo lately (after a speaker cable change) and I think I can take this combo to the next level with the UFO transformers.

Until this past week, I was feeding the amp with the Oppo BDP-83.  My son and I moved the PSA stack closer to the audio rack and I switched to the Directstream.  I gained significant detail and space but lost weight and density.  

I am feeding the amp from the DS DAC RCA outputs, which is <2V.  I either need a ZBIT, or a CSP to help with weight/density.   Maybe a 25th Anniversary CSP3?  ; )

I feel like I have come full circle on my audio journey in some ways.  When I got the ZMA, I considered selling the CKC, but I’m glad I didn’t.  Onwards and upwards with the UFO...

Happy Listening,
Dave

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 04/16/18 at 21:01:35

I keep telling Palomino to send one of his Rachel in for UFO treatment - hopefully Steve can do some 25th anniversary mods on Rachels as well?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lee Williamson
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/24/23 at 14:06:36

It's fascinating to hear about your audio setup and the differences you've noticed between the Taboo Mk III and Mk IV amplifiers. The UFO transformers certainly seem to have made a significant impact on the sound quality, offering a more open and clear audio playback. It's impressive that Decware has managed to design transformers with such precision, resulting in a wide bandwidth and a "ruler flat" response.

By the way, speaking of upgrades, have you ever considered improving the flooring in your listening room? I recently came across AmericanPolyFloor.com, a website that offers high-quality epoxy garage flooring in Newark. They have some fantastic options for enhancing the aesthetics and durability of your space. Just a thought to further enhance your audio experience!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 06/24/23 at 15:59:08

Good to see that the scammers are still here.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 06/24/23 at 18:50:06

Dave,

I run an a pair of SE84C+ amps where one was upgraded to the UFO transformers a with full Anniversary mods.  It’s paired with my Err speakers and the sound is just amazing!!  There was a very noticeable difference with the UFO upgrades.   Now I just need to send the second amp back in for the full upgrades.  It’s not cheap, but it was totally worth it.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 06/24/23 at 18:56:13

Gosh, I wonder what an epoxy coating would sound like when poured over my exotic wood floor?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print