Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 22:21:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Super 3 High Output XRS vs Super Alnico XRS (Read 5306 times)
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Super 3 High Output XRS vs Super Alnico XRS
03/22/18 at 15:18:07

I've narrowed down my options between these two speakers for my audio and TV needs. I'm torn between which ones will be better as all around speakers. I would love thoughts and opinions. I will also be consulting Louis of course but would like your experience as well.

The Room
19' x 12' with the back wall having an opening of 10' into the dining kitchen area.

From what I've read the Super 3 HO XRS will have more snap and high end extension. The Super Alnico HO XRS being more textured and mid focused. Would the Alnico's sound good for TV/movie stuff or should they only be considered for music?

Right now I'm not concerned with the cost difference and want to invest a good overall solution that will have great synergy with my Decware gear. I'm sure I'm not providing enough information, so please let me know anything else that will help with an opinion of which would be better suited for my needs. Thanks!

IMG_7821.jpg

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: Super 3 High Output XRS vs Super Alnico XRS
Reply #1 - 03/22/18 at 16:13:29

Truthfully the only way to really tell is you would have to audition both of them in your place and see which ones you like better.
I have not heard these but over the years of trying a few speakers out I have noticed I like the sound of a larger driver. 6.5 - 8" for full range drivers is the sweet spot for me. To me they seems to give a fuller/bigger soundstage. If I had this decision I would probably go for the Super Alnico and yes they should sound great for TV/movies not only music.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/18 at 17:37:26

I agree that the only way you can tell is to try.  I have the Omega S3HOXRS and have lived with them for about a year now.

The first comment I will make is than you cannot make any decisions based on the size of the driver(s) used.  It took me months to get my head around this because the image and scale that these produce should not be possible if one is to think in terms of driver size.

They produce an image and scale that easily bests the Maggie’s that I had and any 6” or 8” driver equipped dynamic speaker that I have had.  Now add to the above the speed of an electrostatic speaker and try to accept that will happen with a dynamic speaker, not possible? It is with these.

They are very, very transparent.  That means that if you give them the right source the realism can be... disarming, right across the frequency spectrum.  Bass... OK to Good on their own but if you budget for a ZROCK 2... much more than one would think possible and way more than enough for me.  And, it appears that you do have an Omega sub... interesting possibilities.

So what’s the catch?  Budget for one.  Burn in period, not bad during burn in but, you’ve got to give them time, and while they are demanding for bests results they are not totally unforgiving so with patience and a bit of work the results could be very surprising.  I did have moments when I was somewhat uncertain of my choice of these...not any more, patience is the key.

I do use them for both video and music.  They will not shake the room, if that’s what you want but they will throw energy into the room and a certain “sneaky startle factor”.  I run mine with a UFO2 and no one has been able to accept that the results are coming from a 2 watt based system with speakers that 4” drivers!(never gets old).

The question still remains, are they right for you???  Can’t say, for me yes, for you?  Only one way to know (not very helpful is this? Cool.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 03/22/18 at 17:54:05

I've heard the Omega Super 3 HO XRS' a few times and have had the Omega Super 3 XRS in my listening room for extended listening(they belonged to a friend).  I have not heard the Omega Alnico's, but I have extensive experience with Audio Nirvana drivers with neodymium, ferrite and Alnico magnets... 3 different versions of the same driver.  

In the case of AN's, the Alnico's are noticeably and significantly smoother, fleshier, less forward, and less micro dynamically detailed than the other two.  The Alnico's are slightly less sensitive/efficient also - but not enough to matter - only relative to the ferrite and neo magnet models.  This is consistent with what I have always heard and read about Alnico magnet drivers - they are "smooth", warm, natural, insert your descriptive wording "here".

I actually owned the Alnico models first and was quite pleased with them for several years.  I came into some "pre owned" neo and ferrite drivers kind of by accident or I likely would never have experimented or compared the different versions.  In my experience, it also matters how you're going to "implement" the drivers.  The Alnico's sound really good "in a box".  For open baffle, I prefer the ferrite or neo models.  And I'm pretty much exclusively an OB "guy" these days - 3 different OB builds and working on a 4th end-all, be-all design - Ha.... never say never!

But it all boils down to your personal taste, your room, and your partnering equipment.  For well recorded material, I prefer the more detailed AN drivers simply because they get you closer to "live".  If the music is produced less than excellent, the Alnico's are probably a better choice.  If you are going to listen to movie's a lot with these speakers, the smoother Alnico's might be worth the extra $$.  However, having owned both for many years now, given they are driven by tube amps, it's probably more cost effective to "smooth out" the ferrite and neo drivers personality a bit to your taste/preference with some tube rolling tuning rather than spend double the $$ for the Alnico drivers - just my experience and opinion - YMWV

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/18 at 03:51:46

Thank you all for the feedback. It is really useful and gives me some things to consider.

I'm using the setup in my signature for both audio and all TV duties. The current speakers I'm using are Dayton PS220 8" rated at 96.5dB with neodymium magnets. They are plenty efficient for my listening levels (70 - 80dB). The high end/treble on these speakers is extended sounding but somewhat harsh as well. Although sound quite good with vinyl.

I keep going back and forth on which omegas I'd like more, which is really hard not hearing them in my room through my setup as mentioned. I found with guitar amps I prefer ceramic magnets for there clarity and cut in a band mix. I know this may not be the case for home audio listening. With all the rave reviews of the omega alnico's, it makes me wonder what I'm missing.

JOMAN, your reviews sparked my interest back when you began your journey. I've enjoyed following along. Makes me wonder if the alnico's will be able to image in a similar way.

Anyone on here who owns either of these speaker choices and lives in California that'd be willing to let me bring my amp and zrock2 over to audition? Worth a shot, right?!  :)

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/18 at 01:16:29

Spoke with Louis today and decided to get the Super 3 HO XRS. Really excited to get them. Now the wait... Smiley

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Jake G
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/17/18 at 21:29:38

looking forward to hearing more about how you like them. Been eyeing his gear for some time now..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print