Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:25:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plate voltage of a MkIV (Read 5011 times)
Andrew Bryant
Verified Member

Plate voltage of a MkIV
03/04/18 at 17:50:03

I was curious if anyone knows what the plate voltage of the Torii mkIV is. I am still new at trying to understand everything pertaining to the electrical aspects of vacuum tube amps.
In the owners manual it states
HIGH B+ VOLTAGE: 410 VDC CHOKE REGULATED PER CHANNEL

Is this the same as plate voltage. The reason I am asking is I want to try some different tubes such as the 6AR6 (6098) and I have some RCA 6L6GB tubes on the way. The RCA 6l6GB is rated at 360V which is close I guess and very similar to many original 6l6 tubes.
I have also read that the current that runs through the tube plays a bigger role than the plate voltage. I thought I would ask my questions here first before asking Steve.
The price of NOS tubes is ridiculous and I guess I am just on a quest for some not so mainstream tubes that sound really good. I did just purchase some 1960 GE 6l6GC tubes that are by far the best tube I have run in my Torii so far. Amazing tubes. I got the RCA black plate 6l6GB tubes at about 1/4 the price of the RCA black plate 6l6GC and I just figured they are probably similiar sounding although the GBs will not have the power of the GCs but that is not an issue for me.
Anyway thanks for your time.
Andrew

VPI Scout->ATA pp->
Hovland HP100->Torii mkIV
Neko DAC->
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Plate voltage of a MkIV
Reply #1 - 03/04/18 at 18:15:51

I can't answer your question, I'm not technically savvy but the link below is an inexpensive Russian Tube ($59 per quad) that many have used in the Torii MK IV. I Used some older ones from the Futon Plant and liked them but also bought some of those in the link from a Russian seller at the same time that I haven't tried.  I am a big fan of the RFT EL-34, often labeled Siemens.... they would run about $250 for a Quad these days...they were made in Germany in the 70's and 80's. Mark.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_80&products_id=335&osCs...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Andrew Bryant
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/04/18 at 19:01:26

Thanks Mark I appreciate the recommendations. I actually have a quad of the Reflektor 6L6s and they sound really good. The second best I have heard out of my Torii behind the GE tubes I mentioned. I have a quad of the RFT el34s as well and they are the best el34s I have heard but not close to any 6L6 I have heard. The only other ones I have are Tung Sols and I don't really care for those at all in my system. I have some Gold Lion kt77s that I like a lot and as far as new tubes I think Gold Lion is probably the best around for new stock. I know about the hazen grid mod CCE in relation to the el34 but 6l6s sound the best to me overall by far.  I might pick up some NOS Philips el34s if I can find some for less than a mortgage payment as people say these are some of the best. I have some 6BG6 to 6L6 adapters coming and some NOS RCA 6BG6 black plates that I am excited to hear. Thanks again for the recommendations and if anyone knows about the 6L6GB holler.

Andrew

VPI Scout->ATA pp->
Neko DAC->
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/04/18 at 19:19:22

Why not just get some 807 tubes? They sound great in the MK IV with that same adapter you will be receiving. The 807 is a 25 watt tube as opposed to a 20 watt like the 6BG6.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Andrew Bryant
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/18 at 19:36:45

Funny you mention that. I have some Russian 807s on the way now to compare as well. The 807s seem scarce for a matched quad but the price is usually really good.

VPI Scout->ATA pp->
Neko DAC->
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/18 at 20:28:25

You Guys and your adapters Smiley....there are too many choices as it is.  Let us know your impressions of those RCAs. It would also help , at least me, if you told what you paid for things to see if it's worth exploring for me.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print