Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:01:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speakers, 8 ohm vs 4 ohm (Read 3945 times)
NothingButTreble
Verified Member

Speakers, 8 ohm vs 4 ohm
01/31/18 at 03:24:33

I hope such a simple question is acceptable here, but hopefully the knowledgeable ones will help me understand.

With a speaker at 8 ohm, 99dB, and a speaker at 4 ohm, 96dB, will the volume be equal with the same amount of power (voltage) to each?

Why is the 8 ohm speaker so perfect for the Decware amps?

And is this chart:
https://www.decware.com/newsite/buyingguide.html
for 8 ohm speakers?

Wouldn't the chart be different for 4 ohm speakers?

I'm still not really understanding about this difference, and so far my research hasn't really clearly explained simply enough for me to understand.

Any help is appreciated.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Speakers, 8 ohm vs 4 ohm
Reply #1 - 01/31/18 at 15:34:19

I'll take a stab at this (note: watts=voltage squared divided by ohms):

IN GENERAL, a tube amp will put out a fixed number of watts into a load whether it be 4 ohm or 8 ohm.  In a test I set a zkit1 up to put out 2.83v into 8 ohms (1w) then changed the load to 4 ohms.  The voltage dropped to 2.03v (still 1w).

IN GENERAL, a solid state amp will put out a fixed voltage no matter what the load.  This means that the wattage will double if the load changes from 8 to 4 ohms.  In a test I set a solid state amp up to put out 2.83v into 8 ohms (1w) then changed the load to 4 ohms.  The voltage dropped to 2.73v or 1.86w into 4 ohms which is within 7.5% of doubling the 1w into 8 ohms.

So:
A solid state amp should drive your 8 ohm, 99 db speakers to 99 db (1w).
A solid state amp should drive your 4 ohm, 96 db speakers to (almost) 99 db (almost 2w).
A tube amp should drive your 8 ohm, 99 db speakers to 99 db (1w).
A tube amp should drive your 4 ohm, 96 db speakers to 96 db (1w).

I don't think the 8 ohm speaker is as important to Decware amps as the speaker's efficiency is.  I think you can usually find a more efficient 8 ohm speaker than you can a 4 ohm speaker and that's whats better suited for a Decware amp.  All things being equal, a 6 ohm speaker would probably be best for the amp.

Dan

IP Logged
NothingButTreble
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/18 at 20:36:29

Thank you so much, that's a very interesting experiment.  I didn't think there would be such a difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp.

I had remembered one comment somewhere comparing the 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers, and it was "if your amp can double-up."

I'm wondering too then, what volume (dB) is a normal listening level?  I really haven't seen any data about that in the research I've done.

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #3 - 02/01/18 at 19:43:56

To find "your normal listening level" I would tell you to download a db meter app on your phone and measure the sound pressure level from your listening chair.

I listen between 80-85 db (average) from my listening chair, but i can only handle an hour or so at 85 before i need to turn it down a tad.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/01/18 at 21:06:18

How would a Decware (pentode designed) amp respond to a 2 ohm load compared to an 8 ohm load? If these speakers were 95dB?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print