Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 01:50:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Definitive subwoofer connection strategy? (Read 5959 times)
TomFrei
Verified Member

Definitive subwoofer connection strategy?
01/01/18 at 17:11:00

I think there are 3 subwoofer connection strategies:
1) RCA from pre-amp to subwoofer
2) Hi-level speaker output from power amp to hi-level inputs on subwoofer; and then connect subwoofer outputs to speakers.
3) A strategy recommended by Blumenstein audio: hi-level speaker outputs from power amp to speakers, and then piggyback from the speakers to the hi-level speaker inputs on the subwoofer(s).

I think the third option argues that this approach allows the main speakers to get all the "benefit" from the power amp without possible adulteration from the subwoofer crossover.  With the understanding that my decware set amp is very revealing, I think I lean toward this 3rd option.  It sounds good to me anyway, but I'm wondering what this forum knows about this.  Any thoughts?  It would be neat to see what Steve D. thinks.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Definitive subwoofer connection strategy?
Reply #1 - 01/01/18 at 17:48:13

The 3rd option is your best one. You will get a little of your tube goodness!
I've been doing it that way for years, works great.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 01/01/18 at 18:15:36

TomFrei- I would agree with Donnie about # 3 being the best option (imho). When I set up our listening room for the Decware/Omega system, the speaker wire I pulled is an AQ four conductor cable, so I have all four conductors connected at our Rachael (per channel) and then one pair to the left speaker and the other pair to the left high level input on the subwoofer and then same for the right channel. Amp straight to speaker and straight to sub. I did play with the stereo RCA out of the Rachael to the RCA in on the sub, but felt the high level was best. Let us know how it pans out for you and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
TomFrei
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/02/18 at 13:35:23

Thanks for all the feedback.  What you say more or less confirmed my intuition, but it is nice to benefit from your experiences.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/18 at 20:54:15

I like 4) as mentioned by hdrider; speaker wire from main amp to speakers and speaker wire from main amp to sub amp.

IP Logged
TomFrei
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/04/18 at 22:15:09

Maybe this is more an academic question, but I wonder what the difference is (in terms of circuit dynamics) between 1) running speaker wire from power amp to speaker and then piggy-backing from there to the subwoofer; and 2) running speaker wire from power amp to speaker, and then running a 2nd speaker wire  from power amp to subwoofer?  Does the power amp "see" these two circuits differently?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/05/18 at 01:26:59

No, but you can run different wire.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 01/05/18 at 14:25:03

Agreed, both options would be parallel wiring - I don't think either changes impedance or anything.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print