Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 19:40:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Couple of Clarifications for a newbie (Read 5676 times)
NothingButTreble
Verified Member

A Couple of Clarifications for a newbie
12/26/17 at 18:24:51

I will appreciate any help in my endeavor to safely and correctly hook up the Rachael SE34I.5 as I try to make sure I don't do something wrong.

As it is now, it is a non-standard setup.  I am putting together the system, but it is a long ongoing process.  So now I have the Decware tube amp, the center speaker, and the subwoofer.

So, I think I understand that it isn't good to run the amp without being connected to speakers.  I think I understand that you can connect it in mono mode to a single speaker.  I am not sure how it works, but apparently it can be either "parallel" by connecting both + together and both - together, or "serial" by connecting the + of one side to the - of the other side, but I'd be pretty hesitant to do that as it just seems dangerous to a newbie like me, although the manual says that is the best way usually.

But then, for the powered active subwoofer, would I then just hook it up as it seems the manual recommends, with the RCA outupt jack even though there is only one speaker connected?  Is it OK to have a "1.1" system at least temporarily?  Or should I just wait to connect the subwoofer until I have a more proper setup?

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: A Couple of Clarifications for a newbie
Reply #1 - 12/27/17 at 02:03:15

Welcome!

When in doubt, stop. IMO. You should ask the designer about using the RCA output while using the amp for mono. I would think that the rca output would have the same mono signal that was feed to the inputs, but I have not run a Decware amp in mono.

How long before your other speakers arrive?

Tell us about the system that you are building.

IP Logged
whoopycat
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/27/17 at 02:20:04

Most active subs allow you to run speaker wire from your speakers to your subwoofer amp, allowing you not to have to connect the sub to the Rachael.

Looking at the Rachael manual, you have two options for bridging the amp to mono, the easiest way looks like this:

B) The left negative jack is connected to the right positive jack (series) and the remaining to unused posts will then be used to drive the loudspeaker.  Way B usually sounds better and requires a small 12 inch piece of wire to connect the two binding posts.

So you just need a small piece of unterminated speaker wire to connect left black to right red.  Then your unused speaker hookups go to your center channel.  Then connect your sub amp to your speaker using cheap speaker wire (if possible).

But if you're nervous about it, I'd just focus on the mono bridge to your center channel first and making sure it works, then focus on connecting the sub later.  Or call Steve and have him walk you through it, but I believe he builds the amps such that there's nothing you can do to harm them in terms of connections.

IP Logged
NothingButTreble
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/27/17 at 17:58:21

Thank you both for the help.

Yes, I figured I'd stop and make sure, and I definitely don't want to put the design specifications to a test it shouldn't be subjected to.

I didn't know you could run the subwoofer from a speaker, I'll have to research more on that.  It seems that might work out great.

It just seems a bit more worrisome to connect it in series, but I suppose I will try that since the manual says it is OK.  

IP Logged
whoopycat
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/27/17 at 20:37:59

Many subwoofer manufacturers recommend you run your sub off your speakers instead of your preamp.  Sean at Zu told me to do that when I auditioned their Undertone sub.  The advantage is that the speakers and the sub both get the same amp signal and you don't have to worry if your preamp out is fixed or variable.  

The typical input impedance of speaker level inputs on a sub is very high, like 500 ohms, so high that the amp doesn't really see the load of the sub (the amp doesn't have to work any harder).

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 12/28/17 at 16:54:50

NothingButTreble,
So what are your plans speaker wise?
Are you saving up for something?
Heck, if you are close to Illinios, I'll loan you a pair for a while. I have 3 pairs of speakers in my stereo room right now and am planning on making several more as soon as the weather gets somewhere above -3.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
NothingButTreble
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/03/18 at 22:11:51

Wow Donnie, loaning me a couple of speakers would be spectacular!!!  It ALMOST makes me wish I was in Illinois, that is until I see the -3°!!!

I'm using the Klipsch R-112SW, and see that the inputs are RCA jacks.  Now, according to https://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/subwoofer-tips, it really is a benefit to do this.

I'm thinking I understand whoopycat's information somewhat, that even daisy chained the sub still gets the signal it needs without needing to pull additional power from the amp (since it is powered itself).

So at some point I'll be trying this.

I do have another question before getting the Rachael going though.

From the turntable, there are three cables.  I can even figure out what they're for, and that two of them (RCA connectors) go to an input set on the Rachael.  But, the third is a spade connector grounding wire, and I've read the manual but don't know where there is a grounding lug or connector on it.  Another Decware manual for the ZP3 clearly shows what to do for that one.  "Once you are satisfied that all the tubes are hum and noise free you can connect your tonearm cables to the ZP3 and the ground wire from your turntable to the ground lug on the back of the ZP3."  Maybe it is completely obvious to people with knowledge about this, but I'm starting from the very beginning.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/03/18 at 22:50:38

The grounding point for the ZP3 is between the RCA inputs and outputs.  I think Steve now uses a screw down fitting that would take your spade but mine came with a banana jack.  If needed you can cut the spade off too.  You can touch the spade on some of the ZP3 deck screws to see if you even need to ground the TT.  My new TT has a ground but using it makes no difference.

Edit:  I just reread your post and I think you are trying to hook your TT directly to your Rachael?  You will need a phono preamp between the TT and Rachael.  I originally thought you were asking about grounding to a ZP3.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print