04/26/24 at 22:27:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tuner needed (Read 10795 times)
Showme
Seasoned Member

Tuner needed
12/17/17 at 17:43:27

I've ordered a SE84UFO2 for what will be a setup in a new listening area. I'm going to use Randy's Betsy speakers but I would invite suggestions on a tuner to include in the system. I plan on hooking up a CD and tuner. I've got a couple of other systems in the house but this one is to experience the SET/OB arrangement. Any input would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Tuner needed
Reply #1 - 12/17/17 at 17:58:56

Okay, this is an expensive recommendation, but I now have a Magnum Dynalab tuner and it's the best tuner I've ever heard. Period. It offers the kind of fidelity the UFO deserves. I popped a pair of Sylvania 7308s that were a better fit than the EH 6922s they send, which actually did sound surprisingly good in the circuit.

I have this one.

https://www.musicdirect.com/tuners/magnum-dynalab-md-90t-se-fm-tuner

I actually contacted Magnum Dynalab and they had a returned unit that was considerably cheaper. . . .

http://www.magnumdynalab.com

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/17/17 at 19:53:09

Wow, that is very nice but I'm afraid a little too nice for me. Thanks though.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/17/17 at 20:40:26

I understand, they're expensive. But once I heard what these tuners do in another system I couldn't add a lesser one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/17 at 21:51:43

Yeah I've got the Magnum Dynalab 100t which is a few years old, it might be the same one you have new production Lon.  They are amazing, i've used a few different tubes and I am currently using some old Mullard cv2492, the tuner gets the most consistent use out of my sources. I am lucky to be a couple miles from wumb.org an awesome resource of music and Emerson is also around the corner. I grew up listening to radio via headphones and it evokes some good memories.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/17/17 at 23:34:58

They're great tuners J. I went for the "SE" model as it offered balanced XLR output and I had an XLR input available on the ZTPRE. That said the single-ended output sounds as good, better in fact by a hair as the single-ended cabling I can use is better quality than the XLR cabling right now. . .but the difference is nearly moot. (My wife says the single-ended sounds better and I agree, she thinks more so than I).

I grew up on radio but soured in the workplace having to listen to endless chattering on and off the radio! So I spent a few decades whenever possible without radio, but now that I'm into classical music, and Cleveland (Lorain) has an excellent listener supported station, I'm really enjoying the excellent sound.

IP Logged
markv

Reply #6 - 12/20/17 at 11:18:29

Hi Showme - Not sure if you're looking for a new tuner or vintage, but the link for FMInfo  http://www.fmtunerinfo.com is a good resource.  I got the tuner bug a few years back and ended up with a Mitsubishi DA-F20 which is a very nice tuner for the money.  Good luck!

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/20/17 at 16:04:53

Just looked that tuner up. Very nice looking. I'm not sure if I want vintage or new. I have a very nice Dynaco FM-3 that I suppose I could use. I just thought for everyday use it might not be well suited.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/09/18 at 00:29:49

I found a Yamaha T-2 today for $100. Took that puppy home and anxiously waiting to get it hooked up. Sadly the Zen triode is still weeks away.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/05/18 at 15:43:09

So how is the tuner sounding? What you wanted it to be?

I am using better XLR cables on mine now and dropped in a pair of Amperex 7308. Sounding superb.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/18 at 22:22:32

Lon, the tuner sounds great. I found a T-7 before my Zen even arrived and I haven't even bothered to swap it in to compare.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 03/05/18 at 22:34:09

Great! I really enjoy classical music on the radio. Excellent listening.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print