Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 10:05:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FOR SALE: Omega Super Alnico High Output Speakers (Read 13845 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

FOR SALE: Omega Super Alnico High Output Speakers
11/25/17 at 23:11:09

I can't believe I am actually doing this, but here I go....   Cry

I am selling my 6-month old Omega Super Alnico High Output XRS tower speakers.  This is the best production speaker I have owned to date.  It is a phenomenal speaker, period!  On top of the speed, perfect timing, dreamy mids, the bass is quite stunning.  

Honestly, I love them and don't want to let them go.  There is nothing I don't like about them.  I will explain in another post but I have acquired a restored set of omni-directional vintage speakers that sound so good, and so unique, that I have no choice but to use them.  They are gems.  The problem is, despite my desire to keep the Omegas and swap them in and out depending on my mood, I just have no room for two pairs of loudspeakers.  I will buy them again in the future, no doubt, when I move into a more accommodating home in the next few years.

As you can see from the Omega label, they are the Level 2 Finish - real Ebony Quartered Macassar veneer.    

There is not much to say about the condition, other than MINT.  They have only been used 6 months and there are no blemishes on any part of the speaker cabinets, cones, or grills.  They come with the spikes (stock Omega) shown, but not the Herbie's Isolation Bases, nor the cherry wood platforms.  

Price is $3600.  The MSRP on these new is $4695, plus I waited 4 months for these to get built.  

I will accept personal check, cashiers check, PayPal (buyer pays fees), or cash.  Local pick up obviously preferred but I am willing to ship at buyers expense.  I will charge exact shipping and am willing to use my corporate Fedex account to get the best rate.  

Ok, there you have it.

Jadis JA-30 MKII//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205//EMM Labs DS-EQ1//DS Audio DS-003//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Pipedreams Reference 21 Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: FOR SALE: Omega Super Alnico High Output Speakers
Reply #1 - 11/25/17 at 23:28:32

Man, stick em under your bed!   Undecided

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/25/17 at 23:31:49

Bed frame too low.  Don't think I didn't try  ;)

Jadis JA-30 MKII//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205//EMM Labs DS-EQ1//DS Audio DS-003//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Pipedreams Reference 21 Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/26/17 at 00:10:00

Oh well ...

Someone will get a great deal!  I hold on to everything.  I guess that's why my house is so cluttered!   Roll Eyes

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #4 - 12/09/17 at 22:34:48

Great speakers !     Im working on moving out of here and been avoiding buying  for awhile otherwise I just might spring .   I did buy a pair of Omega Alnico mini monitors awhile back although I know these would be more in line with what I would want to hear.  
Almost forgot to ask..  what omni directionals did you buy?    I do think on some level that the old Decware  radials that I had about 10 years ago provided a special listening experience. Although too long ago to put it in perspective with present components.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/17 at 07:19:44

Hey Skiroe,
They are an odd, and rare vintage set of speakers, which I had the pleasure to listen to during the late hours Saturday night at Defect this year.  A fellow Decwarian brought a set over for all to listen.  I was obviously impressed, like many others there, with the sound these very unassuming speakers put out.  Anyway, they are Hegeman Model 1a speakers built in 1973.  I found a set that was fully reconditioned and upgraded for me as part of the purchase.  They look beautiful, especially for a 44 year old speaker!  But it's the sound that will keep these gems in my possession indefinitely.  

I did not realize it at the time, but the creator, Stewart "Stu" Hegeman, is an audio legend.  And rumor has it that these were the reference speakers of Gordon Holt, the founder of Stereophile magazine for quite a long time.  Based on how they perform, I don't doubt it one bit.  I was really lucky to come across this pair.  The soundstage is frighteningly massive and 3D to name just one of the things they do amazingly well.  

Here are some shots as there is no way I can describe the appearance of these accurately in words:

IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #6 - 12/10/17 at 18:22:02

Fantastic score!   I know who Hegeman was although I did not know about these speakers.  I'll have to keep an eye out for a pair like many others are now likely to do. .  ::)

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/12/17 at 19:26:22

Jeff,

Are you familiar with or had experience with the speakers from Morrison Audio?
Don Morrison’s speaker designs (e.g. Model 19.1, Model 29) are heavily influenced by Stewert Hegeman.

https://www.morrisonaudio.com/design-overview/

https://www.morrisonaudio.com/rooms-speakers/

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #8 - 12/12/17 at 23:28:15

litefootdan also acquired a pair of Hegeman 1a's - Dan is in my locale and recently shared his pair with my group of audio bud's at our own little CDAPS-like tune session.  The Hegeman's are very impressive sounding speakers (stereo everywhere for one thing) and a very good tonal balance.  And when you consider they are approaching fifty years old - makes them even more impressive.  The only thing we observed is a slight "boxy" awk in the mids.  But after listening to numerous and owning several, boxless speakers over the last 15 years - I am especially sensitive to this and can hear it in nearly all speakers built in a box.  It is quite possible that some minor internal cabinet mods could alleviate most of this - maybe all.  Probably time to replace any caps too.  They are definitely worth the time, effort and $$ if you can find a pair in functional condition - worth the money.

Morrison has adopted the Hegeman design nearly lock, stock and barrel.  Only the current new price for Morrison model 29's is only $9500 a pair... there are several previous versions, so a person might find an older used pair at more reasonable costs.

It's also worth mentioning, that Mirage makes speakers based on this same methodology - more or less.  i.e. current floor standing models OMD-15, OMD-28 and OS-FS.  I have a friend with an older version Mirage with their "omnipolar" upward firing mid/tweet and it definitely exhibits the same sonic traits as the Hegeman 1a's.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/13/17 at 00:50:34

Maddog, reading the high praise about the Hegemans and the Morrisons makes me really want to hear them. They are about the only speaker that I’m aware of that might tempt me away from my outstanding ERRxs
But you’re right – even if I love, love, loved them - writing a $9500 check for the Morrison 29 would be a puckering moment.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/13/17 at 01:29:41

Litefootdan was also there that night/morning at Decfest.  We both heard them for the first time and our reaction was identical.  

Before mine shipped, the caps were replaced with MIT Multicaps (matching original specs), as well as all of the internal wiring replaced with Duelund v3.0 hook up wiring.  The woofer was cleaned, polished and sent out to be re-magnetized.  The spiders and suspension were also replaced on the woofers.  The attenuator (highs) for the crossover cap was removed, disassembled and contacts fully cleaned. All the internal seams in the cabinet were caulked for an airtight seal, which apparently improves their sound/performance - no leakage.  Im not sure if this modification would affect a "boxy" sound but I don't get that out of my pair at all.  

Lastly, the stock speaker binding posts were pretty atrocious, so I had those replaced with nice WBT binding posts.  After he was finished with all of the work and gave them a listen, he wrote me and stated it was the best he has ever heard this model and regretted selling them  :)

The guy who restored mine is an expert on Hegeman speakers.  He has owned at least one pair of everything Hegeman has made and has restored a bunch of them that he later sold.  He really put a lot of effort into this pair and it shows.  They look as new as they could get for being 44 years old.

I spoke to Don Morrison.  He is a very nice gentleman.  If you are interested in owning a pair of his speakers, I would give him a call first.  He is very anti-tube and he states on his website that his speakers require bi-amping.  His suggestion is solid state with at least 100 WPC.  I have no idea what the sensitivity is of my Hegeman's or any of the Morrison line as it is not published anywhere I have seen.  My ZMA drives them very similarly to the Omega SAHO's.  I know the tweeter on the Hegeman's is 92db sensitive, but the woofer is something Hegeman hand spun himself from aluminum, so I don't believe there are any specs on these.  They were not off the shelf.  

Anyway, a very cool, interesting, and GREAT sounding speaker.  They are keepers for sure.    

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/13/17 at 04:09:09

Hey Jeff,

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Randy

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/02/18 at 18:47:13

I have decided to create a secondary system.  And with that, I will need to retain the Omega SAHOs, so I am reporting that they are no longer for sale.  

I have re-arranged some things in the room and have figured out a rather practical way to keep both sets of speakers, the Omega's and the Hegeman's, in use.  My Decware Ultra pre-amp once again, saved the day.

It all started with my continued admiration of Stewart Hegeman. I have read so many great things about the 50's era Harmon Kardon Citation II tube amplifier (designed by Stu Hegeman) and decided to pick one up, which I did.  It will go through a complete restoration of caps, resistors, wires, potentiometers, etc. since it is over 50 years old.  Luckily Jim McShane has figured it all out and sells a complete parts kit for this endeavor.  

Long story short, the Citation II will feed the Hegeman Model 1a's while the ZMA goes back to feeding the Omega SAHO's, both via the Ultra.  

So switching back and forth between the ZMA/Omega and Citation II/Hegeman systems will be a breeze.  Win-win!

IP Logged
whoopycat
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 01/02/18 at 19:32:12

Spoken like a true audiophile... when in doubt, add another system!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/02/18 at 23:02:14

As I sit here listening to the same speakers I know you've made a great decision...you might even be able to hear Trombone Shorty's new tune in the background.

JD

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/03/18 at 00:59:35

You LUCKY DOG!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/03/18 at 06:45:43

Ha! Whazzup Dan!?  How's them Model 1's sounding?  I know you know what I am talking about Smiley

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #17 - 01/08/18 at 23:32:47

I too heard the Hegeman's at Zenfest.  They are impressive.  Just what I need... another pair of speakers.  I think I have 7 now!!

I have actually been researching how I might "alter"... or "enhance" some of my OB's to make them more "Omni" like the Hegeman's.  A full-range driver, firing upward, added to my OB's, might be an experiment in my near future.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print