04/25/24 at 23:29:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Series Bridged Preamp? (Read 316 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Series Bridged Preamp?
11/05/17 at 03:03:24

I am a little confused about something which is probably obvious.

Some of the Decware single ended power amplifiers use a "Series Floating Output Bridge" to allow bridging to mono without smearing the sound.
If a preamp were made as two circuits bridged in series it might have the drive of the push-pull preamps but with a single ended sound.  

But I am wondering: would it then be any different from having a two stage preamplifier?

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Series Bridged Preamp?
Reply #1 - 11/09/17 at 04:56:20

Since "drive" really is a term that came from an amplifiers ability to deal with complex and difficult impedances from loudspeakers it really doesn't apply the same to preamps.  A preamp only has to drive an easy load with very little impedance or impedance that changes very little might be a better way to phrase it.  

"Drive" in a preamp really comes from it's voltage swing, the larger the swing, the more drive.  Our CSP3 for example has up to 30 volts of potential output with a 2 volt input which is perceived as "drive" when listening because the music is well animated and dynamic.  

So there is no reason to create a push pull preamp to create a sense of drive, when it can be easily done single ended.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Series Bridged Preamp?
Reply #2 - 11/10/17 at 02:37:18

Thank you, Steve. I was mistaken in thinking the preamps were push-pull.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print