Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 10:06:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TEAC DAC Ready Windows PCs (Read 17100 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

TEAC DAC Ready Windows PCs
11/04/17 at 05:13:22

I've built a few Tiny Form Factor PCs for locals and a couple Decware folks to use on their new DACs (I even had one guy hear mine and insist he wasn't leaving without it!). And I'm seeing some people who are new to Digital Audio and DACs struggle a little bit with the Windows side of things - so I figure I'd build a couple PCs that would be pretty much plug and play to specifically work with the Teac 503 DAC (stock or Decware ZDAC2)

Here's what I have and am offering:

Lenovo Tiny Form Factor PC with Windows 7 or Windows 10 (either one if it matters to you) loaded with the correct drivers and Foobar2000 all setup to play to the TEAC DAC just plug it in, power it up, load your music and play. $270 shipped to lower 48.

Specs: i5 Intell processor, 4GB RAM, 300GB hard drive DVD-CD Drive

Looks like this in my setup.  :)

It's pretty tiny- basically it's a laptop that's folded up into a little all metal box - pretty slick, very reliable. I have several of these little PCs that are ready to be built and shipped out.

I may have a laptop that I can do the same setup with, but I need to verify I have any left. I regularly refurbish and resell laptops but they have been harder to get off lease lately.

PM me if you have any questions or want a PC for your Digital setup.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: TEAC DAC Ready Windows PCs
Reply #1 - 11/04/17 at 05:23:41

It is a terrific deal. I would pay $300 if the firkin $300 computer I bought of the web actually worked without 11.2 hours of dicking with it. Sadly the $600 computer off the web still needs the same 11.2 hours of suffering before you are blessed with limited results...  Seriously, having someone willing to build and set up a solution like this for under $300 that takes 20 minutes to figure out on your worst day is like getting it for free... think about it.

WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/04/17 at 11:22:02

WOW, terrific deal LR!  Sent you a PM with a couple of questions, many thanks for the offering to Decware lovers.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 11/05/17 at 00:29:44

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I figured I might as well put my 20 years of IT talents towards something useful to the Decware peeps.

I'll be working on building the first two of these tomorrow.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 11/06/17 at 16:39:24

I had a lot of great questions over the weekend from forum members.

Yes, I can build the PC with an SSD drive - it does help keep the noise down and speeds everything up. You're looking at an additional $100-$300 depending on how big you're looking to go.

As for noise - these little PCs are basically highly efficient laptop hardware folded up in a durable metal box. They are super quiet and you don't hear the tiny fan from the seating position. Even at full tilt (which I had to force the fan to do in software since I'd never really heard it cranked before) it's like your A/C running at low speed...maybe not even that loud.

Also - Roon or Foobar
These PCs are fully Roon ROCK compatible, so I can install the dedicated Roon OS for you (which requires an SSD by the way) which would be my preference *if* you use Roon or are planning to use Roon. If you aren't sure, I can just do my regular Windows build with Foobar, and also load Roon server software in Windows. It's not as efficient as the dedicated Roon ROCK os, but you'll get a feel for it and see which you like better.

Hit me up and I'll get you a built and configured PC in the mail in a few days!

Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/06/17 at 18:00:39

LR, are you savvy with digital audio using Apple laptops?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 11/08/17 at 16:43:09

I don't really know Apple at all, no, sorry.

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 11/09/17 at 18:14:43

I'm going to ask my questions... here on the forum, as opposed to a PM, as I'm sure others have the same questions.  

How is this PC "controlled"?  Do I need a monitor, a mouse and a keyboard?  I assume yes.

is there some "app" that can run on a device that is on the same network as this PC that can control it?

actually... what I'm asking - is when I'm listening to music stored on this PC... or perhaps an external USB drive attached to it... sitting on my fat arse in my listening chair... how do I pick which music I want to listen to without getting out of my chair?  Does the Teac HR Remote app running on my idevice control everything?  The PC just looking like a source input to the TEAC?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 11/14/17 at 17:44:18

Quote:
How is this PC "controlled"?  Do I need a monitor, a mouse and a keyboard?  I assume yes.

Is there some "app" that can run on a device that is on the same network as this PC that can control it?

Yes, it is a regular computer and needs Keyboard Monitor Mouse. If you decide to go with Roon, you have an easy way to control it with a smart phone or other computer. I'm going to spend the next week or two working out ways to remote the PC so we can do away with the keyboard, monitor and mouse that hopefully doesn't cost anything. So far, most methods are clunky at best, but it's been a few years since I've looked into it.

Quote:
actually... what I'm asking - is when I'm listening to music stored on this PC... or perhaps an external USB drive attached to it... sitting on my fat arse in my listening chair... how do I pick which music I want to listen to without getting out of my chair?  Does the Teac HR Remote app running on my idevice control everything?  The PC just looking like a source input to the TEAC?

I prefer a wireless keyboard/mouse in this situation. They are good up to 30 feet away, some even further. In my past setups I either used a Logitec keyboard with a built in touchpad (like on a laptop) or I used a laptop to remote into the mini-PC. Again, I'm going to see if any good cheap/free software has come out that will work with current smartphones and make this much easier.

When you use a computer as your streaming source, you no longer need the clunky, hateful Teac software. You just set your Teac to USB, make sure the PC sees the Teac, then queue up your music in Foobar and press play.

Again, the nice thing about paid programs like Roon is that they have integrated the remote control software (App) into the design. But then you're paying $115 or whatever a year for the service, so it better be easy!

My latest iteration will be Windows 10 with Foobar setup to work by just plugging in the USB cable to your DAC, and will also have Roon installed - but you'll have to sign up for the 30 day trial to use Roon.

~Eric~

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 11/19/17 at 17:25:09

So, I was up till 2am last night building PCs for forum members, and I had to reboot after a big Microsoft software update, I turned away for a few seconds to check my phone and when I look up the computer was at the Windows 10 Desktop still.

So, I'm thinking it's late, I must have spaced out and forgotten to restart. So I did it again, and I had to giggle - no, I didn't space out, the computer with an SSD drive is just that damn fast!  So I had to share with a video.

In case that media link doesn't work, here is a direct link.

https://youtu.be/fzcUCXRhe6U

Cheesy

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fzcUCXRhe6U[/youtube]

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 11/26/17 at 02:25:18

Another quick update - I'm shipping out two of these computers on Monday, and was just testing the remote control software that HockessinKid recommended from a thread he read. It works pretty well!

Check out a quick video of it in action on my tablet.

https://youtu.be/5ooHwI-q9jo

I think I recommend a tablet for this since the screen resolution is so high on the computer, but I'm going to try some lower resolution settings and see if i can find a happy medium.  So far these Audiophile PCs are looking and working great!  

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 12/08/17 at 22:37:19

New PC, ready to ship!

Lenovo Tiny Form Factor PC - Intel I5 Processor, 4GB RAM, 240GB SSD, CD-R/DVD Drive, loaded with Windows 10, Roon, Tidal, and Foobar2000 setup for FLAC or DSD $360 shipped to the lower 48.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 12/12/17 at 20:44:26

Just FYI if anyone wanted one of these PCs - I'm shipping two more out tomorrow, then I'm away from home visiting family from the 14th to the 26th. So I won't be able to ship any more till the very end of the year at the earliest.

So if you need one before XMAS, hit me up now and I'll try to built it out tonight!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 01/04/18 at 18:35:27

Final update and I'll be starting a new thread - I'm home from visiting family, all paid for music servers were built and shipped, and I'll be starting a new batch this weekend. Please reach out to me if you have questions or are interested in one. The builds have been well received not only for the Teac users, but from other DAC owners as well! I also have a couple Solid State hard drives in stock, so I'm ready to roll on the next batch!

Thanks again those of you who have purchased the tiny computers from me! I'm really glad to be able to contribute to the audio community in this small way.

deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/04/18 at 19:16:16

LR, I finally hooked up your PC over the holidays. This thing boots up in a few seconds. No issues at all. I don't have the TEAC yet so just using my old DAC. I am also using a wireless keyboard and touch pad in one. Its a perfect combo for my music. I also picked up a 1TB solid state drive that I put in a portable case and put all my music on it. This thing is quiet, fast and plays perfectly. Thanks for setting this up for us.
If anyone is on the fence about getting this, just get it. It works perfectly, is quiet and I like the fact that it is small and can be hidden if you don't want to see it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 01/04/18 at 20:31:12

Great news! I'm glad to hear you like it.
Yeah, I'm picky about my hardware - so I knew you'd like it too.   Smiley

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #16 - 01/31/18 at 20:39:35

Quote:
Final update and I'll be starting a new thread - I'm home from visiting family, all paid for music servers were built and shipped, and I'll be starting a new batch this weekend. Please reach out to me if you have questions or are interested in one. The builds have been well received not only for the Teac users, but from other DAC owners as well! I also have a couple Solid State hard drives in stock, so I'm ready to roll on the next batch!

Is there a new thread somewhere - I looked, but didn't find one.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 01/31/18 at 22:04:39

I did have one, but I'm not seeing it now...odd.  Maybe I accidentally deleted it rather than this one.

I'll post another one in the next day or two. I have PCs and SSD drives ready for a new home. I'm even working on a budget laptop version for a local audiophile that's going to be used in a second system. I'm really enjoying doing these builds and honestly starting to be concerned about running out of the off lease PCs to build into audio systems!

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/02/18 at 09:55:54

Hey LR ~ my Asus VivoPC with it's Atom Processor is getting a little long in the tooth and looking to upgrade soon.

Will the i5 do 4K video?  What is the form factor of the case, is it bigger than a NUC?  The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to use a nicer aluminum fanless case like a Streacom or Akasa case.  

Basically I'm just looking for the internals mb/i5 or i7 processor/8 GB ram/ssd with USB 3.0 and HDMI ports.  I don't actually need an optical drive either.  I also just need windows 10 pro and no other software installations or tweaks (I'll set up JRiver myself).

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 02/06/18 at 17:57:54

Most of the tiny form factor PCs are somewhat, if not completely proprietary in format. I don't think there is much from this that would transfer over to a new case.

As for i5 being able to do 4k - that's typically depending on the video card of the system. The intel chips have basic video output, and I believe can do 4k. Any (modern) aftermarket or onboard video should be able to handle 4k as well. These tiny form factor PCs have Display Port, which is a higher end connection than HDMI.  

I haven't tested 4k on these machines, but I do have a 32" 4k gaming monitor on my main system that I believe does Display Port. I'll see if I can run some 4k videos from the TFF PC to my gaming monitor and see how it looks!

~Eric~

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/07/18 at 01:31:22

Thanks for the response LR ... yeah I'm thinking this is going to have to be a from scratch build.  

I have found out that the later i5 and i7 CPU's can indeed due 4K and h265 video.  That said, it may be better to have an add on video card as it will reduce power consumption of the CPU which in turn will reduce heat and since I want to build a fanless PC it needs to stay fairly cool in there.  I'm going to try it with just the CPU first and then an add on GPU if it gets too hot.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 02/07/18 at 15:32:02

That sounds like a good plan.

Also, plan ahead, you may need a specific format of video card to fit whatever system you build. It might be a half-slot or limited depth or something.

Philco
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 03/12/18 at 04:39:48

LR,

I am in need of one of your PC solutions. I need to jump into Roon too. Sounds like your solution is just what I need.

Im new to Foobar, and love it thus far. Now it's time to go more in with a dedicated PC solution and get off my home Dell.

And yes, I'm windows, not Mac. However, IPads and iPhone otherwise.

PC

SE84UFO
Schiit Gumby DAC
Klipsch Chorus 1's

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 03/13/18 at 15:00:22

I just saw your E-mail, and responding there!

Welcome to the forums!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print