03/29/24 at 10:18:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 height (Read 5858 times)
jimmieg
Ex Member

ZP3 height
10/25/17 at 17:41:45

I am considering a ZP3 but only have 8" of space between shelves on my rack. Is there a practical way to make it fit without degrading performance?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: ZP3 height
Reply #1 - 10/25/17 at 17:52:44

That is not a lot of room.  You will want to isolate the ZP3 which will add additional height.  Also, you will need some clearance between the rectifier and the shelf above, due to heat considerations. Im not familiar with dimensions of various rectifier tube types, but that tube is the tallest point of the ZP3.  You may be able to find a shorter rectifier and can remove the stock feet, but you would sacrifice isolation and depending on the material of the shelf above, the heat could damage it over time.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/25/17 at 19:42:39

Maybe I could use a different tube, and put some foil on the bottom of the shelf above....?

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #3 - 10/25/17 at 19:48:33

Heat is your enemy. While the foil would deflect some of the heat from the shelf above, it will not allow all of the heat emanating from the tubes and such to dissipate much. A small fan to move air would be a great help, as long as there is plenty of space around the ZP3 to move the heated air away.

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/25/17 at 19:58:55

I agree that the heat is problematic there and it's really a location that would not be recommended. See if you can fit it somewhere on top of a shelf where there's no restriction. . .I know the pain. . .I have a hard time fitting all I want to comfortably on two racks!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/26/17 at 18:05:35

I guess I could put it on the top shelf and my turntable on the second shelf.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/26/17 at 19:20:32

With tonearm cables being so long, typically 1- 1.5 mtrs, there`s plenty of scope. It`s as if they want you to put distance in between TT and phono.
My ZP3 is 4ft from the TT.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print