Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:56:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZMA hums with Power Regenerator (Read 1150 times)
NormD
Seasoned Member

ZMA hums with Power Regenerator
09/17/17 at 21:31:41

I love my ZMA and I'm always looking for ways to get the most out of it and he rest of my system. A Power Plant Premium (PPP) power regenerator from PS Audio was recommended to me and I picked one up used. But the ZMA hums mechanically when it is plugged into the PPP. The hum seems to be coming from the transformers or the capacitors. There is no hum coming through the speakers. This tells me the ZMA is not happy and I stopped using the PPP.

Anyone else have this experience or use a power regenerator?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZMA hums with Power Regenerator
Reply #1 - 09/17/17 at 21:54:42

I had a P300, then a Power Plant Premier, then a P5 and now a P10. I love them! I honestly have never had a hum or vibration transformer problem with either of them. Does this happen with any other components, or only the ZMA. The Premier may be the culprit.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/17 at 00:05:44

Thanks, Lon!

Good to know that you are not having problems. Are you doing anything special with grounding?  What power cords are you using for the ZMA and Power Plant? Any suggestions on what to look for to fix my hum? I'm calling PS Audio tomorrow.

Where is a good place to get a P5?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/18/17 at 00:16:35

I would buy directly from PS Audio. They will let you trade in the PPP toward a new model to save money, and you might get more that what you paid for it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/18/17 at 00:48:13

Norm, I don't have a ZMA, I have a Torii Mk III. I am using a PS Audio AC-12 power cord, in fact all my power cords are AC-12s. I'm not doing anything special with grounding, just plugging the power cord into the (admittedly nice) wall outlet and then into the regenerator.

I do recommend calling PS Audio and asking them about the hum and also asking them about trade ins towards a newer regenerator. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/18/17 at 00:54:59

Lon:

Thanks.  I'll call them tomorrow.  Do you hear an appreciable improvement with the Regenerator?  How so?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 09/18/17 at 02:45:50

I've talked about these a lot on these pages of the forum. I like them and find that they imp rove most every aspect. I especially like the diminution of noise, the silences are black and this improves both dynamics and tonal details, and I like the sense of a "strong foundation" and even headroom that I get with the regenerators.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #7 - 09/18/17 at 05:48:19

I do not have the Power Plant Premium, but I do have a P10 and ZMA.  I get no hum from the ZMA as you have described.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 09/18/17 at 17:20:12

Having had a few PA Audio units, I can say that the ZMA may well need to have the PS Audio Premiere set at a different program. I forget what it has to offer, but the sine wave setting may need to be set differently. Sorry for the vague description here, but suffice it to say that the problem may be solved by means of the PPP output.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 09/18/17 at 17:28:27

Don't believe there is any such setting on the Premier. Though one person on the PS Audio forum says there is a setting on the bottom of the unit that allows you to adjust the readout of the metering of the input voltage and output voltage, but I don't see how that would help.

Norm, I think a call to the tech support at PS Audio is the best bet. And as I said on their forum: Lonely Raven reports that with the P10 he hears little to no improvement with the ZMA plugged in. Do you hear any sonic improvement with it plugged into the PPP? If little to no, perhaps just use the PPP for all other components. . .

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 09/20/17 at 15:31:13

I don't know if it has anything to do with this issue, but I'm pretty sure I recall the PPP is a balanced output design, and honestly, I thought it sounded really good, especially on smaller amps. My guess is that something is not quite right with your PPP - definitely give PS Audio a call and see if they can come up with a solution.

All that said, since the ZMA has those large caps, they do a lot of the noise filtering that the Power Regenerators are known for. I have the P10, and honestly, with the ZMA I hear very little to no difference. I heard a bigger improvement running a dedicated 10AWG wired outlet directly from my circuit panel to my dedicated 20amp typical hospital grade outlet.  However, I do hear improvements on every other amp and component in the system with the P10.

If your PPP needs any repairs or updates - I too would consider trading it in on a P5 if possible.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/20/17 at 15:55:53

Thanks for the perspective. I took the advise and traded in the PPP on a P5 and PS Audio was very accommodating. The PPP seller refuses to accept the test results that indicate that the PPP he sold me has problems, so I didn't have a lot of choice. I did not want to pour any money into an obsolete component. PSA was perplexed with my diagnostics, so the PPP is headed to PSA for diagnostics so I can try and get a claim from him. I refuse to use the defective PPP in my system.

When I get my new P5 Friday, my first test will be with the ZMA. Lon mentioned that you saw no improvement and that is my expectation considering the beefy power supply of the ZMA. I'll let you know my assessment.

My next tests will be with the ZTPre, Manley Chinook and my OPPO SDAC. I'm not expecting big improvements since all these devices have good power supplies, so I hope I am surprised and delighted. Anyone with experiences with these components?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print