Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 06:21:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on HR-1 upgrades (Read 1234 times)
fred
Verified Member

Question on HR-1 upgrades
09/04/17 at 22:47:30

Guys,

I have read that some of you are using resistors on your HR-1, i am assuming the are installed  as cross over on the tweeter. that being said, is this something that Steve will do? or is this something i will have to do?

Is this a recommended  upgrade that makes since for all types of rooms and listening preferences?

I thank you in advanced.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Question on HR-1 upgrades
Reply #1 - 09/05/17 at 00:07:14

Fred, there will be at least one resistor installed on the HR-1 and perhaps Steve/Bob will include another one of a different value. The resistor attenuates the output of the tweeter. Most users seem to use between 1 and 10 ohm values; I'm an oddball because I use between 20 and 50. The basic ones are cheap, and you can buy expensive ones that I think are worth it, but only when you've found the right value for your room/system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/05/17 at 00:13:32

Thanks Lon, I appreciate the explanation. how hard is it to swap them out?  how do i determine what resistance is needed for my particular room ?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/05/17 at 00:19:49

Very easy to swap out, the leads just screw onto the binding posts for speaker wire, going from a bottom post to a top post.

When you have one value going you'll determine if you want more, or less treble output, or if like Goldilock's porridge the one installed is "just right." If you need less treble output, use a higher value resistor; if you need more treble output, use a lower value reistor. A call to Steve may help determine what to have first installed, he could likely help if he has information about your system, room, material, and "frequency balance taste". . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/05/17 at 00:29:11

Lon, Thank you again, I will likely call Steve tomorrow and place the order for the HR-1s. Ill take some pictures of my setup once is here,

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/05/17 at 00:31:42

Awesome, I'm glad you are ordering a pair.  I enjoy my HR-1s thoroughly nearly every day. . . they are the speakers that stopped me looking for speakers.

IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/05/17 at 00:54:19

I am hoping this system is the system that makes me stop searching, have a set of B&W 800 and CM10 S2 as well as a few others and while i love putting together new systems, I just want to listen to music without having to think of the next addition or replacement.

IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/05/17 at 00:58:23

so my system should look like this
BluSound Node2 DAC, VPI Prime TT, ZP3, CP3, ZROC, silver pills, ZMA and HR-1. all hooked up using a 20 year old role of 22 gauge monster cable, Just kidding, using a multitude of cables that i have collected over the years

IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/06/17 at 02:42:10

HR-1 on order Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/08/17 at 00:19:33

Fred,
Having seen the ERR speakers set up this way, I asked Bob to make my HR-1s so I could change resistors and caps on the outside using binding posts.... I love this option, being able to pretty easily roll caps and resistors. A thought anyway.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print