03/28/24 at 13:50:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Jr. Exposed! (Read 9673 times)
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Torii Jr. Exposed!
08/05/17 at 21:42:55

For those curious about the interior of the Torii Jr. - feast your eyes and take in the artisanal craftsmanship of High Fidelity Engineering.

Torii_Jr__Interior.jpg

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Torii Jr. Exposed!
Reply #1 - 08/05/17 at 21:52:14

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Samsdad
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/13/18 at 14:03:05

Very interesting. I wonder what that circuit-board looking object is? It appears to be under the rectifier socket. And it has three fuses from what I can tell. I wonder if anyone has replaced those fuses with audiophile versions... By the way, does anyone know if Steve has ever opined on audiophile fuses (whether they make a difference or whether it is placebo-effect)?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 01/13/18 at 16:52:59

It's like looking at the Mona Lisa....pure art to the eyes and ears. Thanks Team Decware.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Loplop
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/25/18 at 17:45:35

Fantastic wiring.  I heart PtP!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/25/18 at 21:14:56

Yeah never saw this...made me feel content. Immediately the poem Scaffolding by Seamus Heaney comes to mind.

JD

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/28/18 at 20:53:23

Samsdad, you are correct. That holds the 3 interior fuses. I had to replace one of them recently - which gave me the opportunity to take the photo while everything was opened up. Steve recommended a standard fuse - no audiophile version needed.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Samsdad
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/30/18 at 23:12:33

Hey Tommy, do you recall the size of the fuses and the ratings? I’d like to have some on hand just in case.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 02/01/18 at 05:40:04

The small green board you see is a fuse holder that is directly soldered to the tube socket pins of the rectifier tube.  It has three fuses.  Two are 500 mA fuses that protect each leg of the high voltage against shorts inside the rectifier tube. Additionally there is another fuse protecting the heater windings for the rectifier rated at 6.3 amps.

These fuses protect the power transformer and the filter caps from any damage resulting from a shorting rectifier tube. Since there are several ways a rectifier tube can short we incorporated three fuses. Today where rectifier tubes are made in China, Russia, and Yugoslavia you are going to have shorts. Also since new many (NOS) new old stock tubes have been trading hands for in some cases over 60 years, they have been vibrated and beaten around to a point where many of them are more prone to shorting then when they were new, even though they have never been used.

If you are an avid tube roller, you are eventually going to blow one of these fuses. When it happens, be glad it did because without the fuses the power transformer and possibly the filter caps could have been damaged before the mains fuse had a chance to blow.

I use regular fuses in these, but there is no reason audiophile fuses that are not fakes shouldn't sound better.  The thing with audiophile fuses you have to be careful of is that your spending $70 (for example) on something that is designed to blow up.  My advise is do all your tube rolling with regular fuses until you find that one special rectifier tube that you can't live without and then if you want to use audiophile fuses that aren't fakes, by all means do so.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print