Send Topic Print
Wireless Anyone? (Read 8983 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Wireless Anyone?
07/09/17 at 04:21:07

As much as I might resist, the idea of GOOD wireless headphones would be of interest to me in certain applications, but then when I look for a decent pair, a pile of junk is out there. Does anyone here have suggestions for good quality and very good sounding wireless phones? Sennheiser comes to mind, should run into an extra $300.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Wireless Anyone?
Reply #1 - 07/10/17 at 04:22:42

4K, I think your research results is telling.  Wireless will disappoint.  But, depending on your intent and their application, that SQ sacrifice may make sense.  But, like you, I have not seen or heard anything that would be worth spending $100 on, let alone $300.  

Is this for travel, outdoor activities, or?  You looking for in ear, or over ear?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 07/11/17 at 22:41:09

Hey Jeff,

Good to hear from you. Well, I have the notion of a bit of freedom while listening to music around the house. FWIW, I have found a pair of Sennheiser phones that are wireless. Model 'Momentum 2.0'.... Retail is at $500, but I found a used pair for about $180. It's real tongue in check for me, and since they are over ear, closed back,blue tooth device, time will tell. First off, I don't even know if my computer supports Blue Tooth, so that may be hurdle #1.
In the meantime, I have made a headphone hook for just such an occasion.

P7120004.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 08/02/17 at 23:12:06

Just a thought here. The freedom from being tethered to phones is attractive. Now only if the sound were also attractive. That being said, these new cans do serve a purpose now and then. Maybe hi-res files?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 08/03/17 at 04:40:22

The way I deal with it is to use the battery operated "Zen-Head / headphone amplifier" piggybacked with an iPod or smartphone playing uncompressed files, or streaming or whatever I want.

This is a high fidelity approach to wireless.

The first time I tried this, was here in the shop and I was playing some good music and admiring the sonics, thinking how good it was, how close to the tubes it was, and then since the whole rig was in my shirt pocket, I walked outside while the music was playing and I have to say it was weird. The sound quality of the listening room just went right outside with me, and it seemed to defy reality. It definitely bent my brain a little bit.

The problem with wireless or bluetooth is both range and bandwidth. The bluetooth as I understand it is only 256 kBps. I find that 320 is far better sounding or even better is no compression (1144) or even better still is high res files. You would be surprised how good a 24 bit high res download can sound on a battery operated iPod or similar digital player when hooked to the battery operated headphone amplifier... makes you realize that there is no such thing as grain in music or good recordings... grain is an artifact of AC power and power grid harmonics.  Battery Operated Burr Brown Op Amps is the best solid state sound for analog lovers so that is what makes up the Zen Head (model ZH1) headphone amplifier.  A single 9 volt battery lasts up to 50 hours depending on volume.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenhead.htm

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 08/03/17 at 07:26:38

+1.  Ive got a ZenHead and it does as Steve describes.  I love that little black box.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 08/03/17 at 17:23:50

What a great thought, as I am listening right now to computer audio for the first time ever. The thinking then, is this  acceptable if I could make it portable? I have a little battery powered Xenos amp that is surprisingly good, but have never owned a cell phone of any kind. Is there yet another alternative for some sort of source to supply audio to the amp?
The bluetooth sound is ok, but only ok. Listening to flac computer files is quite a step up, but still pretty SS sounding.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 08/28/17 at 19:07:59

For my purposes, the Momentum 2.0 phones are good for watching TV and that is where they will likely stay. I will look for other ways to accomplish great wireless sound, such as the one Steve recommended. Don't own any kind cell phone though, so maybe a tablet something.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print