03/28/24 at 12:08:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ok ready to start... (Read 7434 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

ok ready to start...
05/07/17 at 14:38:21

think i am to the point i need to start working on my room.

what do you all think for starting point and incremental steps?

i know nothing about sound treatment...

it's a basement 15x20x8.

i am guessing removing the picture frames from the walls would be first order.

20170507_082344_001.jpg

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: ok ready to start...
Reply #1 - 05/07/17 at 17:41:30

Best to start with Bass Traps in the corners behind speakers. GIK makes some nice ones (4' tall) that you can stack..or go DIY. And, perhaps triangular traps up in the ceiling corners.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 05/07/17 at 18:00:05

Trip,
I am in the same spot as you.  I actually just placed and order with GIK for my Phase 1 setup.  They have a form you can fill out and provide images of your room.  With that info, an acoustician will reach out to you with what he recommends for your room.  Great advice, and very helpful.  My rep was Bryan Pape who is apparently their Lead guru.  Although he was having a bad day when I spoke with him on the phone, so he didn't have the best attitude, but was helpful nonetheless.  Worth filling out their room advice form and seeing what they say.  Their stuff looks nice and is pretty reasonably priced.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/07/17 at 23:41:02

alright i'll take a look at those.  thks for the input guys!!

i am way behind the curve wrt room treatments.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #4 - 05/08/17 at 01:14:29

There are some basic things that will help right away. With that said you need to measure your rooms frequency response. Download REW. It is a free program..
You need to know what needs to be fixed before you start adding treatment.
Your room is very close to mine. mine is 14 x 19 x 8. You will be very surprised to see just how far from "flat" your room really is. REW will aid you in getting your speaker located in the correct spot for bass and integration with your main speakers​. Plus a lot more.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/17 at 15:07:11

jpv

makes sense.

i have REW and a dayton umm6 mic.
what are the basics for measuring room modes?  (i.e. what kinda signal, mic position, what tool used to analze it...)
or a good link to study?

sorry i am a beginner.

thks

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #6 - 05/08/17 at 20:14:31

Go to the The home theater shack web site. There is tons of info there to read.
  I can guide you thru the procedure and look at your data. REW has a steep learning curve. Basically after you have the program set up, your computer will be connected to your stereo. You run a freq. sweep and you review your data. REW will show you the response in Db., spectrogram to see how long freq are lasting, RT60, RT30, ETC data, etc...
Put your umm6 mc where you sit. ( be sure to mark the spot so you can go back and run more test and repeat ).

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 05/10/17 at 19:21:51

REW is awesome - lets you *see* things to confirm what you're hearing. It's tough to get into it though. I've not used it in years and have forgotten almost all of it. You'll find threads on how to use it, and there are many forum goers who know it well and can help your interpret your findings.

You'll need a computer of some sort to plug that mic into, the program, and a way to send sound from the computer out to your system. The computer sends the test tones to your system, and the mic picks it up and displays what it hears, and compares it to what was sent. From there it's all about reading the measurements and deciding what to change, making the change, then retest and prove the results.

In the mean time, you can try to mitigate as many issues as you can.

Get as much stuff out of the room as possible.

Make sure everything is balanced left to right (I use measuring tape and lasers)

Make sure speaker and seating placement are the best you can do (REW will also help with this later)

Just do your best with what you have as you learn. IMHO, you can throw diffusers in there and they will only help, but absorbers aren't the same thing since they are only subtractive. For example, let's say you've got a big dip at 250hz, and you add a whole bunch of bass traps, and they cover that same frequency...you could take a 20db dip and make it a 26db dip!!  Instead, mitigate that as best as you can with speaker and seating placement (since you can't really/easily change the dimensions of the room!) using REW to guide you, *then* bring in absorbers as needed.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print