03/29/24 at 02:21:23 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tekton Double Impact (Read 10107 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Tekton Double Impact
02/10/17 at 21:16:32

Another high efficiency design 4 Ohms @ 98.82dB (2.83v @ 1 meter).  

Is this pretty strong hyperbole? Or can this be the "obsolescence" of all other speakers? Shocked

Our revolutionary U.S. patent #9247339 (issued January 26th, 2016) allows us to literally align the moving mass of speaker cones to the harmonic spectra of the musical instruments being played. This means that, in theory, we’ve now made every other high fidelity loudspeaker on earth obsolete in one fell swoop! Again, I believe I can make a strong case for claiming that every other high fidelity loudspeaker is now obsolete or (for models that do try to mitigate moving mass) at least subtly obsolete. I’m quite confident in stating that we’re now producing the most accurate and best sounding loudspeakers ever built – period!

7 tweeters, 2 6" mid-range transducers and 2 10" Pendragon Transducers for $3000.   Hmm, you have basically 11 drivers, in a fairly big speaker cabinet for 3k.  I'm not complaining about the price, but it kind of makes me question the quality of drivers that are being used.  I'd love to hear them though! Smiley

Upcoming review by Terry London:

“Eric had communicated with me his excitement/joy for the last year and a half regarding his new revolutionary speaker design, he was waiting for his U.S. patent to be approved, that he was starting to build into his speaker models. He sent me for review a pair of standard Double Impacts, $3,000.00, and I have to share that with first listening session I was patently shocked at the performance of this speaker! The Double Impact Speakers were not just great for the money or price point, they are world class reference level speakers, regardless of price! I have had as my reference speaker for over five years a highly regarded $19,000.00 transducer that was outperformed by the Double Impacts in all important sonic parameters. The Double Impact Speakers are amazing at creating the illusion of real music with all the purity of the colors of instruments, space/air, and the “pop” and dynamics that you find in live music.”  -Terry London

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: Tekton Double Impact
Reply #1 - 02/11/17 at 00:25:02

Hmmm. Would love to give 'em a listen. Then work on trading in my current tektons if all is good!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #2 - 02/11/17 at 01:55:32

I'd like to hear them too.  But in the interest in balancing out some of the hyperbole, here's some interesting banter regarding his patent regarding use of low moving mass drivers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146174.0

Eric Alexander seems to generate more than his fair share of skepticism.  I read the whole patent and struggled to understand definitively what it is he's patented.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they sound great.

Rob

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 02/11/17 at 15:01:22

Bright an nasty, bombastic, with no room treatment as usual. Yick, and way to many Tweeter's. But hey, they probably sound good with all of four audiophile recordings.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/11/17 at 19:12:21

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146174.0

Looking at the first post, didn't Donnie do this with his open baffle/double driver speakers?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 02/11/17 at 22:08:55

Archie,
From how I read it, my speakers are similar but not quite the same. My OB's baffles are around 6" apart.
My design isn't based on any science other than looking at other peoples designs and stealing ideas.
The funny thing is that these things sound pretty dog gone good. I'd rather be lucky than good.
Here is a view of how I have the drivers mounted.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/17 at 00:56:48

Intuitive designing is an Art!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 02/12/17 at 05:39:30

I gotta tell you, making your own is always more fun. The results are mostly surprisingly good as well.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/27/17 at 23:39:16

If I was ambitious, I would go to the Chicago Audio Society meeting next month and hear these.  I think it is actually over in Munster Indiana though.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/22/17 at 07:22:34

Bumped this up for a glowing review from Home Theater Review.  According to the author, the $3000 Tekton Double Impacts bested the (1) Lawrence Audio Cello Speakers @ $18,000, (2) Acoustic Zen Crescendo Mk2 @ $22,000 and (3) YG Acoustics Carmel 2 @ $24,300 to become the author's reference speakers to which all others will be judged upon! Shocked

Downsides were "overwhelming in physical appearance. With its ability to produce thunderous, deep, and powerful bass frequencies, it could overload a small room sonically"

Tekton Design Double Impact Floorstanding Speaker Reviewed

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/22/17 at 13:10:08

my buddy just got a pair of these last week.  he has a pair of the  tekton cinema subs too.

i haven't stopped by to listen to them yet, but will soon and report back.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 03/22/17 at 22:00:17

I saw that review, but was too busy with this work thing to read more than a paragraph into it.

I'd love to hear what you think once you get a listen to them! Very interesting concept!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 03/23/17 at 18:00:35

Okay, what I said in my reply #3 was a bit harsh. However, Room treatment is needed in ALL Rooms, IMO.

I just got off the phone with Eric Alexander.

I ordered the Impact!
http://www.tektondesign.com/tektonimpact.html

He told me you are getting the Double Impact signature (U.S. patent #9247339) with less parts.

I love the black/soft gloss finish and wanted to enjoy them for 60 days and hear and see what I think?!  

I have tried higher efficiency before with Zu Unions (8 ohm). They did not float my boat. However, never say never and time I try again with The Tekton IMPACT.

Eric, said he will get them on the road to me in 2 or 3 days/painting me up a fresh pair.  Sweet!

Let the Battle Rounds begin late next week:

Modified Adagio's vs. Impacts.......... .

Well, I need to burn them in for 100 hours first......... .

I also have Kimber 8TC new jacket/which might be a better fit vs. my Kimber KS6063.....but, I might be surprised?!

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's/Cryogenic, in my A12 an B12 Input positions~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps.

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13 - 03/23/17 at 18:16:13

Hey Stone...definitely share your thoughts on the Tektons.
P.S. Tekton also makes it in a smaller design for smaller rooms.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 03/23/17 at 18:19:34

Ahhh yes, that is why I bought the Impact and not the Double Impact.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin

Who knows? Maybe, I sell my Modified Adagio's. I kept the original x-over's to retrofit them back for the layman purchaser.   Cheesy

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 03/24/17 at 14:05:37

Yeah Acetone, I'm excited to get these. It will be interesting to hear where the ring radiator's are crossed, for their part in the midrange, into > the 6 inch driver. Plus, this whole low/light mass cohesion among the Driver's. They sure look like light fast low mass driver's....... .
http://www.tektondesign.com/images/impactbig.jpg

I have no problem with having the original x-over's put back in my AZ Adagio's and listing them on AgoN......at a price to sell. With the modded caps in my Adagio's....they are at 92 or 93 at one watt and I love um.  However, I would love for the Impact's to dethrone them and I could run a UFO Zen too.  Time will tell....... .

I had 13 Pair of Speaker's through 2015 (from over the years). Sold a bunch of Gear and Speaks' that year - I only have 3 pair now. Time to bring the Tekton's in.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/24/17 at 23:13:36

A fellow on Audiogon "Mac" has the Double Impacts and uses a Torii MKIV. He absolutely loves them but says don't be fooled by the efficiency rating. They are a little harder to drive than you would think.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/25/17 at 01:52:11

If a Tori mk4 has difficulty driving them, they can't be rated correctly, can they?

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/25/17 at 02:23:28

... and should be cool to compare to pair of Alnico HO from Omega I'm listening to. If on the right side of 3k they would be a nice comparison

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 03/25/17 at 16:35:21

Reviewing things about this Speaker.....it is a three way design and you chew up some watts in his x-over design. So, I can see it....no little UFO for my Impacts or Torii's. My ZMA should do fine.

60 days is a fair accommodation. I'll figure out if I'm keeping them in 45.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/26/17 at 15:42:55

Tekton seems to overstate their sensitivity ratings.  Stereophile measured the Enzo's at 6 do less than Tektons rating.  That's pretty significant.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 03/26/17 at 18:44:44

Fortunately, I will have the power to run my Impacts with my ZMA. More so than a Torii IV, that is getting the job done for Mac. Plus,  I'm getting the Impact. Double Impact is overkill for me.

I like Terry London's knowledge of the Acoustic Zen Timbre and Tone. However, the increased transient speed and aliveness of the Impacts is more palpable. I helped my Acoustic Zen Adagio's achieve the more sense of aliveness with the mod I had done/single caps, etc.... .

I look forward to my comparisons.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 03/28/17 at 16:54:56

I just got off the phone with Eric Alexander and my IMPACTS ship today! Whatever x-over magic he is mojo working in the Double Impact ~ is in my smaller Impact too. This guy knows how to work a Tweeter array (read the AgoN Thread on the D-Impacts) and tonal balance the collective with un-etched detail. As stated in the AgoN thread....they an I, can let marketing hyperbole go.....when the Speaker has sonic merit. It only matter's how it sounds.

Smaller, well as compared to the Doubles, yes. My Impacts are still 47 inches tall and weigh in at 71 pounds each. Nice wt. to move around myself. My Adagio's come in at 78 pounds each and are easy to navigate.

Anyway hope to have something to say about them soon. I will use the 8 ohm taps first on my ZMA for break in and then the 4 ohm taps.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #23 - 03/28/17 at 17:10:45

S o Tone, Enjoy the process. I hope the Impacts are everything they say they are.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 03/28/17 at 17:29:11

Hi Ace. Always a risk. However, I am pleased with the impressions of the 2 and 3 owner's on the AgoN Double Impact/Thread. Plus, Terry London's response and input on the Thread as well.

Now, I am getting the Impacts and not the DI's....I have high hopes for them though.

As one poster stated/whom ordered a pair of DI's: "He/I have spent 300 bucks on worse things over 60 days."
(Referring to the cost of shipping them back~if he does not like them. It would be more like 220 to 250 for me from here to Orem with my lighter wt./size Impacts).

However, I did not order them to return them. Only, if I decide to upgrade to the DI's! Damn my room size.....I'll move it downstairs.  8-)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 03/28/17 at 17:45:24

Stone, don't forget to post some photos after you unbox them!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 03/28/17 at 18:24:12

Hi Tommy. You know I think it is about time I figure out how to post pic's here. My quote function here on the forum does not work at all, but that is no bother to me.

Anyway, I wish it was as easy here to post pic's as it is on AudiogoN. I'm sure I can figure it out.
I think someone/someone's have posted the steps.....to a photo-bucket then.....etc... .

Always plan B > you can PM me your number and I will gladly text you pic's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #27 - 03/29/17 at 18:26:13

They arrive on Friday!  Kid in a candy store am I........ .   Grin Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/29/17 at 18:48:54

Perfect time for a 3-day weekend!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #29 - 03/31/17 at 16:19:16

I've heard several different pairs of Tekton's - they were all competent designs and at least "good".  I would expect the Impacts to be nothing less.  However, like others have stated, I have found their stated efficiencies to be a bit optimistic.  I have also come to learn, from personal experience, that crossovers "eat power" like a hog eats slop... and crossovers suck life and dynamics out of the music as well.  Even the best passive parts you can buy to build the crossover with, will still do this to some extent.  No crossover = best crossover, just like the best insulation on your wires is no insulation at all - air.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #30 - 04/01/17 at 14:34:14

IMPACT's in the house!

Okay, got them and despite a stomach flu Thursday night into yesterday.....I recovered enough to unpack them and carry the beautiful beasts into my Listening Room.

Packaging was A++ and a cool way of opening the carton's.
Perfectly fit/finished/flawless they both are.
Driver's and Tweeter's are stunning to look at and top notch installation.

Hooked up/fired up. First 1.5 hour's roughly, they were getting the cobb webs out of the caps, wiring and driver's..... .

The next hour got interesting.....they started to bloom and focus locked in with images. Tonal balance is spot on, allowing detail not to be tainted by the very taunt and delineated bass...... . Soundstage superb. Timbre/Tone were shinning through in this hour too. With further burn in, their might be no need to upgrade to Mundorf Mcap Supremes.....time will tell.

I had to shut down at 2.5 hours. Whatever, mojo Eric has going in this Tweeter array fine tuned to the other Driver's......I like it! More efficient too, only slightly over my modified Adagio's.....judging by the gain needed on my ZMA knob.....but welcomed.

All I have for now. Can't listen today.....I'm off to work.  :'( Cry Tomorrow, I look forward to putting 6 to 8 more hours on them.

PS, and of course, you know I had to go there....and get some extra SPL's out of them....before I had to shut down yesterday (damn prior agreed commitments). Oh yeah, they can go there...so can my Adagio's.....but these guys can go nuclear colossal/.....so an fitting name ~ Impact!

Listening Room:

{Extremely Significant}

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

~BIASED at *56* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's/Cryogenic, in my A12 an B12 Input positions~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's)

Tekton Impact Loudspeaker

(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

From Cryoset:

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #31 - 04/02/17 at 17:01:24

Sorry, whizzer coner's. The Impact Series from Tekton Design is an whole other level.

The delicate minimalist x-over points in this 3 way, are spot on and coherent and efficient. The decay of instruments is superb with ambiance with detail.....yet, all the impact and texture of the respective instruments comes beautifully through.

I am far from having these guys burned in and also looking forward to the comparison to my Mundorf Mcap/Adagio's texture ability to differentiate NOS input tubes.  But, as it stands listening right now to my Impacts.....they are going to be up to the task.

Soundstage is bigger and better than the Adagio's. Acoustic treatment is important folks. The basic's will get you 8 or 9/10th's of the law. Palomino's efforts are to be admired/and you know it sounds good with his treatments.

Enough for now, Marcus Miller M2.....beken's for my full attention from these wonderful Impact's.

PS-not even tempted to try the 4 ohm/ZMA taps yet........... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 04/02/17 at 17:52:07

Modifying my Acoustic Zen Adagio's (like my Parker Crusader's were wired)....brought a next level of aliveness. However, the aliveness Terry London refers to.....is apparent even more next level in the Impacts.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #33 - 04/02/17 at 18:16:18

Nice to already know, I won't be sending these back or selling my modified Adagio's. Two pair in the Listening Room Stable.

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps.

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

&

Tekton Design Impact - Black Soft Gloss

Potentially Pending, Mundorf  MCap Supremes - NOT touching the wonderful x-over points. ONLY, putting equal value matched Caps/replacing current ones. Eric, offers an upgrade..... But, I will have done here with a local house call (saving time and shipping $$ to and from).
.....resistors and inductors too ~ if merited.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/02/17 at 23:27:28

Tekton Double Impact @ 98.82 dB 2.83V @1 meter sensitivity and 4 ohms, is 95.82 dB 1 watt @ 1 meter.  I think this makes sense given what Stone is hearing in loudness vs. his modded Zen Adagios.  

Feel free to school me if I'm off on this one.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 04/03/17 at 01:12:18

I'm less than that at 97db @ 2.83v for my Impact.

Anyway, my ZMA drives my Adagio's and Impact awesomely.

Those on the www......reading this Thread....I would not take the time to write about these speakers read: they are good.....I need to upgrade to the Mundorfs....cause I'm running Kimber Select IC's and Speaker Kable..... And the Zen Mystery Amplifier .... So I hear a difference and their is a difference.

You? These Speakers are damn good stock...... Get a Pair.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #36 - 04/03/17 at 17:15:47

Moving into my 14th hour (Forum follower's and www./readers)
on them this morning (just a reminder/I have the Impact.....not Double I's).

................they continue to open up! Timbre shading and coherence just keeps getting better (they are plenty worthy of running on my KS6063 Speaker Kables). Questioning, if I will be upgrading the Caps! Sensitivity efficiency is perfect with my ZMA and as previously mentioned/slightly more so than my modded' Adagio's.

I ran my Kimber 8TC on the 4ohm and 8ohm taps of my ZMA yesterday. I prefer the 8ohm taps (...I will revisit with more hours on them). Kimber 8TC is wonderful with these Speakers and gets 7/10th's of the law compared to my KS6063. So, recommended.

Anyway, you can tell I am pleased with these Speaker's. I won't challenge them with my modified Adagio's until I put 50 hours on them by mid next week.

Okay, I'm going to chill on my first 15 hours with these Impact's. I will put an estimated additional 25 hours on them by this Sunday and come back.............. .

Listening Room:

{Extremely Significant}

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~ .75 meter

~BIASED at *56* mA~

Tekton Design Impact Loudspeaker

From Cryoset:

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 04/06/17 at 17:56:54

Said I was going to wait until Sunday to comment. However, with only 22 hours now on my Impact Speakers.....the treble has settled down (no longer worried at all) and the timbre has improved to beautifully live sounding and accurate and detailed. Man, I mean musical and balanced detail locking into the images and improving the soundstage over my Adagio's in depth and equaling their broadness across the front. These certainly must share its big brother DI's attributes, written about.

I did put my Adagio's back in yesterday for a spell to confirm what I'm saying above. My modded' Adagio's are detailed without being etched, as are now the Impact with 22 hours on them (and counting with more improvement to come I bet). However, the Adagio's are a different animal in their warmth of presentation and transmission line bass vs. the impactful integrated bass of the Impact speakers and their overall portrait that has improved with the right amount of warmth yet more detailed.

So, subjective-I know. I have two wonderful, yet different Transducer's, is what I'm trying to say. I won't part with either.

I put a call in to Eric about what Caps are in the Impact. I know the board mount is located inside of the Woofer. I removed the screws, to open up and flashlight examine. However, the Woofer is glued adhered quite tightly to a felt gasket. I don't have the time to continue today. So, I will wait for Eric's call and find out what is in there, what he provides/recommends for Cap upgrade vs. me doing here. He offer's Clarity Caps or Mundorf S/Oils and Jansen Coil's for the DI's. Maybe it's a prefabed/hot glue board I saw on AgoN Thread....and sent to me and makes my life quite easy to install/solder a few lead wires here and hot glue to the speaker cab again.

Or, the way they are seasoning in.....I leave well enough alone. I'll see/hear at my standard 100 hour mark and further Adagio comparison that has Mundorf Mcap Supremes. The Adagio's offer a reference even though these Speaker's are quite different.....which makes it great to have both the Adagio and Impact!    ......time to shower and go to work, I owe, I owe, .....I owe.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/06/17 at 18:23:30

Hi Stone, well I guess it's  my fault your bank account is shy a few $$$$ since I started this thread LOL!  But I'm glad you're enjoying the new speakers and I'm living vicariously through your posts 😄

I'm curious to know what brand tweets are used with your Impacts?  Since I'm a treble sensitive person ...I'm wondering if there may be other options ... that is if the ones that are in there are too hot?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #39 - 04/06/17 at 19:22:15

Yeah, it's your fault beo.  ;D  I am glad you started this....this Impact is something.

I  have gone the way of no x-over's....when I modified my Adagio's with single caps. So, I was skeptical to try these. However, this 3 way design Impact, must be darn minimal in scope.

Good questions on the Tweeter's. Are they OEM to him or inhouse? I will find out. They were a little bright the first 10 hours.....and that has all changed to smooth and continued coherence which is influenced of course by the Caps too. They look like a polymide silk blend Tweeter. Tweeter's are big deal to me too. The in-house custom ones, from Mr. Lee, of his design, are pretty special in their timbre/tone abilities in my Adagio's. I freed them up from being set so low and set them higher according to the sweep and brought the two mid-woofers, up to what they were capable of. Man, they are good. So, you know I'm holding these Impact Tweet's to a high standard and how they are crossed is turning out to be beautiful sounding and coherent.

I won't get to speak to Eric today, but hopefully tomorrow (about Tweeters, Caps, Inductors + Resistors.  .....can I just change the Caps, without messing up x-over proprietary 3 way points)? I know enough to be dangerous.... . So, my guys at Midwest Speaker enlighten me on the gaps in my brain to fully get and they do the work/solder sling.

...got to get to work.   .....more in the coming days....... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #40 - 04/06/17 at 19:40:10

That's great to hear! I'm glad those are working out for you...I really like the design concept...it does follow the simplicity and speed that you and I appreciate!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #41 - 04/07/17 at 04:42:32

They are fast. The whole moving mass aligned deal here is very good. Heck of a good Speaker for the money. Ultimately though, do I want to have two Pair, or stick with my modified Adagio's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/08/17 at 13:32:22

well finally got over to my buddies house to listen to his double impacts with 2x 18" passive cinema subs.  hes had these for 3-4 weeks now with prob around 100hrs.

he driving the subs with a bryston sst and impacts with manely 250 classic mono's.  with some room eq'ing going on.  speakers in background are dunlavys (i didn't honestly think these tektons be in the same league)

we listened to various lps and cd's for 2-3hrs.  

wow!  the mid bass, mid, and highs are very smooth, articulate, and effortless.  the subs blended (crossing around 60hz) surprisingly well, to the point of not knowing they were in the room.  being a maggie/ob guy now, i didn't find anything boxy sounding about these at all.  they were fairly forgiving of the room config and responded well when moved around a bit.

going in i figured those tweeters would wear me out... just the oposite.  they are very smooth and detailed.  cymbals sounded like they were right there.  

despite the poor room dimensions the sound stage was very broad/high and deep.  instruments had good separation too.  

all in all i was quite impressed with them and felt i could live with them.

Stone sounds like your thoughts are similar.

20170407_183825.jpg

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/09/17 at 00:12:46

Speaker looks like an armament.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #44 - 04/09/17 at 14:41:24

Rr, the tweeter array looks like a gatlin ready to rotate and fire 😃

Trip, I can live with them too. Wish I could have heard the big guys there. My baby Impact continue to burn in nicely. As I mentioned and you heard/listened too-I will be keeping them. I like the little extra efficiency as well. Bells and Cymbals, are coming in exquisitely. Staying with the stock caps for now too.

1800 bones (delivered), heck of a good Speaker. Are my modified Adagio's better at twice the price? Ahh, yes. However, the Impact take no guff from them and deserve to be in the same room for rotation.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #45 - 04/09/17 at 17:54:51

I can't say enough about the tonal balance and detail -yet- it is relaxed. Real bass (the way it should be). 30+ hours now. Not laid back and not forward. Oh boy, dynamic.....I'm pushing 88db SPL RIGHT NOW ......with peaks of 92.....and no fatigue either.  Killer stage........ .

Lightning has struck twice for me in the place here!

Cheers ~ almost time for a Summit EPA............. .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #46 - 04/09/17 at 18:38:45

However, to be fair to them and me......I need to recap them with Mundorfs. I waited 5 months to recap my Adagio's.....I'm going to season in these drivers and recap in the fall.

'Nough said.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #47 - 04/11/17 at 23:42:05

I am so enjoying these Impact Speakers. I'm glad Eric A incorporated a 6 inch driver with his tweeter array and the one Eminence 10".  The detail, musicality and soundstage are just beautiful. With 41+ hours, they continue to grow in. The SB Acoustics Tweeters are very good. Not Mr. Lee's incredible Ribbon Tweeter found in my Adagio's, but, still quite good are the SB's.

My Adagio's have a little more red juicy meat on the bone and speak the Romance languages .....as one put it. The Impact however, are in no way thin .... They need to be heard!

I'm listening at my wheel house SPL of 79 to 84db, with an Ear's to Lip's Grin.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #48 - 04/13/17 at 17:10:12

What to choose?

To be fair to the impressive SB Acoustics Tweeters and the mid woofer and woofer + Eric Alexander's Design of the Impact Series......The Caps need to be ungraded now instead of later. I am impressed with this Speaker stock....it merits the upgrades to see where I can take them.....as I did my Adagio's.

My ears to brain for two years now, are wired for Mundorf MCap Supremes in my Adagio's. I can either recap my Impact here local/shop that did my Adagio's, or send back to Eric (or have him send me a new pair all done-I'll return ship my current Impact).

I will call Eric first and see what I/we want to do.

I am considering Duelund VSF-Cu Loudspeaker Capacitor's too.
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

But, the Mundorf MCap Supremes are such a proven winner for me..... .

Here is Eric's standard upgrade/from the Agon Thread....I will discuss with him first as I said, before I go local upgrade work.....all options (inductor coils - internal wire - resistor's too).

Caps matter! I am the stone of tone....I hear it......and the not so subtle, but sometimes subtle differences between the best of the best Input Tubes......because of my mod to my Adagio's.
OF COURSE, + the ZDSD with Steve's Output Tranny's and the ZMA with Jupiter Caps with his genius topology/voicing.
.....Kabling, is never to be underestimated either.  ;)

Eric wrote (3-20-2017):
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tekton-double-impacts?page=4

"There seems to be some confusion surrounding Double Impact upgrades.

Here's clarification:

1. The 'standard' Double Impact - a true expression of extreme performance within the niche of 'affordable hi-fi and home theater'. The cost is $3000 delivered for the pair. This speaker is available in any color under the rainbow and is featured in my "Soft Gloss" finish. This is the loudspeaker reviewed by Terry London

2. I have one upgrade option package to the 'standard' Double Impact and it's been available since day one. This upgrade is very popular accounting for 40-50% of all production as of today. I see that many clients posting on here own this option. This upgrade uses Cardas inputs, upgraded internal wiring, ClarityCap on the tweeter section, and an oversized Jantzen coil on the woofer section. The cost is $3300 delivered for the pair. This model is available in any color under the rainbow and is featured in my "Soft Gloss" finish."

PS-now with 50+ hours in them: The 4 ohm Taps from my ZMA seem to be the winner! The fluctuation of the impedance around this 4 ohm Impact Speaker......glad I have the 4 ohm Taps.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Thouston
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 06/02/17 at 14:50:40

Stone_of_Tone, what size is your listening room?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print