04/20/24 at 13:31:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What a Messed Up Day (Read 4860 times)
Robem
Verified Member

What a Messed Up Day
01/28/17 at 17:59:19

It's about 9:30 - 10:00 on a Saturday... Yesterday was a good day, I worked from home because I had a package coming via UPS that needed a signature. It arrived at about 5:30pm and was from a guy called Steve, it was my Rachael amp that I had ordered on November 5th last year. With more than 3 months of anticipation I duly got about taking this thing out of the box, bubble wrap was every where as I went through layer and layer my kids kept asking "what's that?" and "can I have the bubbles?".

By about 6pm all the bubbles were taken care of and for the most part everything was physically sitting where it needed to be, the amp was close to my turntable and the speaker cables were run between the Rachael and the DNA speakers. I started listening to some albums that I have that I've only listened to on my sennheisers.

Every thing is at this point going as planned. New speakers, new amp and a bunch of vinyl that I'm very comfortable with. My wife is humoring me and understands that I got a new piece of audio gear to listen to and she decided to remain in our bedroom watching the news at 6pm or something similar.

Well, before I know it time has ticked on and it's now time for the kids to go to bed. This is normally a moment where I would have turned the volume down and started thinking about sleep for myself.

Well, sleep was not on the agenda for me last night. As I said, the UPS package arrived at about 5:30 or 6:00pm. By 9:00pm I was listening to about the 4th album on this new amp and speakers and at the same time I was trying to convince my wife to "come have a listen".

I cannot for the life of me pinpoint the moment but somewhere between midnight and 1:00am something happened. the Rachael amp stood up and said to me.... "hey you, listen what I gotta tell you!" - with that we were both taken on a huge 5 hour ride of previously unheard dynamics and massive sound stages. This morning I am without words as to what we listened to last night but the same can be said for my wife, she has been a long time critic of me spending the money that I did and waiting such a long time for delivery so to me, her opinion is important! However this morning has us both on the same page.

Thanks from a happy customer Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: What a Messed Up Day
Reply #1 - 01/28/17 at 18:10:11

What you heard was the effect of clean power combined with a shield called planet earth between you  and the sun.  I've referred to it as the magic hour... or middle of the night bloom.  It's how things really sound.  When I first discovered it I was compelled to quit my job and become self-employed, which I did, and then began the ritual of 10:00 P.M ~ 2:30 ~ 3:00 A.M. listening every night for almost 17 years.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/28/17 at 18:16:22

Nice Robem. It has only just begun!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/28/17 at 18:31:18

Wow, interesting story.

It took my Rachael at least 100 hours of burn before it began to sound good.  However, I must admit, I've not listened to it during the midnight hour.  I've got to do that.

Congrats...

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/28/17 at 18:32:48

By the way, I've been intrigued by those DNA speakers for a long time.  

IP Logged
Robem
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/28/17 at 20:28:33

The DNA Speakers...

First, let me tell you..: they are not 28" high, they are more like 30-31" it's a big difference.

I will return back here as I can with sound profile impressions however at this point I am a little overwhelmed with what I heard last night. I need to make sure that my opinions are based on the speakers rather than the amp. At this point I'm not sure that I can explain the difference, the DNAs are fast as hell, the drivers seem to be outstandingly quick but they are paired with a strong full range bass. More to come on the DNA impressions.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 01/29/17 at 16:22:44

Great post Robem. Keep listening as it only get better and better. Many times I just shake my head and laugh as to how blessed I feel to have this magic happen in my living room anytime I want it. Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print