Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TORII JR. - For Sale (Read 15716 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

TORII JR. - For Sale
01/26/17 at 17:50:07

For sale is a 10-month old Torii Jr.  
Purchased 1/14/16 and received in Mar. 2016.  It's in perfect physical and working condition.  Despite being practically brand new, it was meticulously cared from birth to present.  

SALE PRICE:  $2100 + Shipping + Any Payment Fees (PayPal, etc/)
Features:
-Walnut Base
-Gold Knobs
-Stepped Attentuators (+$200)
-Beeswax Caps Type I
-Stock Tubes
PAID: $2695

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7oRfqI3O61RDNtWC03NFdfZFk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7oRfqI3O61ZmdiM0w1ZXUwZmc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7oRfqI3O61S0l1dWhDbS13N1E
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7oRfqI3O61cDJ1bkxWa21rRVk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7oRfqI3O61ejR1WHJ3V3NEbGc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7oRfqI3O61TFFnMURvUUxTUmc

Jadis JA-30 MKII//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205//EMM Labs DS-EQ1//DS Audio DS-003//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Pipedreams Reference 21 Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Re: TORII JR. - For Sale
Reply #1 - 02/18/17 at 23:09:50

...and she is sold!

Jadis JA-30 MKII//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205//EMM Labs DS-EQ1//DS Audio DS-003//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Pipedreams Reference 21 Speakers
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #2 - 02/19/17 at 20:01:39

And I purchased it.  First time Decware customer.  The Tori replaces 2 600 wpc monoblocks...  [smiley=tunes10.gif]

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 02/19/17 at 20:09:23

Welcome to the Decware family Ken.
I have had my Jr. for quite some time and it is a wonderful amp.
I replaced 400 wpc solid state amps also.
Glad I switched over.
Enjoy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/19/17 at 20:40:11

Welcome Ken! Would be interested in reading your impressions.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #5 - 02/20/17 at 02:11:59

Thanks!  I still haven't decided on the right speaker.  I'm considering Omega's, Decware's or Crites Cornscala's.  I would really appreciate advice on speaker choices.  I principally listen to mostly-classic rock and some classical.

Ken

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/20/17 at 02:22:18

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the purchase and welcome to the forum!  With the holiday  :)
tomorrow, it will go out on Tuesday via FedEx Home and should get there in 3-4 days.  

-Jeff

IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #7 - 02/20/17 at 02:48:30

No problem, Jeff.

IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/20/17 at 13:05:19

Ken,
I have been running Cornscalas with my Taboo and CSP2+ and the combination is absolutely fine, especially for demanding music. The Cornscalas are so efficient, they work extremely well with low power. I also run them on my Torii Mk 4 but I actually prefer them on the Taboo amp. The only problem with the Cornscalas are that they are so large, but they have to be built for the optimum bass response for the 15 inch woofers. They need a medium to large room to really perform. I have set them in a wide doorway to my large backyard for a party and they are amazing in what they produce. They are a real treat for power and presence. I also have, for the complete other side of the spectrum, a set of DNA's. They are not nearly as efficient as the Cornscalas.
Randy

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 02/20/17 at 21:01:02

Ken- Congrats on the great score and welcome to the tribe. We have Omega's that run off our Rachael/ZP3 and are loving life. Keep us posted and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/21/17 at 03:29:16

Congrats Ken,
I have Zu Soul Superflys driven by my Torii Jr. The Zu's are very efficient at 101db so I usually only need the volume set around 9 o'clock.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/21/17 at 06:30:43

Hi Ken,
What is your budget on speakers?  It certainly matters.  You can get a lot of bang for your buck with Decware speakers.  I have spent a lot of time with my Monoliths.  They are superb with my ZMA.  I feel the woofer is driven better with this amp and therefore balances the high and mids most excellently.  

When I ordered these speakers I threw a dart and added the "Midrange Option."  I truly believe, as Steve states, this option is room dependent.  Despite my room treatment shortcomings, I went ahead and ordered this option.  Having had a decent amount of time with these speakers on my Torii Jr. and now my ZMAA, I realize that I should have ordered them stock, without the midrange option, with my Torii Jr.  

I am really enjoying the sound of these speakers right now and I feel that the 945 Monoliths with the Torii Jr. would create a similar sound to what I am experiencing now in terms of balance.  The bases really do as advertised and create a fast, tight, musical low end.  I no longer feel compelled to use a subwoofer.  They get low in a good way and are capable of keeping up with the speed that Decware amps are so good at creating.  

If you have a high-end subwoofer (+$3000), then this aspect may not be of value, or at least less critical.  If you are subwoofer-free, or have a sub of lower class, then the frequency response of the Monoliths, particularly on the low end (25Hz), could be just what the Doctor ordered.  They hold their own in both 2-channel and home theater.  

Feel free to reach out to Steve for further advice, but I feel that the Monoliths, depending on your setup, should be a consideration.  Decware speakers are the real deal.  

I think Omegas and ZU's should also be contenders based on user feedback and specifications.  

So many options...   Good luck!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/21/17 at 07:42:58

After writing my previous reply, I came across DBC's Reply #13 here:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1484158418

This was very similar to my experience with the Torii Jr. and the Monoliths with the 946 midrange upgrade.  Mind you, this reply was based on the 946's without the Monolith companion bases which create a much lower base extension.    

I was using a Vienna Acoustics Subson (very nice and musical sub) to augment my Monoliths with the Torii Jr.

I am switching to a dual OB passive subwoofer setup using Caintuck's 15" "Augie" drivers, but in the right room and supporting setup, the Monoliths can be a hard-to-beat at their price point.  

Anyway, just more food for thought...

IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #13 - 02/21/17 at 12:08:33

All great advice.  My budget is pretty open -- enough for any of the Decware speakers.

I do have 2 Kef subwoofes, which are nice but certainly not "excellent."  In a very short email, Steve thought the DM947 (aka Monolith) would be good.

Has anyone heard the new Decware/Omega Super 3 High Output XRS?

Thanks to all

Ken

IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #14 - 02/25/17 at 23:23:34

Well, Sarah had a set of Monoliths ready to ship, so I bought them, along with a preamp.

The Tori JR arrived -- looks like it survived the shipment, but I won't be able to hook it up until Monday. Sad

Ken

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/26/17 at 13:35:01

ken
i sent you a pm on my "ready to ship" monoliths.... you not get it?
order without mid opt or something?
tim

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #16 - 03/09/17 at 13:23:07

Hi all,

I think this Tori Jr is so great, I ordered a new Tori amp/different configuration and a preamp!  So, I am reselling Jeff's Tori Jr, for what I paid:  $2095 plus $50 shipping.  I haven't yet posted it on a sale site, but will shortly.

Ken

IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #17 - 06/24/17 at 13:32:00

Hi, all.  I actually cancelled my order for a new amp, and am keeping the Tori Jr.  I finally decided  on Tekton Electra speakers, which, after suitable break-in, are quite fabulous.  I had Klipsch La Scala's for a while, but they were simply too imposing.

I did a long comparison with an Audio Source Galaxy 34 tube integrated, 600 watt Class D Audio monoblocks, and the Tori Jr.  No preamp was used with the Tiro or monoblocks -- I went straight from my Oopo 105.  After the comparisons, I asked my girlfriend to suffer through a couple more hours of comparison, as she had no idea what the amps were or, in fact whether amps made any difference at all.  She ultimately picked the Tori, as I had.  The Tori blew away the monoblocks, and bested the Audio Source but the Audio Source, for the money, remains a pretty darn good amp.

I encourage anyone looking for speakers in the ~$2,000-3,000 range to look at the Tektons.  Very unique design with super-light tweeters, and very efficient.
http://www.tektondesign.com/electron.html

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 08/14/17 at 16:56:10

Ken - nice setup.  I have been thinking about purchasing the Tekton Double Impact or Electron speakers and buying a Torii Jr to power them.  I would love to hear further thoughts from you on this combination now that you have been listening to the system longer.

IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Re: Tekton Electron review
Reply #19 - 08/14/17 at 17:05:37

Well, I've had the Electrons (#15 and #16) for two months, and am ready to review them.

For benefit of readers, I'm pretty experienced, having 15 years in audio retail and being a mid-price "audiophile" for 35 years.  Without all the blah-blah-blah, I've owned (or sold at the retail level) Revel, Martin Logan, ESS, B&W, Kef, Tannoy, Quad ESL, etc, speakers and good electronics, such as Levinson, Crown, Nakamichi, Rogue, Audio Research, Classe, Decware...  I also listen quite loudly at times, and have the system in a medium-to-large, open floor plan living room with cathedral ceilings.  The speakers are on a long wall, several feet from any corner.  I mostly listen to rock, female vocalists, some jazz and a little classical.

My first statement re the Electrons:  LET THEM BREAK IN!  This is necessary for two reasons: to let the drivers smooth out and increase detail, punch and clarity; and so you (the listener) can get used to this unusually open type of sound.  Don't judge them (or, likely, any Tekton speaker) on the first few days of listening.

When I first set them up, I immediately heard a very forward midrange with exceptional, though "horn-like," detail, but without corresponding bass and treble detail.  I, of course, wanted immediate gratification; however, instead of jumping to a quick conclusion that the Electrons were "peaky" in midrange or "rolled-off" in bass and highs," I backed off and decided to listen to a lot of different music and to let the speakers break-in.  While break-in periods may seem to be voodoo to some people, such a period is absolutely necessary here.

After a week or so, I realized I was hearing more midrange detail and openness than I had with my most-recent speakers (B&W 805 and Revel 208 - no slouches in their own right) -- and, frankly, it took some time listening to realize this.  Whereas my initial listening suggested a pronounced midrange "bump" in frequency response, I was now discovering not a "bump," but rather a remarkably clear and detailed sound.  After a few weeks, the treble and bass also opened up, smoothed out and began producing equally tight, well-integrated and detailed sound.  I guess I would describe the overall sound as "totally unmuffled," as compared to any other speaker I've heard in this price range or up to 3-4 times (or more) the price range; it's like someone took a sheet or blanket off the other speakers.  In fact, they blew away my Revel 208's, and I love those speakers.  Needless to say (but I will, anyway), I am truly impressed with these speakers and am enjoying my music collection as if brand new to me.

During this period, my non-audiophile girlfriend, who had listened a lot to my B&W's and Revels (but who doesn't know a woofer from a dachshund or a tweeter from a terrapin), also noticed "much better sound - really clear," although she could not explain it in audio terms.  Using the Electrons, I also compared my 3 amplifiers (20 watt tube, 35 watt tube, and 500 watt SS monoblocks), and within several songs, even she could hear the differences in the amps as exposed by the Electrons.  That's a pretty revealing test!  (My 20 watt Decware Tori Jr. won the contest, and drives the 95dB Electrons with ease.)

While having only 2 6" woofers, the Electrons go amazingly deep with great speed and detail (Eric told me the cabinets are tuned to 30Hz).  Lots of speakers go deep, or have a low-frequency peak to mimic depth, but few have such detail.  Would I switch them for Double Impacts? Probably not (although I thought about it a lot).  While I imagine the Double Impacts provide more "slam" in the lowest registers with 2 10" woofers (almost 2.5 greater area than 6" woofers), I would hate to take the chance of altering the seamless coherence, articulation and soundstage I'm experiencing with the Electron's 6" woofers and 4" midrange drivers.  (If Eric wants to send me a pair of Double Impacts to try out, I would accept the offer!)  A few days ago, I hooked up my 2 Kef subwoofers to see if I could increase the "slam" from 60Hz down.  I wasn't surprised when they added that gain, but unquestionably muddied the overall bass response.  If I determine that I really need more bass "slam," I'd then likely purchase a Tekton subwoofer to retain the speed and detail.  

Just one last thing -- another pretty revealing test.  I listened to my AKG 240 headphones to a couple of albums, but stopped because I lost so much detail and openness compared to the Electrons.  Usually, one listens to headphones to be more immersed in the detail of the music, but not here.  I think I need better headphones!

I think Eric is on to something with his patented design and is justified when saying:  "I personally guarantee there are subtle nuances and details contained in your favorite recordings that you’ve never heard until now and that is flat-out exciting for an audiophile or music lover! ...  I invite you to literally hear what you’ve been missing!"  It's true.

These are remarkable speakers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print