Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 16:58:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: For sale classic ZP phono stage... (Read 2733 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Re: For sale classic ZP phono stage...
01/20/17 at 01:03:41

I think your phono stage must be a ZP 1 or 1.5 because there is only input option on it.  The ZP 1 was apparently set up for MM cartridges and the ZP 1.5 was set up for MC.  And the ZP 2 has two input options with a switch to select one or the either.  Here is a white paper Steve wrote on the evolution of the ZP 1, ZP 1.5, and ZP 2.  

https://www.decware.com/paper26.htm  

One way you could find out is to remove the plate/s (fastened by screws, not hex bolts) and snoop around for those Sowter step up transformers Wink

By the way, quite a phono stage.  No a fantastic phono stage if I do say so myself.

Good luck with sale

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #1 - 01/20/17 at 02:51:27

litefootdan, I took your advice and opened it up.  It is a ZP1.  It has Steve's initials in it.  You can easily see the step transformer.

I think I'm going to put this sale on hold.
I've got to do myself a favor and give it a listen before I sell it.  I may have something here that I should keep.

SALE ON HOLD!!

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/20/17 at 20:36:32

I think you've done the right thing.  Unfortunately, someone else in the community might not get to enjoy the ZP 1.  Unless you would still like to let it go after your assessment.  

Due to the nature of time and mental acuity, I cannot be absolutely, positively certain... but I think that putting one of Steve's phono stages (ZP 2) in my system was the biggest audio improvement I've experienced.  It's really hard to know, but that phono stage re-defined listening for me.

At any rate, glad you are revisiting your ZP 1.  Please let us know your opinions about it.  

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print