Send Topic Print
Room Diffusers (Read 1358 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Room Diffusers
01/18/17 at 05:26:42

"There are really no limits to how holographic and textural the sound can become except those that man imposes upon it."

-Steve Deckert

Speaking of listening rooms...

If this room had carpet, plants, some Decware gear, maybe a chime or two... you would have to hand out Depends under garnets to first time guests to protect your listening chair.

Teachable moment... this room could have cost less than the gear in it.  In fact there's no reason 20 grand wouldn't have a room like this built for you and 10 grand and a year of your time to do it yourself.  YET... we spend 100 grand on speaker cables and accessories and call it high end.   Well if you're high I suppose you could see some justification to it, but it's a classic case of money over intelligence.  First off, if you do find some of the rare and special 100 to 500 grand systems that don't actually suck, to put it in anything less than a room like this isn't that much different from owning a Lamborghini that you can't take out of the driveway.  A riding mower would have been more fun to drive around in your driveway.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: A Visit To Decware - Jan 2017 - New Omega Speaker
Reply #1 - 01/19/17 at 01:36:33

That room is amazing - there was one shop that was importing those "golden horn" diffusers from Sweden, but they aren't importing any more.

There was a Chinese shop that cloned/copied them, but I can't seem to find any to purchase. I E-mailed the guy several times, but, just haven't heard back.

So...I've been trying to figure out how to make them out of wood myself. Only idea I have right now is a mortising press. I just happened to be eyeballing some on sale today, but I'm not sure it would even work honestly...so I'm not sure I'm willing to drop $400 on the press that might not work.

Yeah, we're on the same page there, Steve.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/19/17 at 18:20:28

LR,
Would it not be easier to get square wooden dowels and then just glue them up, better yet rip them yourself. Then get some thin wood and make a nice square box out of them.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/19/17 at 19:25:03

I've made skyline diffusers which are similar.  Each 24X24 has a lot of pieces so very time consuming to cut/glue and very heavy if you make them out of wood.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/19/17 at 19:32:29

There must be accoustic material drapes to cover these up. Y`know it`s kinda OTT to sit in an adverstising set.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 01/19/17 at 19:50:25

Quote:
There must be accoustic material drapes to cover these up. Y`know it`s kinda OTT to sit in an adverstising set.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
LR,
Would it not be easier to get square wooden dowels and then just glue them up, better yet rip them yourself. Then get some thin wood and make a nice square box out of them.

Quote:
I've made skyline diffusers which are similar.  Each 24X24 has a lot of pieces so very time consuming to cut/glue and very heavy if you make them out of wood.

That's my thoughts exactly. I'd have to make each 9 by 9 grid to a certain depth, then make 63 *more* like it, but at different depths - and that would be just one 24 x 24 golden horn!!  Here are some photos I tracked down to you can see them up close.

Now, my runner up plan to what you're suggestion, Deuce, is to make up some jigs, and cut out and assemble hundreds of those 9 x 9 sections, then just glue them to 4 x4 pine posts of the appropriate heights. But even that would be a HUGE undertaking.

So yeah, if I can find a shop in China that will churn out the cubes for me for 25 cents each if I buy a quantity of 1000, then we're getting somewhere!  

In the mean time, I'll probably just keep making my QRD diffusers....

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 01/19/17 at 22:45:23

L.R.,
Check around for plastic extrusions that match the basic shape. I'm betting that there is something available that you could buy in 8' lengths and then bandsaw them to various lengths. Maybe cap some of them or just fill um.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 01/20/17 at 03:18:04

I noticed that the 9 x 9 grid is the same on the entire panel, only the position of it changes.  Why not make a mold of the 9x9 grid and cast it out of liquid plastic resin from SmoothOn.com.  Then you could make a hollow risers to set the height of each grid.  Liquid plastic is only one possibility.  Liquid foam is another and might be my first choice since it would be super light, hard to break and resonance free.  Also be a nice absorber at the same time.

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/20/17 at 04:28:46

Looks like a job for a 3D printer. Wish I had one. And some more brains to run it.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 01/20/17 at 10:53:43

3Dprint the first one and then make a plaster casting of it. The original design will need to have some draft put in place so that your finished castings will be able to pull from the mold.
I've did this before.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/20/17 at 11:52:00

LR/Pal...life has prevented me from a longer post, but I wanted to thank you both for your thoughtful responses on holographic imaging.   When I get a moment, I'll start another thread so we don't distract from this one and can go a little deeper.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 01/20/17 at 16:53:29

I'm always glad to talk about holographic imaging.  :)

I've thought about casting those 9 x 9 bits, but I have a feeling the mold would tire and fall apart before even finishing one of them. I don't have much experience with casting, but the little I've done, the molds don't last terribly long.

Also, I thought I posted this in this thread, but wanted Steve to see some of these photos. Also done by the Swedish shop that does the Golden Horn panels.

Now these I *can* make!  (out of wood)

There is even a a version someone is making that they jokingly call the  "Ikea Version". This is more like what I was imagining in my head.

If I made it light enough, we could use them for ceiling panels.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/20/17 at 21:36:53

These are super cool looking and almost look like art.  If somebody could get one, make a cast out of it, they could possibly reproduce them in pretty much any color for not too much money.  Out of curiosity does anybody know how much these cost?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 01/21/17 at 02:15:12

You could ask them - but they don't ship to the States as far as I know.

http://www.diffusor.com/Goldenhorn.htm

However, there is supposed to be a shop here in Chicago that is supposed to be importing some of their other products. I got their card at the last Axpona I went to, but never visited. I think the photo Steve posted might even be their shop here in Chicago.

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: Room Diffusers
Reply #14 - 01/27/17 at 19:29:46

another slightly different perspective on achieving "holographic imaging" from two channel stereo....

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/The_Magic/The_Magic.htm

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 01/12/19 at 19:53:23

Bump, see, we have been talking about these for years. LOL

ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/12/19 at 20:02:35

Thanks, good reading  [smiley=74.gif]

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print