Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:21:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stylus force gauge recommendation (Read 5625 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Stylus force gauge recommendation
01/04/17 at 05:59:36

Everyone,

I am looking for some recommendations on a digital stylus  force gauge.   I just picked up a new Rega Planar P2 and need to get it set up.  

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Stylus force gauge recommendation
Reply #1 - 01/04/17 at 21:26:02

Dominick- I just looked though Amazon and found one with a 1 gram weight for calibration and it was around 50.00. Works fine every time I have used it. Good luck and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 01/04/17 at 22:19:10

Thanks Chris....I was originally hesitant about reading some of the Amazon reviews when it comes to audio gear, unless they identified themself as an audiophile.   The description in the Rega manual is straightforward on how to set the tracking force, but I would rather have the digital gauge to be exact.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/06/17 at 01:24:50

Get a Shure. They should run around $25.00 and it works fine.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 01/06/17 at 06:54:32

Thanks Jim!  I will check out the Shure gauges.  Since the Planar 2 does not have an adjustable bias setting like the Planar 3,  it's a bit more simplistic and straight forward.  I think the P2 for now will keep me happy.  I have heard that the new P2's are close in sound to the old RP3's.

IP Logged
Dartman5095
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/11/19 at 13:24:12

I use a generic scale purchased off of Ebay that works quite well
I think the shore recommendation is spot on for $25.00.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print