03/19/24 at 07:43:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Z Stage caps upgrades (Read 5958 times)
Eldchan
Verified Member

Z Stage caps upgrades
12/08/16 at 03:53:55

Hi Everyone, i am Alvin from the other part of the world Malaysia. I bought the z stage and been enjoying the unit tremendously in my system. i know we go round and round in trying to tweak systems to try and extract every ounce of "holy grail" sound possible, which is what i would do to truly enjoy music. As for me, to sent the unit back to decware and back would be cost prohibitive, so i decided to do the upgrade myself.  My questions is - i have a look inside the z stage and the coupling caps stock is GE .68uf 600VDC. If i were to replace them with Jupiters copper foil caps what value should it be. Have sent the same question to Steve some to months ago but got no reply so i thought i might get some help from this forum. Your advise would be very much appreciated.

IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Re: Z Stage caps upgrades
Reply #1 - 12/09/16 at 18:50:55

.47 mf, orient the caps inthe same direction for both channels.

IP Logged
Eldchan
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/10/16 at 02:52:19

Ok thx. but i wonder if the lower in the value of the caps it would retard the bass a little? I would certainly try the .47uf copper caps from jupiters and will report on the result. thx alot.

IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/16 at 03:42:57

Yes the capacitive reactance will be higher, say @50hz the reactance for .47 will be 3387 ohms for .68 2341 ohms but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Your amplifier will probably have a higher reactance than the zstage and depending on the tubes and speakers, those will have more impact on the bass notes then the zstage. Of course its your system and you can choose any value you like. Jupiter does manufacture a 1uf cap, that I know of. I'm just saying if you sent the unit to Decware the .47 is what you would get.

IP Logged
Eldchan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/12/16 at 03:57:00

Thx Denisen, that helps explain alot and if decware uses .47uf in their upgrades then i will trust their judgment as i will match it with the older select amp that i will be getting.  the se84cs amp does have alot more base than other set amps (i think). I am trying to save a few dollars by going with .47uf rather than 1uf.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print