Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 14:45:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
faint "hissing" just started; please help diagnose (Read 2104 times)
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

faint "hissing" just started; please help diagnose
12/04/16 at 22:50:30

Hi all,
Since I'm a tube newbie, I figured this is the best place to ask a question about something I observed.
Last night at the end of an extended listening session, I got up to shut things down for the night, and noticed there is a faint "hissing" sound coming from the tweeter of my right speaker (since purchasing my Torii Mk III, my speakers have been pretty much dead silent, even if I put my ear right up to them (in contrast to with my former solid state amp...).  I checked the left speaker and it is still dead silent.  Is this reason for concern?  The sound is still glorious, so I'm guessing it can't be anything too serious.  Does this, perhaps, mean one of the tubes may be slightly "off"/ready to be changed?  If so, how would I diagnose which one is the culprit?
Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: faint "hissing" just started; please help diagnose
Reply #1 - 12/05/16 at 05:12:06

The process is fairly simple... you'll want to focus on the tubes that deal with the audio, so basically that means the EL34's and the 6922's.  Just swap one tube at a time between the two channels until you hear the hiss come from the other speaker.  Start with the 6922's.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print